What's new

Opinions on Tradere OC?

We'll I've only been wet shaving with a DE for about 3 weeks. I've purchase several nice razors here on the forum trying to see what I like. The problem is I haven't used one that I don't like. One in particular that I like is a New that I received in a package deal. It shaves great and has me looking for other Open Comb razors. One that I'm looking at is the Tradere OC. Seems to get pretty good reviews with the 1st Gen having a more aggressive shave. What are your thoughts on this one?

I love mine but I'm not sure with just 3 weeks into DE shaving if I should recommend it to you. Would be easier if you listed the other razors you tried. The Tradere OC is not really cheap, beautifully made, a somewhat moderately aggressive shaver IMO, probably will take a week or two before you find the right angle and technique to get the most out of it. (I have the 2nd Gen btw).

I found that the Tradere, while beautifully made, required a specific angle which was different to my other razors and not getting it quite right resulted in getting bitten. Of course YMMV, but I ended up selling mine.

I have a 2nd generation Tradere OC & it is my favourite razor. Due to the head design, it does take a while to get used to the shaving angle. I have found it has two cutting angles, one with the end cap almost parallel to my face & the handle at close to 90 degrees (aggressive) & the other with the teeth at just shy of 90 degrees to my face & the handle almost parallel to my face (mild). I shave different parts of my face with the aggressive , or mild angle.

The 3 razors that are constantly in my rotation at present are the Tradere, a FaTip & a Gillette Slim (set to 8). The Tradere shaves closer than my Slim, but not as close as my FaTip. In terms of smoothness, the Slim gives the smoothest shave, very closely followed by the Tradere & with the FaTip in third place. The Tradere, due to the blade tabs being enclosed in the head, is best for shaving under my nostrils, but out of the 3 razors, it is the least effective at shaving my top lip, where my beard growth is at its most dense. I think this is a combination of the head geometry & lack of skill on my part. I could never get a good shave on my top lip with my Muhle R89 either. I think that the extra bend put in the blade by FaTips & Gillette TTOs seem to suit me, whereas the blade in the Tradere is pretty flat.

I have a First Gen Tradere OC #0009, and it's one of my favorite razors. It's a bit more aggressive than my other go-to's, the iKon OC Deluxe 2010 and 2013 Bulldogs and the English NEW. I pulled it out for a run this week, and got one of the smoothest and closest shaves I've ever experienced. It's earned a spot in my starting lineup.

I think that you'll like the Tradere OC. The Second Gen is said to be a bit less aggressive than the First Gen.

Regards,

Last edited:
Guess I should have mentioned what I have. Will probably get some models wrong.

Muhle 41r Grande
DJ89
Ikon Slant
Fatboy
Slim
New open comb
Travel Tech
Rocket
Merkur 34c?
1904 (enroute)

The Tradere, due to the blade tabs being enclosed in the head, is best for shaving under my nostrils, but out of the 3 razors, it is the least effective at shaving my top lip, where my beard growth is at its most dense. I think this is a combination of the head geometry & lack of skill on my part. I could never get a good shave on my top lip with my Muhle R89 either.

I do not know how you shave your upper lip, but the method is definitely different with a big DE than with a small cartridge. With a cartridge you can do up and down movements, but with a DE up/down will scratch as you can not get a good angle under your nose. With my R41 I always begin pulling from the middle of the lip towards the sides. Once that is done, I go from sides towards middle. Like that I get BBS upper lip in two passes with R41.

Never mind my latest post, I saw a picture of a Tradere OC. I fully understand why shaving the upper lip is problematic.

My Tradere OC is quite poorly machined and poor quality for the price. Thus far I had no response from Westcoast Shaving and the manufacturer in addressing the several issues that I have provided evidence of. So at this stage it's poor or nil customer service from vendor and arrogance on part of manufacturer. When you are buying from Australia it's a hit and miss affair and suppliers get away with taking your money and then not backing their product up. The advertised pictures of the Tradere make it look like a work of art however what I have is far from it. I would not recommend anyone buy a razor that is machined as the Tradere is and ensure that what they are buying is either cast or drop forged with minimal machining and lapping. If you have a critical eye and are looking for quality you will be very disappointed with Tradere as I am.

I have a First Gen Tradere OC #0009, and it's one of my favorite razors. It's a bit more aggressive than my other go-to's, the iKon OC Deluxe 2010 and 2013 Bulldogs and the English NEW. I pulled it out for a run this week, and got one of the smoothest and closest shaves I've ever experienced. It's earned a spot in my starting lineup.

I think that you'll like the Tradere OC. The Second Gen is said to be a bit less aggressive than the First Gen.

Regards,

By the way, I forgot to mention, Tradere OC #0009 is, in my opinion, a work of art, exceptional in design and flawless in execution. Even if it weren't a superb shaver, I'd keep it around just to admire.

By the way, I forgot to mention, Tradere OC #0009 is, in my opinion, a work of art, exceptional in design and flawless in execution. Even if it weren't a superb shaver, I'd keep it around just to admire.

+1

I have both 1st and 2nd generation Tradere OCs. I like them both a lot, but frankly, my vintage NEWs are better shavers.

I was a pre-purchaser before the razor was released and received one of the 1st gen razors.

The quality and shave was top shelf.

If you are looking for a fine razor you need not look any further that Tradere

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was a pre-purchaser before the razor was released and received one of the 1st gen razors.

The quality and shave was top shelf.

If you are looking for a fine razor you need not look any further that Tradere

I was an early bird as well. Not where I can see my number. It is an excellent shave but can bite so if you are new just be cautious until you get the angle.

"Has anyone used a Tradere OC recently?"

I have been using my 2nd generation Tradere OC everyday for the last two weeks. It bit me twice today; however, that is rare. I blame the Feather blade. I find it isn't the smoothest in my rotation; however, I enjoy its nuances to mix things up and its close shaves. The covered tabs are why I bought it over other stainless models. It's my go to head shaver. The exposed tabs on my other razors occasionally cut my ears. I prefer a milder blade with it. I have no complaints about the craftsmanship. I usually use a DE89 which gives me a more comfortable shave.

I too have been curious when they will start production again. I want to get the SB head since I have an extra Tradere handle. Does anyone know why production stopped?

Top Bottom