What's new

Lathering with a silver tip

Oh Great Sages of Shaving,

I took Mantic59's advice and bought this silvertip brush at a great price. It's my first silvertip after about five months using two different pure badger brushes.

I love the feel of this brush, but it definitely doesn't lather as easily as my other two. I can tell is soaks up more even though it has a smaller knot.

Can anyone offer any tips or tricks to help me build thicker lather with a silvertip?

Thanks.

Are you lathering on soap or cream? In a bowl/scuttle or straight to your face?

I can't comment on this particular brush but I've never had an issue with my silvertips (from different makers).

If anything, the silvertip is an absolute machine for making lather with cream (a bit trickier with soap).

If you're using soap, you'll probably need to spend more to loading a softer silvertip brush to get the same amount of soap that you did from using the stiffer pure badger brushes.

The hair is finer, so it will pick up a little less soap, and it will hold a little more water. Are you having a thin, foamy lather? If that's the case, spend a little more time loading with a bit drier brush, then slowly add water as you mix the lather (either face or bowl). On the plus side, when you do get the right mix, the brush will hold a lot more lather for more passes and the feel is much softer!

I'm sorry. I should have mentioned I'm using creams. I have soaps but haven't tried this brush with them yet.

I face or bowl lather.

And what I'm getting thus far is more thin and runny than the results with my other brushes.

Silvertip tends to hold more water. Start with less water on your brush and as you begin to get some lather, gently pick up some more water on the tip of the brush then mix some more and repeat as many times as needed until you get the lather consistency you want.

Every brush is different. You just need to become familiar with the needs of this brush.

^ Agreed - the old 2 shake method really does to apply to Silvertips. I find that keeping the brush "damp" is even too much when using certain creams.

Last edited:
Stay with it. I have a WD 22mm silvertip that is about to put all of my other brushes to pasture. Nothing lathers as well, or feels as nice as that brush. Find the place where it works, and you'll be very happy with the results.

Brushes with more scritch tend to load soaps a little bit better. A lot of people like using creams with their silvertips. Personally I don't own any silvertips anymore, just 2-band finest's and one boar. You may have better luck with a soft soap like Cella or Stirling.

^ Agreed - the old 2 shake method really does t apply to Silvertips. I find that keeping the brush "damp" is even too much when using certain creams.

I think if you're getting thin lather, then the brush is too wet or you're overhydrating. By all means, soak the brush first, but then I'd err on the side of overdrying it, really shaking it out before going for the lather. Then, if the lather is dragging or paste-like, start incorporating water a few drops at a time til it starts to thin down a bit and become glossy.

You're much better off starting with a drier brush and drier lather and adding water.

Some great suggestions on this thread. I look forward to trying it again in the morning. Thanks, gents.

I had better luck today. Started with less water, then added some a little later and it really did explode into a pretty nice lather. Thanks for the tips, fellas.

Top Bottom