What's new

Storage in vodka?

Well,

simple question, are the benefits of putting a straight in alcohol:

-removes water from blade
-maintains blade edge longer
-stops rust

oh and the vodka business; came from my old barber, he always had his blades in vodka. same principal.

so does this sound about right?

Well if it's vodka, its probably 80 proof, so there is still avery high water content that can cause rust. Did he store them in vodka or just wipe them down with vodka?

Get some 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from the drug store. As mentioned, vodka is generally around 80 proof, which is 40% alcohol and 60% water.

I think the vodka may be intended for internal disinfecting only.

I would have to agree.

I always store my razors in silicon sleeves, never oil them (ever) and have never had a spot of rust on any of them.

I don't get scales and pivot wet, I dry blade by stropping on a towel post shave, I strop on linen 10-15 laps and 10-15 on leather.

I store my straights in Château d'Yquem.

You know they fine their wine with egg whites. That usually imparts a roughness to the edge. Plus, the botrytis cinerea tends to breed in the pivot area causing deterioration of the scales. Try a modest Brouilly.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You know they fine their wine with egg whites. That usually imparts a roughness to the edge. Plus, the botrytis cinerea tends to breed in the pivot area causing deterioration of the scales. Try a modest Brouilly.

Barbarian. If you're going to use a cru Beaujolais, use a Côte de Brouilly, or at the very least a Chiroubles. :tongue_sm

After use, I rinse with hot water and wipe the blade gently with a bar towel. Then 30 laps on leather. Leave it to dry in an opened state on its spine, resting on a bar towel. To put away, I dip the blade in a solution made from 4 parts denatured alcohol and 1 part USP mineral oil. Let the alcohol scent dissipate before closing, and do not let the solution touch the scales. Drop or two of mineral in the pivot area for long term storage.

To remove oil, scum, paste residue from a blade: spritz the blade with isopropyl alcohol and wipe gently with a bar towel.

Get some 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from the drug store. As mentioned, vodka is generally around 80 proof, which is 40% alcohol and 60% water.​

Water and oxygen are the enemies to blade preservation. Fat is their friend (assuming it is not corruptible and fends off the two enemies). I use drugstore vaseline on felt to preserve the blade until the following day. I load the vaseline on felt, as another type of pasted strop. I just need to add some vaselines every second day or so.

i see none of you guys do this. lol. i think Im gonna try it out; its sound information with alcohol. oiling a blade when you use it almost everyday is kind of outrageous in my eyes just for the fact youd have a slippery metal blade.

i see none of you guys do this. lol. i think Im gonna try it out; its sound information with alcohol. oiling a blade when you use it almost everyday is kind of outrageous in my eyes just for the fact youd have a slippery metal blade.

It's not sound information. Google "Ethyl Alcohol miscibility"

Top Bottom