What's new

Sanguine Disposable (XD20?) vs. Sanguine Coolcut

I'm looking at getting one of these sanguine disposables, and was wondering if anyone here knows the difference between these two?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I see the review for the coolcut, but it's referred to as an XD20, if so what's the other model? I think the second one is what PZbarber reviewed, but I'm not sure either way. Also, which is better/more balanced/etc. ?

Thanks for the help.
Junior

Whatever it's called, I have one of your first picture models! My favourite razor is a basic Feather AC (still working on my honing on a couple of decent ebay straights - almost there!) and I bought the Sanguine for travelling as I'd rather not lose my Feather, too expensive!

It works well and I doubt you'd be disappointed. Especially at the price they sell for.

I don't have one of the others so can't comment but the blade holder looks much the same with a handle that looks to be a traditional straight style rather than the one piece of the first Sanguine/Feather style.

Sure someone who has the second model will be along soon.

Gareth

I have both models.

They are both very good for the money. They are well built and quite well balanced. The XD20 has a more modern look to it but functionally is about the same as the other. Other than aesthetics I would say they are the same as each other performance wise.

Both good shavers, I use them in the shop all the time.

Cheers

Mat

The big difference I see is that one of them has a monkey tail tang, like the Feather AC. I think that gives a very comfortable grip.

Great, which one did you get? The one marked Coolcut or the more traditional looking one?

Junior

PS
Ookla the Mok, damn did you take me back to sitting in my grandma's kitchen in newark, watching saturday morning cartoons. The Conan the Barbarian rip off. Rember the Devlin the daredevil cartoon (I think that was the name-too lazy to look it up on Google), basically a knock off Evel Knievel? Funny stuff.

Hi folks,

Please excuse my ignorance as I've never used a straight razor before, but I've just bought one of these XD20's off of Ebay in the UK along with some Wilkinson blades and I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit the blades properly.....

I've tried whole ones and snapping one in half lengthways but can't get it to go in properly when lowering the swinging holder.

Does anyone have some advice, or better still any pics of how it should look before I hack my face to pieces please.

Many thanks

Yes, they have to be snapped in half. You will have two dips that line up with the pins in the sanguine and you rest the blade against those. Then lower the clasp without pushing the blade out and you're set.

I ordered a coolcut model that also said XD-10 so I think they are nearly the same? I know they added jimps later on so maybe the models are different due to that?

Oh, and got mine of ebay UK as well using best offer function of buy it now to save a few bucks off list.

Thanks backpackerx, you're a star. I have no idea what a jimp is :redface: but I've got it in and looks ok thanks.

I think I'm going to need a pair of pliers to get it back out again though as only a few millimetres showing :eek:

Now, lets see if I can get through my first shave without crying :w00t:

Cheers

I noticed with my XD20 that when closing the two halves of the blade holder it is very difficult to avoid moving the blade out of it's correct position as the top half tends to catch it when it moves into position. You need to be careful.

Is it right that the tip of the blade only sticks out about 2mm? I've got a new wilkinsons blade in there (from Ebay same place I got razor) and it was a very uncomfortable shave - felt like it was really pulling and dragging on the stroke

The blade should be exposed evenly from tip to the end. Check that you broke it evenly (do this with the blade still in the wax paper for safety) and then that it's seated against the pins evenly. For removing you just lift the latch (maybe that's your problem??) spread the holders, and it comes right out. For clarification to load this you swing the latch/clasp up, separate the two metal halves of the holder, put the half blade between them and resting against the 2 pins, close the 2 halves and lower the clasp/latch over the 2 halves to hold it securely. Blade should show easily and evenly. Shave. Enjoy.

Jimps are the notches on the tang for grip.

If you are still having issues take a pic and post it.

I guess its my time to chime my 2 cents....

I find that aligning of the blade is fairly easy if you keep your thumb nail in the recess thats given on one of the scissor halves while bringing the other half over the blade then just letting go,, it will fall directly ontop.....

As for the amount the blade extends from the holder is about as perfect as itll get;; I've experimented with adjusting and extending the blade edge beyond its normal sitting position to find that it was quite harsh..I think it depends on leaving just enough of the edge out while still contacting the skin with the holder.. Does that make sense???

Also the wilkinson blades that come with it is subpar even from other wilkinson blades.. If your just starting I would suggest Derbys, I don't use them myself but they are forgiving for new users... I prefer feathers with the xd20,, It just becomes a more precise instrument....

Finally for the OP the difference between the two is of coarse the asthetic and ergonomics of the xd20.... But the true difference that will count is that the blade holder part on the xd20 is about 1/8 to 2/8s wider than the older blade head......One of their best to me is the stainless scaled one with the thinner blade head..And as someone said the monkey tail is a vast improvement;; just feels better to handle....

Also the newer xd20s only got their jimps after my review... I believe the yellow was the first with jimps.....This also proved to me that the sanguine co. actually listens to the users of their products....

Finally I must say that while I own nearly 50 straight razors, I find myself using the sanguine disposable straight often, especially when Im pressed for time.. They are really great instruments for the money and great training when your ADs lead you down the straight razor path...
I don't believe for one second that you will regret your purchase....
Enjoy those shaves!!:thumbup:

Don't snap your blades in half. I cut mine in half with a sturdy pair of scissors, it gives much better results and prevents a knurled edge on the blade allowing it to sit better in the gimps.

Just put in an offer on a 'funky green' one on ebay UK. Only 5lb normally with 2.50 shipping. Seemed like a good deal as long as I can stand the color (all others were at least 7.49 lb.

It looks like the one with the monkey tail. I'm hoping that this will break me into the madness of straight shaving.

I just got an XD20 (the modern looking one) on ebay from a seller called "sanguinebeauty". It's a good tool for the money. I'm quite pleased.

Best Regards

Graham

Top Bottom