What's new

Is Merkur 15C right for me?

I am normally shaving every second day and I often skip shaving during weekends and shorter vacations. I have very sensitive skin, but so hard beard that it is often pulled out rather than cut (small blood spots where the root has been). Also razors tends to get stuck with hair and difficult to clean.

After almost a couple of decades of "normal" razors, I got a Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) DE. It felt only like a degrade from Mach3 for me, as it still got full of hair, and gave no extra comfort. After a few week with it, I went back to Mach3.

Last Christmas I decided to try an open comb razor DE as it should solve the problem with hair stuck. I bought a Mühle R41. I have been using it since then. It is too aggressive, even when using shaving soap (I normally not using soap, rather shave under shower). A second pass of shaving is often more than what my skin can stand and might cause small bleeding (not cut wounds). Even though I am able to shave with it without mirror, I need to be so careful that it takes a lot of time for me to shave.

I wanted something more safe and less aggressive in order to speed up the shaving process, so I have been ordering a Merkur 15C (open comb). I still have a chance to cancel the order as it is not shipped.

Is Merkur 15C right for me? What razor would you recommend?

Last edited:
The only razors I use now are An Edwin Jagger most of the time plus a 15c and a Tech. I really like the 15c even though it is very mild, it is great for daily shaving, but 3 days of growth or more and it struggles a little. But yeah it is a good razor, cuts a lot better than you would expect for such a mild razor but it is incredibly comfortable and impossible to get irritation from using it.

The only razors I use now are An Edwin Jagger most of the time plus a 15c and a Tech. I really like the 15c even though it is very mild, it is great for daily shaving, but 3 days of growth or more and it struggles a little. But yeah it is a good razor, cuts a lot better than you would expect for such a mild razor but it is incredibly comfortable and impossible to get irritation from using it.
Which one of those would you use for 3+ days of growth?

Which one of those would you use for 3+ days of growth?

I would use the Edwin Jagger but the Tech would work ok too.

I think you just need a razor that is not as aggressive as an r41 but better than the Wilkinson Sword Classic. There is a risk you might find the 15c too mild if you are only shaving every 2 days.

The Edwin Jagger or a Merkur HD type razor that isn't too mild or aggressive would probably be a good bet for you.

If 15C is too mild for a couple of days whiskers, what is the limiting factor there? I picked it as I imagined it would not get clogged by the cut hair and filled up. If it is not getting clogged but rather the angle, could some aggresivity be added by using sharper blades (Feather, for example)?

Try the 15c. You'll know immediately if you like it or not. If not, you might try a slant 37c. It cuts through anything especially after a couple days of growth.

If you get a 15c you will use it every day and enjoy it. You are better off shaving every day than getting scruffy looking between shaves.

I see it as an either or choice. Be clean shaven or grow a beard. Anything in between is just slovenly looking.

This is coming from someone who had a beard for 12 years and not a well trimmed one either, one down to my belt line when I shaved it off.

I had a 15c for a while, also a Muhle R41 2010 model which used the same head as the 15c. Both were excellent every day razors

proxy.php

If 15C is too mild for a couple of days whiskers, what is the limiting factor there? I picked it as I imagined it would not get clogged by the cut hair and filled up. If it is not getting clogged but rather the angle, could some aggresivity be added by using sharper blades (Feather, for example)?

Yes maybe but I don't really see why any DE razor would get clogged tbh, never happens to me. I don't think that a closed comb razor such as the EJ would be any more prone to clogging than the 15c or any other open comb because there is plenty of space behind the bar for the whiskers and lather to pass through.

Try the 15c. You'll know immediately if you like it or not. If not, you might try a slant 37c. It cuts through anything especially after a couple days of growth.
After I watched this review of 39C (same head as 37C) I know it is definitely not for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIbth2RocE. The reviewer also reviewed R41, and both R41 and 37C looked about the same agressive on his face. Both caused a few nicks. This means slow and carefull shaving is needed, especially as I have sensitive skin. The 15C is now on the way to me, it should be here after a week.

I use my Merkur 15c regularly as a shower shaver. Just at the end of my shower I will coat my face with bath soap and do a 2pass WTG and ATG with some minor cleanup along my jaw line. Get a good solid DFS that way. Only do this when I'm running late and it works great. I use a Merkur 11c as my daily shaver. It is slightly more aggressive than the 15c. THe 15c will give you great shaves if you pay attention to what you are doing. It is mild but I like the fact that I can get a good shave without any irritation at all (even on my neck).

Thank you all for your responses. Now I have ordered addionally a Mühle R89 as it should have the same head as EJ, but lighter handle. I like very much the balance of my R41.

The only backfire in my plan was that I am not allowed to sell my R41 at this forum yet as I do not have enough of posts. It is a bit offtopic from this thread, but what site do you recommend for me to sell my R41 through? I am in Europe.

Top Bottom