What's new

Does anybody here serve humble pie?

OK, here's the deal. Yesterday, I replied on a thread concerning the Vision, saying how I had yet to have a comfortable shave. Out of curiosity, I had a dig around in the cupboard and got the said weapon out to see if I could identify why I may have had difficulty with it - and I think I may have found it! A conventional DE relies on the safety bar to regulate the blade angle, whereas on the vision, when the safety bar is lowered the blade stays the same with the gap underneath increasing. I therefore believe that this does very little to increase the aggresiveness which is entirely controlled by the person using it - what this translates to is the closest thing to a straight but with a DE. I have been using a straight for the last few months and have come to appreciate the feel of a completely exposed blade on my face, so I applied those principles this morning with the vision and had a fantastic shave, the angle of the blade has to be that much less than a conventional DE and more similar to a straight - I do believe that shaving with a straight for a while has led to a better understanding of my more aggresive razors, it has certainly brought me back to using DE's in my rotation on a more regular basis. I hope all this makes sense, it certainly re-afirms my thoughts that a Vision requires a more thorough understanding of how to put a naked blade to your face safely and effectively. Now, where's my spoon for that pie?

I eat humble pie....

I don't have a vision but have looked at them. I think the other adjustables do the the same. I think that all adjustables operate on the premise that you are to use the safety bar. when dialed gentle, the blade is close to the bar. this requires you to set the blade angle shallow to contact both the blade and the bar. the more aggressive you adjust it, the steeper the blade angle becomes when contacting blade and bar. I have read that others don't use the safety bar but I dont think that is the way the designer intended. My take on it

I eat humble pie....

No, but I listen to them...

proxy.php

I eat humble pie....

I don't have a vision but have looked at them. I think the other adjustables do the the same. I think that all adjustables operate on the premise that you are to use the safety bar. when dialed gentle, the blade is close to the bar. this requires you to set the blade angle shallow to contact both the blade and the bar. the more aggressive you adjust it, the steeper the blade angle becomes when contacting blade and bar. I have read that others don't use the safety bar but I dont think that is the way the designer intended. My take on it

If there is anyone brave enough to rest the safety bar and blade on their face, good luck. The angle created even on the lowest setting is far greater than would normally be recommended. I use a straight regularly and feel able to judge the safest and most effective angle. Too steep an angle scrapes and pulls hair rather than cutting and lowering the safety bar on the vision promotes this.

I thin you're right - I've recently started shaving with my Vision wide open (which looks BLOODY TERRIFYING), and the results are very similar to my previous shaves.

I'm glad you're getting some good miles out of your beastie. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

No, but I listen to them...

proxy.php

My first instinct was to say, "Wow, you're old." But considering the fact that I immediately recognized it (and can remember some of of the sounds, even though I haven't heard it since it was on the charts), what would that make me?

Top Bottom