What's new

Done with Merkur

At these prices, buying a razor shouldn't be a crapshoot.

Move up the scale to $150+ and it's the same with their straights.
I've got several Dovo straights. One is warped so badly that it is not usable (beyond my skills to hone).
Two have distorted scales.
None shave as well as my Wacker.

Merkur's tolerance levels seem to be massive of late! It seems they will let anything out the door! :lol::lol::lol:

If you get hardware that is correctly plated then it is a very good product, but that seems to be a 50/50 proposition now a days.

Hence the reason I don't want to buy anymore "New" razors. I've found more joy in finding and experimenting with vintage razors of all types and shapes. The "New" stuff just has such low standards in an age where quality products are hard to come by. Name of the game seems to be how cheap can we make it and how much can we make off of it.

I hate to see this happening. Any Merkur Ive owned has been fine. Of course the ones I have are now almost 5 years old, so maybe they were before the problem period? I'd contact them though, and see if they'll make good on the defective ones.

I don't know, the prices for Gillette's seems to be jumping up lately, on the bay. Nevermind that so many of the better pieces have obvious shill bids in the bid history. It's really hard to find decent pieces in the antique shops, there is no re-stock once an item sells.

The thread OP starts with a picture of a Progress and then has two additional pictures of a Futur, I guess, but who knows at that point? I have a lot of razors and many of them are Merkurs with not a one having any kind of a problem. I collect Progress and slants so Merkur is well represented. Many others have small to large problems because of previous poor maintenance or abusive treatment. I can't point to one, Merkur or otherwise, that has had spontaneous de-plating. Maybe I am lucky. After a years use it is hard to tell what is responsible for any particular problem. No razor is maintenance free and bullet proof if blades are left in them or they are not cleaned after use. Water, sinks, blades, whiskers, operator none of it is a friendly environment. The problem children (razors) get all the attention in these cases. Merkur sells thousands of razors where other companies 10s and 100s. I would bet their ratio of problems to sold products is very low and probably in line with any other razor company and manufactured product. And they have always been responsive when I have had a problem. Most products do not have a lifetime or indefinite guarantee to begin with. So how long should Merkur hang in there? If it was me and I liked the razor I would write them and ask to purchase the problematic part explaining what happened and they usually send you a new one.

I don't know, the prices for Gillette's seems to be jumping up lately, on the bay. Nevermind that so many of the better pieces have obvious shill bids in the bid history. It's really hard to find decent pieces in the antique shops, there is no re-stock once an item sells.

I second that. Been noticing a lot more razors jumping upwards in price from bidding. I've lost 5 or more bids lately for items I would have normally been able to grab. Plus I had to star watching my items like a hawk, or someone would sneak in and snag it out from under me with less than a minute to go. It's only going to go up from here, I'm sure, as a lot more people start finding this way of shaving.

I also had a talk with a guy at a flea market I frequent about how I've been by more and more lately and finding that I used to walk away with at least one new buy, but not so much lately. He said that more barbers have been stopping by and snagging what I usually had a chance at. They're taking them and putting them on display in their shops. As much as I like looking at them, I like finding them mostly to shave with something old and nostalgic. Can't blame them for grabbing them up, but I hate missing out more and more now. Just an added part of the challenge, lol.

I've got one Merkur, a Futur that has no quality issues and is one of my favorites. But, after reading quite a few of these posts, I don't know that I'd buy another Merkur.

I remember hearing Muhle and Merkur razors were made by the same company, not sure about the plating though.
I think its Edwin Jagger and Muhle that are made by the same company. At least the heads are the same, not the handles.

R41 is not Merkur. It is Mühle.

sorry what i meant to say was its the last pot metal type razor. i have a couple jaggers that will also be for sale soon. unless i find something great i dont plan on buying any more of the pot metal type heads. loving the stainless ones i have right now.

If you have the money buy what ever price point you are comfortable with.

I do not sell Merkur anymore myself, just a few pieces left, however what is the difference between a Merkur, a Muhle, and a Jagger. None are stainless steel level of quality. All are cast zinc heads.

Ugh! I wonder how my 15C will be... It is on its way. This is not sounding good.

I love my Merkur 15c. Use it as my shower razor when I'm running late. Never had any problems with it at all - fit or finish. Same with my Merkur 11c. Don't worry, just enjoy. Its mild but gives excellent shaves.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The thread OP starts with a picture of a Progress and then has two additional pictures of a Futur, I guess, but who knows at that point? I have a lot of razors and many of them are Merkurs with not a one having any kind of a problem. I collect Progress and slants so Merkur is well represented.

This has been my experience as well, I have had zero problems with the many (well over twenty) Merkurs I currently own and have sold. The first pic doesn't really show me much, the blade gap is incorrect? Not even sure what razor the other pics are. Regardless, I have owned multiple pot metal razors and take reasonable care of them without ever having any bad results. Merkur has taken care of many members here -- I'm saying this for individuals who may be on the fence, they sell tons of good razors to many satisfied customers.

Who makes stainless razors?
sorry what i meant to say was its the last pot metal type razor. i have a couple jaggers that will also be for sale soon. unless i find something great i dont plan on buying any more of the pot metal type heads. loving the stainless ones i have right now.

many companies. ikon, tradere, weber, above the tie. otherwise if i cant get a stainless head i prefer a brass head to pot metal. like most older gillette or fatip joris among others.

About three years ago, there were rumors flying around B&B that Merkur was in the process of re-tooling their factories to deal with the QC issues. They were not introducing new models, just replacing the worn-out equipment that produced their current line-up, in order to address complaints similar to the OP.

Interesting, I purchased two Futur's around three years back, one for myself and one for bruv as a special Xmas treat. Mine went straight back for replacement as the blade sat so badly askew it was dangerous, the replacement was better but both of our razors do not align the blades very well, you can see that they sit slightly askew with bigger gaps one corner than the other and also different gaps each side. Bruvs one sounds and feels like its filled with gravel when you adjust it even though it has been disassembled, cleaned and oiled several times. Mine was similar but a good clean did cure it so at least the adjustment is smooth. Neither of the adjustments stop correctly at the 1 mark or 6 mark so that's pretty poor for a "quality" razor and depending on how you re-assemble it can be out or very out but never aligned. couple of weeks back, the tab that stops the adjustment broke off when re-assembling my razor after a clean. i'm afraid they are not a razor manufacture I would recommend. However, on the plus side they are brush steel and the surface seems fine - lol

Steve V

Top Bottom