What's new

Just won Razor

Hello, I just won a cheap razor on ebay. I posted another thread and explained that I was given my grandfathers straight razor in bad shape and forgot it at my mother's house in the us, it got stored with some other stuff in her outbuilding where she cannot get to it. When i get to it I want to restore it, if it's beyond restoring it will just be an heirloom. I got this one to refinish for practice and if it turns out to be a good shaver it will be a plus. It's listed as an Alwin Ontario Cutlery Straight Razor - Geneva N.Y. USA and it has an indian stamped on the (tang?). Just wondering if these are any good and if this particular one looks any good. It only cost 10.99 so I can handle the truth.:)

$$(KGrHqF,!rUFIe,8MwHNBSO7D5r1vg~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Yes, that should be a fine shaver once it is honed. Vintage American steel is fantastic.

Thanks, so I guess it looks in decent condition for restoring? I am thinking change scales, clean up blade, hone and strop. Try to learn several things with it.

Changing the scales is probably not necessary (I'm assuming they aren't broken), but that doesn't mean you can't still do it.

Thanks silver, I will look close at the scales when I get it, but I was looking at some red buffalo horn that looks real purdy. I only get my mail forwarded once a month and probably would not replace them right away as anything that way takes time but if I do it would be for experience forming and sanding. If they are in good shape I will try to "spruce" them up. I did custom 1911 work in the us, but can't do that here so i'm looking for a "hobby" to keep me busy. Not a business at all, just something to do. Kind of start a cheap restored collection.

Does anyone have an opinion of the specific "brand"?

Last edited:
Just north of the heel, it looks like there is a wider section of bevel that may indicate a slight frown. Notice the hone wear on the spine directly above that position.

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a little extra time on the stones.
Should polish up nice and new scales are always fun.

Thank you for pointing that out. I still have to get stones, etc. and it will take a while but I think it will be enjoyable. Even if it by chance the razor turned out to be a bust it would be fun learning.

I have been doing a lot of reading, watching videos, etc. and I know I need to "set the bevel" so hopefully I can whip it into usable shape.

Top Bottom