What's new

Saddleback New Leather

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh dear, that does not bode well.

Does anybody have similar experiences with larger products? (I could see them wanting to use thinner leather on the smaller pieces, as the thick leather all the way through makes small items unwieldy ... sort of like trying to make a spice rack with 2x4's. That was actually a complaint I had about their small items in the past ... but that sort of thing obviously wouldn't go over well with briefcases and backpacks and such.)

I recently bought the saddleback leather bi fold wallet in carbon and was impressed with it. This is my first product by them but I love it. Compared to my old Coach wallet my sister got me for Christmas 2011, it is top notch heavy leather. The Coach wallet feels like plastic crap to me now. There is a small scar on it but it's pretty unnoticeable.

I recently did a Google search concerning the change in Saddleback Leather quality and stumbled upon this thread so I thought I'd share my thoughts as well. I little background...I have been a fan of SBL for years and own approximately 10 of their items. Recently I ordered a new medium billfold wallet in black carbon and another to give as a gift. Ive had mine for about 18 months. The one I just ordered came from Dave's Deals so I was hoping it would be the "old style"...but it wasnt. Although a bit disappointed...it is a great comparison of the new leather they are using and the old that I fell in love with. Let me say that while I am a fan of their company...there is no way of getting around the fact that the quality has changed as you can see clearly from this photo of both wallets side by side:
attachment.php

The top one is the new one and you can clearly see (a feel) a difference in the leathers thickness and weight. Overall, the new wallet is more flimsy. I noticed this with a few other products of theirs as well. I have since returned this wallet. While I am still a fan, this recent change is clearly a form of a price increase...charging the same amount for a lesser product. I would have preferred if they raised the price a bit and not changed the quality. Unfortunately I do think that their business will ultimately be affected. I just wanted to share my experiences...

If those two pictures are indeed supposed to be of the same model wallet, their quality has done more than slip, it has gone completely in the toilet!

ya im kind of sad about this whole turn of events with saddleback

Me too. I just picked up an ID wallet through dave's deals and I'm wondering if that was a mistake now. Oh well, I'll save judgement for when it arrives. Eitherway, I won't be purchasing any more of their items :crying:

I'm still undecided on what I think of the new tobacco color, which had been my favorite, but the photos are concerning. I wonder, though, as Doc4 mentioned whether the thinner leather is confined to some of the smaller goods where it could actually be beneficial without necessarily compromising durability. I'll be curious to hear reports as others try the new leather.

If those two pictures are indeed supposed to be of the same model wallet, their quality has done more than slip, it has gone completely in the toilet!

That may be a different issue. I believe they mentioned about a year or two ago that they actually redesigned the wallet with thinner leather in places because the original thick leather was damaging the cards. I could be wrong.

There is huge Saddleback thread on Styleforum.com that is frequented by Saddleback reps to answer questions, address concerns, etc. Might be a worthwhile trip over there.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

That may be a different issue. I believe they mentioned about a year or two ago that they actually redesigned the wallet with thinner leather in places because the original thick leather was damaging the cards. I could be wrong.

There is huge Saddleback thread on Styleforum.com that is frequented by Saddleback reps to answer questions, address concerns, etc. Might be a worthwhile trip over there.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Yeah, I think this is it (for the wallets anyway). I've had my wallet for almost two years and always had this problem, I'm constantly getting cards replaced. I had never even thought to ask them about it, I just figured that that's what happens and eventually it would wear in. I just messaged them on facebook and told them about my issue, and said that they've redesigned them to solve this problem, and to send them an email about it, I'll let you guys know what they say.

Agreed... I recently purchased items from saddleback and generally happy with purchase. Im not sure if i like the new tobacco color, its a bit dark for my taste... An item i received seems to have had an entire spot forgotten (in dyeing process?) and it seems like 1 inch is the old tobacco color and the rest is the new color... hhm...

Regarding quality, i unfortunately have nothing to compare with but the image provided does paint a rather bleak picture...
I definitely regret not making a purchase in the earlier days as I have been following saddleback since a few years now.

Several Saddle Back items were on my "To Buy List" when I had some disposable income. I liked the idea of getting durable , high quality leather products even if they were a bit pricey. I can get cheap crap anywhere and not pay through the nose for it.

Totally disagree. Quite the contrary in fact. Today a lot more people (including myself) prefer something that's durable but also thinner. I don't need a freaking George Costanza wallet! Obviously SBL made the decision to modify their wallets to satisfy the market's demands. I have the "new" version bifold as well as business card carrying wallet, and LOVE them both. For those of you saying that it's thinner so will likely break or stretch, I can tell you unequivocally that's not the case. I've had mine for over a year and there's no way those things are or are going to be compromised in any way. They've found an excellent balance between style and functionality/durability.

With all that said, it's fair to criticize or debate whether he scarring and "imperfect" leather is an acceptable change or not...

Saddleback seems inexpensive after searching for new wallet, everything else was was over 150 for decent leather. Ended yp buying a big skinny leather hybrid world bifold, like how thin but the stench and cheap feel may have me sending back. Need 7 to 8 outside pockets would prefer slightly less square than the world. Orvis around a 100 for 10 to 12 pocket bifold.

5-6 insurance cards company debit and credit cards, personal debit and credit cards state licenses. The worst is the stupid fill up and free cards (coffee , yogurt, pizzas ect) . A saddleback medium with one more row of slots and 1/2" wider would be perfect. The big skinny may be ok if it holds up, the Columbia it is replacing is 5 yrs old.

Saddleback seems inexpensive after searching for new wallet, everything else was was over 150 for decent leather. Ended yp buying a big skinny leather hybrid world bifold, like how thin but the stench and cheap feel may have me sending back. Need 7 to 8 outside pockets would prefer slightly less square than the world. Orvis around a 100 for 10 to 12 pocket bifold.

5-6 insurance cards company debit and credit cards, personal debit and credit cards state licenses. The worst is the stupid fill up and free cards (coffee , yogurt, pizzas ect) . A saddleback medium with one more row of slots and 1/2" wider would be perfect. The big skinny may be ok if it holds up, the Columbia it is replacing is 5 yrs old.
Saddleback makes the large bifold...have one myself...works well

Hmm. "Slick businessman", indeed. I posted a month ago about the company's weird, sometimes dubious behavior and how Dave rubbed me the wrong way the more I saw of him and read. And now this?

Just cut the spin and be honest. He's trying to save himself money. If I was being completely objective and looked at it from a business point of view, it makes sense. But the way he's trying to spin it is just...ugh. It's indicative of the type of person this guy is. The more I read and the more I see make me less inclined to buy from him. Maybe that's wrong. Maybe I should judge the product instead of the attitude. But it's just turning me off.

So let me get this straight: a bag that has built-in scars from the cow is full price, but a non-cow-scar bag that has scars made by people is in Dave's Discounts, and you have the option of putting your own scars on a cow-scar bag that is full price? Wow, I've got to hand it to the guy. He's a character. I'll stick with Floto, thank you.

Top Bottom