Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Trumper's skin food as a pre-shave.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Images
    4

    Default Trumper's skin food as a pre-shave.

    I know I've seen this mentioned recently by a couple of members. I'm a method shaver fyi. I tried using the samples of Coral Skin food as a pre-shave today and the results were fascinating. I usually have to wait 36 to 48 hours before I can shave again because when my whiskers are longer they soften better. But this stuff softened my beard at barely 24 hours. I could really feel the difference in how the stubble felt after running my hand over it after I used the Skin Food with Kyles Prep. I finally experienced what it's like to not really hear the whiskers being cut. Thanks to the people I heard this from and I highly recommend trying this.

  2. #2

    Default

    +1

    I use it with every shave

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Images
    4
    Thread Starter

    Default

    What about using it after your shave? My usual routine is a dab of Aqua Velva then my application of hydrolast tonic/conditioner/tonic. Even after that my face still feels a little tight and I put some lime skin food on and it soothed it even further. I think I'm really going to like this stuff.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilxvx View Post
    I tried using the samples of Coral Skin food as a pre-shave today and the results were fascinating...
    How much did you use?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,094
    Images
    4
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I would say a little more than a dollop. Just enough to coat my face and neck evenly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere over there.
    Posts
    3,506
    Images
    55

    Default

    Many Trumper's barbers use Skin Food liberally as a pre-shave. It does help with razor glide and leaves the skin feeling very nice post-shave, no need for any balm really. Rinse the razor well, it can clog it up easier.
    "Life's too short for good handwriting." -Dad.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,136
    Images
    21

    Default

    I use Trumper's Skin Foods routinely, but not so much because of their beard softening properties, but because of their moisturizing properties. That makes for a much less irritating shave in my case. You could try other concoctions that have a high glycerin content (you could even make your own), or just stick with the Trumper's Skin Foods if they work for you. They also smell great.

    Best - MM

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm new to the whole "skin food" thing -- what exactly is the skin food suppose to do and when is it typically applied?

    Al

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere over there.
    Posts
    3,506
    Images
    55

    Default

    It's more of a "sealant" than anything else. It's normally applied after everything else is applied, aftershave balm and all.
    "Life's too short for good handwriting." -Dad.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,823
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilxvx View Post
    I know I've seen this mentioned recently by a couple of members. I'm a method shaver fyi. I tried using the samples of Coral Skin food as a pre-shave today and the results were fascinating. I usually have to wait 36 to 48 hours before I can shave again because when my whiskers are longer they soften better. But this stuff softened my beard at barely 24 hours. I could really feel the difference in how the stubble felt after running my hand over it after I used the Skin Food with Kyles Prep. I finally experienced what it's like to not really hear the whiskers being cut. Thanks to the people I heard this from and I highly recommend trying this.
    Very interesting, this is something I've been considering. You mentioned that you use it in conjunction with Kyle's shave preparation (don't we all?!) - did you put the CSF on with your lather, and then use hot towels, or did you CSF after the hot towels?

    I'm wondering if it will stay on the skin after soaking in hot towels, you see - in which case I'd apply it immediately before the lather for my first pass.


    Many thanks, and toodlepip,

    Hobbes

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolYoungin View Post
    It's more of a "sealant" than anything else. It's normally applied after everything else is applied, aftershave balm and all.
    Oops. I posted a review on the skin food today saying that I felt the need to moisturise after applying the skin food. So that's what I've been doing wrong. Will try it vice versa tomorrow. Thanks

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Tried it this morning before and after shave (just got my samples) and its certainly does work well. Less irritation and nicer feeling skin. My routine this morning was...

    Hot shower
    CSF
    Warm Lather (Bigelow's)
    1 pass, lather, 2 pass, lather, 3 pass...
    Theyers Rose Witch Hazel
    Art of Shaving ASB (still going through my mini sample)
    CSF

    Face feels hydrated, smooth, silky, and even smells nice
    -Tim [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Winzzy"]Winzzy's Barber Shop[/URL]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesoxon View Post
    Very interesting, this is something I've been considering. You mentioned that you use it in conjunction with Kyle's shave preparation (don't we all?!) - did you put the CSF on with your lather, and then use hot towels, or did you CSF after the hot towels?

    I'm wondering if it will stay on the skin after soaking in hot towels, you see - in which case I'd apply it immediately before the lather for my first pass.


    Many thanks, and toodlepip,

    Hobbes
    I advised you that it was little use as a pre-shave. However I take that back. Now I apply immediately before the lather as you suggest and yes, IMO it does make a difference. Sorry for giving you a bum steer.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,823
    Images
    2

    Default

    As in, before your first-pass-shave lather, or before your under-the-hot-towels lather? :)


    Thanks,

    Hobbes

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesoxon View Post
    As in, before your first-pass-shave lather, or before your under-the-hot-towels lather? :)


    Thanks,

    Hobbes
    Before the first pass shave lather. I've ditched the hot towels altogether in favour of a hot bath instead. But please don't follow my advice as I shave to suit myself. Why not try all combinations to achieve that BBS shave we all strive for?

  16. #16

    Default

    Would this work as well or better than a pre-shave oil, pre-shave of course?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Thats what we are talking about. It works well as a pre shave oil, if it's better thats only something you can decide... I preferre it.
    -Tim [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Winzzy"]Winzzy's Barber Shop[/URL]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    278

    Default

    My head hurts.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winzzy View Post
    Thats what we are talking about. It works well as a pre shave oil, if it's better thats only something you can decide... I preferre it.
    Thanks! I knew what you were talking about, just wanted to see what the consensus was as to whether or not it works better than most oils out there.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    355

    Default

    I like it better than oils because it feels less, oily... The results are also eaqual to or better than any pre-oil I have tried...

    I would order the sample pack and see if you like it, its only $5 shipping and gives you a pretty good idea of the whole line of products...
    -Tim [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Winzzy"]Winzzy's Barber Shop[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For Trade: T&H Shave Oil for Trumper Skin Food
    By mikey in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace- Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
  2. WTT: Trumper's Limes Skin Food sample for Sandalwood Skin Food sample
    By SirWhiskers in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace- Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
  3. WTTF: BRAND new Trumper's Lime SS Refill.FT: Trumper's skin food or coconut ss
    By heirkb in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace- Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 06:38 PM
  4. WTB: Trumper's Coral Skin Food and Trumper's Rose Soap
    By burningdarkness in forum The Badger & Blade Marketplace- Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 02:53 AM
  5. Geo F. Trumper Skin Food
    By hiramw in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.