What's new

Best Coffee Home Roaster (for the money)

I'm looking to pick up a home roaster, but my funds are somewhat limited, what's the best one I can get for the money and why?

Thanks all for the info, I can't wait to start homeroasting! :thumbup1:

I should have said, I am specifically not looking to use a popcorn popper or to roast on the stove. I don't have a way to use these outside and I don't have good ventilation in my kitchen and there is a smoke alarm tied in with the alarm system, so I am specifically looking for a self contained roasting machine that I can use outside.

a lot of people use a heatgun and dog bowl. I've never tried it.

My setup is a stir crazy and Galloping Gourmet convection top. I got the top at a Goodwill. It will roast about a pound in around 16 minutes.

D

doleeo

I am specifically not looking to use a popcorn popper

Does this mean the crank version or the electric hot air poppers?

The hot air poppers are great to start out on. The Poppery 1 is the holy grail of popcorn poppers. If you can get a hold of one.

You say you need to roast outside, yet you don't want to use a popcorn popper. Which leads me to ask, why? It makes me think there's some issue with electrical outlet availability.

Since you need to roast outside (which is good, it is smoky) either the popcorn popper (if you can find one) or the SC/TO setup are both inexpensive and workable. The heat gun/dog bowl issue is also great. Affordable and a lot of people like doing it that way.

Otherwise, the iRoast2 can be used indoors. You'll need to buy a short piece of flexible dryer venting and and vent it out a window. The iRoast 2 is at the lower end of the price range for manufactured homeroasters. Sweetmaria's has it for $179 before taxes/shipping. Which is inline with other places. You might find some at a lower price.

Tim, I'm debating between the iRoast2 and the Behmor Electric Drum Roaster. I like a lot about the iRoast2, but I'm wondering if I'd regret not having the ability to roast up to 1lb. Additionally, at $300 for the Behmor, it's not a HUGE jump up to the Gene Cafe Drum. I'm realling leaning towards the iRoast2 right now.

I think the iRoast2 is a great machine to learn on (I did) for not too much money. Plus you can easily vent it outside with dryer hose so you don't have smoke problems. The only downside is how much you can roast at a time, but I actually liked that since it enabled me to try a lot of varieties of coffee.

D

doleeo

Tim, I'm debating between the iRoast2 and the Behmor Electric Drum Roaster. I like a lot about the iRoast2, but I'm wondering if I'd regret not having the ability to roast up to 1lb. Additionally, at $300 for the Behmor, it's not a HUGE jump up to the Gene Cafe Drum. I'm realling leaning towards the iRoast2 right now.

I got a behmor about a month ago. Its an excellent roaster. I love being able to roast enough for about a week, or roast 1/4 pound just to try different coffees.

I'll add another vote for the iRoast. I have a friend who has had 2 now, and loves them.

There's also the FreshRoast 8 which will get you into roasting for < $100.

I also started with an I-Roast and quickly got tired of roasting every other day. I would go with the Behmor because of the flexibility (can roast from a quarter up to a full pound) and quietness. It sometimes gets a little difficult to hear the "cracks" especially the second on a I-Roast.

I was just on Sweet Maria's and he has a used Behmor and a used I-Roast2 on his sale page. Both include an 8 pack bean sampler.:thumbup1:

You guys should jump on this quickly if you are interested.

I also started with an I-Roast and quickly got tired of roasting every other day. I would go with the Behmor because of the flexibility (can roast from a quarter up to a full pound) and quietness. It sometimes gets a little difficult to hear the "cracks" especially the second on a I-Roast.

I was just on Sweet Maria's and he has a used Behmor and a used I-Roast2 on his sale page. Both include an 8 pack bean sampler.:thumbup1:

You guys should jump on this quickly if you are interested.

The i-Roast2 isn't there anymore! :wink:

Edit: Weird. It's still showing it's there. They must have had more than one.

If there are any problems ordering from Sweetmaria's or problems with the webpage, just call them.

They're friendly (family run business - husband, wife, and one or two-year-old son) and really care about their customers.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom