What's new

Saddleback New Leather

I got a Saddleback wallet for my birthday and was really impressed with the quality.

I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind purchasing a suitcase from them with the scarring. Actually, makes it a little easier for me if it's already scuffed a bit because then I won't worry about it so much when I accidentally add to the scuffs. However, it should be available at a lower price than current items, and the current pristine leather versions should still be available to customers.

Seems like laziness on their part. As well a slap in the face to past customers who have come to expect a certain level of quality.

As for the "creative" spin he's trying to put on it...

$lipstickpig.jpeg

I get the point you guys are making (and it's kinda where I am as well) but I'm not quite ready to write him off entirely. I'm still willing to give it a shot. Could be uniquely cool.

Well, anyway, until someone sees one and posts their impressions, I'm not ready to "pile on"....

Ken

Someone has to pick one of these up now though and give us a first hand review. I'm with all of you and thrilled that I picked up a briefcase at the beginning of the year but I'd like an objective review of the new stuff still

This is hilarious. The amount of spin is ridiculous, why would I buy a leather bag with damage on it without getting a discount? I mean don't get me wrong I would buy it if I had the money because I like the style, but charging the same amount as undamaged leather is a joke.

Last edited:
He tends to be a little overdramatic i think. I'll wait to see what these so-called blemishes actually look like before passing judgement.

I can imagine some people sending back a bag because it had a bug bite scar on the bottom or something insignificant... and now he has to sell it as pre-owned.

Maybe he saw all the people on 'that auction site' who were buying Dave's deals and then selling them for near full retail price and decided to do so himself?

Maybe he saw all the people on 'that auction site' who were buying Dave's deals and then selling them for near full retail price and decided to do so himself?[/QUOTE

He'll be even more perplexed when the older bags on that site are fetching a better price than his new styles

Maybe he saw all the people on 'that auction site' who were buying Dave's deals and then selling them for near full retail price and decided to do so himself?[/QUOTE

He'll be even more perplexed when the older bags on that site are fetching a better price than his new styles

That could be because the old bags were made in the US and I hear now that they are having everything made in Mexico now. Scares have come really in fashion lately - kinda like high fashion denim that has been distressed for character. I got a wallet a few months ago from Bison Made. Their wallets are incredible:

$tumblr_m5bfpdCDBh1ru2b2ho1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
That could be because the old bags were made in the US and I hear now that they are having everything made in Mexico now.
The bags were never made in the US. The reason for the increase in price is because of the change in leather, so his older bags will sell for more as it is leather with less faults.

The "Dave's Deals" were flying off the shelves at only a small discount, with many people excitedly discussing them and watching for them.

So on the one hand, he's gotten rid of this extra avenue to generate buzz. But on the other hand, I think it's a stretch to consider this a major departure. The market has spoken through Dave's Deals and it doesn't appear that people devalue a piece much just because it has some of the underlying leather character showing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wonder what sort of ability they have to select a product for a phone-in customer who asks for an unblemished item?

Maybe not something they'd advertise, but if someone phoned up and asked for a bag "... but only if you can check it first to make sure it's not blemished" ... would they do that?

I get what you're saying here Face Bannon but I'm not sure it's that simple

To the best of my knowledge, the Dave's Deals weren't "leather character" as much as they were manufacturing errors. Even if an item was there b/c of a blemish it was probably the result of the process and far less common that it was a natural hide marking.

Additionally, I would propose that a large part of the appear of a factory seconds offering, or in this case Dave's Deals, is the perception of value. The idea of getting something at a discount that is almost perfect is far different than paying retail for irregularities. The buyer that walks into the car dealership looking to make a deal and buy last years left over model w/ 2k miles on it off the lot. That buyer doesn't become a regular retail shopper willing to pay the typical going rate just because that dealership decides all their cars will be sold with 2k miles on them.

The "Dave's Deals" were flying off the shelves at only a small discount, with many people excitedly discussing them and watching for them.

So on the one hand, he's gotten rid of this extra avenue to generate buzz. But on the other hand, I think it's a stretch to consider this a major departure. The market has spoken through Dave's Deals and it doesn't appear that people devalue a piece much just because it has some of the underlying leather character showing.

I have lots of his bags. 3 water bags. A classic briefcase and 2 travel bags. A host of assorted side items. A simple backpack and a brand new style duffle. The new duffle has the scratches and such but those are fine by me. The new leather itself seems thiner and more "nappy" on the inside. It seems less smooth on the inside and has a different feel that is hard to describe. Thinner? More pliable? The biggest change to me is the pigskin liner. It is smoother almost suede-ish much less tactile and can get wet. The old pigskin does not seem to be able o get wet. The old stuff "wipes right off" pigskin is gone in the tobacco bags. On another note The last water bag I got was chestnut and this color is not changed yet. However, my first two water bags came with 2 different liners in different sizes that were 4 sided. The new water bags come with one liner and it is not 4 sided but 2 sided and it comes in the smaller 6" size instead of both 6" and 9" sizes. Anyway I hope this helps you guys. I'm a saddleback fan, the money I've spent with them proves it, but the changes seem to only be described as "money motivated" and time will tell if this will make a difference in their success. Now if someone wants to tell me some other stuff out there that can compare I'm listening. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have lots of his bags. 3 water bags. A classic briefcase and 2 travel bags. A host of assorted side items. A simple backpack and a brand new style duffle. The new duffle has the scratches and such but those are fine by me. The new leather itself seems thiner and more "nappy" on the inside. It seems less smooth on the inside and has a different feel that is hard to describe. Thinner? More pliable? The biggest change to me is the pigskin liner. It is smoother almost suede-ish much less tactile and can get wet. The old pigskin does not seem to be able o get wet. The old stuff "wipes right off" pigskin is gone in the tobacco bags. On another note The last water bag I got was chestnut and this color is not changed yet. However, my first two water bags came with 2 different liners in different sizes that were 4 sided. The new water bags come with one liner and it is not 4 sided but 2 sided and it comes in the smaller 6" size instead of both 6" and 9" sizes. Anyway I hope this helps you guys. I'm a saddleback fan, the money I've spent with them proves it, but the changes seem to only be described as "money motivated" and time will tell if this will make a difference in their success. Now if someone wants to tell me some other stuff out there that can compare I'm listening. :)

Do you mean that the old pigskin was "waterproof" and the new isn't?

(Not entirely sure if you mean 'can't get wet' like "my feet inside these rubber boots can't get wet" or "you can't get this old photograph wet because it'd destroy it."

I won't call it waterproof but if you spill shampoo inside a travel case lined with it you just wipe it out with a wet rag. It prob will not even leave a stain or even a wet spot. The new pigskin I licked my finger and rubed it and it got darker just from that. It is more "absorbent" It is way different and much less stiff also.

I recently did a Google search concerning the change in Saddleback Leather quality and stumbled upon this thread so I thought I'd share my thoughts as well. I little background...I have been a fan of SBL for years and own approximately 10 of their items. Recently I ordered a new medium billfold wallet in black carbon and another to give as a gift. Ive had mine for about 18 months. The one I just ordered came from Dave's Deals so I was hoping it would be the "old style"...but it wasnt. Although a bit disappointed...it is a great comparison of the new leather they are using and the old that I fell in love with. Let me say that while I am a fan of their company...there is no way of getting around the fact that the quality has changed as you can see clearly from this photo of both wallets side by side:
attachment.php

The top one is the new one and you can clearly see (a feel) a difference in the leathers thickness and weight. Overall, the new wallet is more flimsy. I noticed this with a few other products of theirs as well. I have since returned this wallet. While I am still a fan, this recent change is clearly a form of a price increase...charging the same amount for a lesser product. I would have preferred if they raised the price a bit and not changed the quality. Unfortunately I do think that their business will ultimately be affected. I just wanted to share my experiences...

Attachments

• $saddleback wallet.JPG
    $saddleback wallet.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Top Bottom