What's new

7 O'Clock '50s Tech

My first vintage razor arrived, thought I'd share it with the community. It's a 7 O'Clock razor made in the '50s; for those who don't know, this was a British brand Gillette acquired in the '30s, that continued to exist producing rebranded Gillettes to cover more market. For all intents a purposes my razor is identical to this one. If nothing else it's a bit of unique packaging!
$2013-09-22 13.08.51.jpg$2013-09-22 13.11.53.jpg$2013-09-22 13.18.53.jpg$2013-09-22 13.25.38.jpg
The comparison is with my Mühle R89. At first I was surprised at how small the box was. I had expected it to be about twice as big, but then again I also thought it would contain a Bakelite case with the razor. Not so! It's just a sturdy cardboard box with the razor fitting snugly in the middle. It really must have been a budget model. The handle and baseplate are aluminium, and as you can see the nickel plating on the cap is not exactly of the highest quality. The whole thing is small and light (my scale says 28g). I do like the ball-end handle, and the box, but I probably ended overpaying a bit. Oh well, I wanted a Tech and now I have it!
How does it shave? Who knows! Probably like any other Tech :wink2: I'll get around to it when I'm done sampling blades with the Mühle.

Very cool! The cardboard box is in a great shape and the two original blades are the pinnacle of this set!
Now go figure, if you had got it 60 years ago you most probably just would have ditched the box... :laugh:

Top Bottom