What's new

Gillette Slim Question

I have completed eight DE shaves so far: first 4 with a Ball End Tech with Astra SP's, the next 4 with a Super Speed Flair Tip with Astra SP's. I am planning on using my Gillette Slim adjustable for the first time tonight with Astra SP's. Would you all advise starting out with it set to 5, and then adjusting from there? Thanks in advance.

Five on the Slim I have is more aggressive than my Flare Tip Rocket, and the Tech is also supposed to be pretty mild. But my honest advice would be to stick with just one razor for a while.

As a slim user, I consider 5 a bit high compared to the razors you have been using. There are so many variables that there can be no definitive answers. I have found the range of settings to be highly blade dependent. One of the real advantages of an adjustable razor for a newbie is that you can try to find the best combination of setting and blade to get optimum results for your beard, skin, preparation methods, etc. If you use a blade more than twice you might also find that an adjustment gives better results.

In my experience, I start any unfamiliar blade at three. What works for me, however, might not be best for you. I would recommend you stay with the slim, as long as you have one, because you can learn more with it than you can any single fixed razor.

“What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence.” – Samuel Johnson

3 is the standard setting that works for most people. It will go from mild to wild with a few clicks. Start on one or two and adjust from there.

The important thing to remember is to open the butterfly doors before making any adjustments. You can ruin the razor if you try to adjust it with everything locked down.

You've received a lot of great advice. My Slim is set at 2. With a Feather blade I get a great, nick / razor burn free shave every time.

You've had eight or nine shave so far. Pick a razor, or a razor with a single setting (2 or 3 with the Slim IMHO) and stick with it until you get your technique down. That's not going to happen in two weeks. Relax and learn...

Buy a multi-blade package and experiment with the blades. (West Coast Shaving is where I bought my first multi-pack.) Don't decide on the blade after one shave. Use it a few times. Only experiment with one factor at a time. That is, don't change more than one shave factor at a time and give each change at least two or three tries.

Have fun and take your time... The nice thing about shaving is you get to do it again in 24 hours or so.

You've received some really good advice so far! I currently have a slim that I use fairly often, and I started off at 3 and worked up until I found what worked for me. The one thing I might add to what has already been said is that you should map out your beard. I didn't do this at first and only received mediocre shaves no matter what gear I used. Once you map out your beard you can attack it with the most precision and get optimal shaving results. I think there is a shavewiki article that will tell you how to do this. I hope this is helpful and enjoy your slim!

Top Bottom