What's new

Hello from Idaho

Probably time to make my introductory post. Found out about B&B from a guitar forum (thegearpage.net/board) and the Art of Manliness blog and videos. Its not an exageration for me to say that these events were "life-style changers" for me. I have (for years) used cartridge razor to shave in the shower or just after, with no cream or lather. Just a quick and dirty chore before work, performed at 5AM every workday. I have sported a mustache and chin strip for many years.

Thoroughly intrigued by the idea of taking better care of my face and beard, I dove right in to wet shaving. My obsessive surfing of guitar websites has taken a backseat to razors and gear. Guess what? The most beautiful and desireable vintage razors cost a tiny fraction of what the cheapest guitar in my collection set me back. (Don't get me wrong - I still loves me my guitars). RAD is actually saving me money! (Still trying to get my wife to see this - HA!)

So I started with a Merkur 34C , Feather, a nice badger, and Proraza. Wow! Hooked immediately. Started cruising the bay, and found good deals on following vintage Gillettes:

46/47 Tech (actually have 2, but got the pair for $6. They cleaned up real nice!)
46/47 Aristocrat (ok, I have 2 of these as well, too cheap to pass up)
58 SS Fare-tip (yep, 2 of these - one is a rhodium re-plate)
Ball end Tech ( probably late 40's) Just used this for 1st time today. Great BBS shave!)
And a very nice short comb New on the way for OC-tober.

Most of my duplicates will be gifted to my adult sons and son-in-law. Can't wait to start looking in the wild. Finally, something to do when my wife drags me into an antique store!

Anyway, cheers and thanks for all the great tips and info!

By the way, in the spirit of "How to Shave Like Your Grandpa", my avatar is a photo of my dear old Grandad from the 1920's.

Top Bottom