What's new

Best pens at different price points

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks the best pens at various price points are. I've only had experience with pens to a certain level, but wanted to see where my next steps may fall. Just for fun, tell us what the best pens are at the following price points:

$20 or less
$50 or less
$75 or less
$100 or less
$150 or less
$200 or less
Any price

If I need a couple of extra price levels to break up the high end stuff, feel free to make the categories. I don't really have much to add, but am looking forward to the answers from those with a much broader experience than I have.

Here's mine based on my limited experience:

$20: Pilot Metropolitan. Jinhao with a knox nib is in there, too.
$50: Nussbaum John Ross. I love this pen.
$75: I don't have any in this category yet.
$100: Pelikan M200. In my top 2.

I can't go beyond this. I haven't been able to try anything above this.

I don't have anything over $20 so my input is limited.

Platinum Preppy is a great pen that doesn't get a lot of love because it looks cheap but it can sit for months and start right up. I think it has the same nib as the Plasir as well.

Pilot Plumix has a wonderful nib if you want to try an italic but it has to be the most uncomfortable pen I have ever held.

The Pilot Metorpolitan gets fantastic reviews from those that have higher price pens. The large step down in size at the section just hits my fingers in exactly the wrong spot.

Probably my most controversial recommendation...the Ahab. It took my months to beat my Ahab into submission and included my first (and probably last) attempt at nib grinding but for $20 it was an education in what to try and what didn't work.

$20 or less: Pilot Metropolitan, Waterman Kultur, Parker Frontier
$50 or less: Waterman Laureat, Lamy Nexx, Sheaffer Touchdown, Kaweco Sport
$75 or less: Danitrio Cum Laude (Cumlaude?)
$100 or less: Pelikan M200 (I like the 1990s models best... found one for $55 once!)
$150 or less: Franklin-Christoph Model 65, Pilot Vanishing Point, Lamy 2000, Namiki Falcon, Parker 51
$200 or less: Edison (take your pick), Sailor Pro Gear with M-F Naginata Togi nib

I've tried some pens over the $200 mark, and I'll probably never do that again. I was either disappointed with the pen, or in the case of two of them, something (probably their value) kept me from wanting to use them. I've been happiest with my $100 to $200 pen purchases.

-Andy

Last edited:
$20 or less: Pilot Metropolitan, Waterman Kultur, Parker Frontier
$50 or less: Waterman Laureat, Lamy Nexx, Sheaffer Touchdown, Kaweco Sport
$75 or less: Danitrio Cum Laude (Cumlaude?)
$100 or less: Pelikan M200 (I like the 1990s models best... found one for $55 once!)
$150 or less: Franklin-Christoph Model 65, Pilot Vanishing Point, Lamy 2000, Namiki Falcon, Parker 51
$200 or less: Edison (take your pick), Sailor Pro Gear with M-F Naginata Togi nib

I've tried some pens over the $200 mark, and I'll probably never do that again. I was either disappointed with the pen, or in the case of two of them, something (probably their value) kept me from wanting to use them. I've been happiest with my $100 to $200 pen purchases.

-Andy

I'd take the Monteverdes I've had for under 75 over my danitrio

At 150 I'd add my pilot 92 as well a good ebay snipe can have that at 100 bucks although now that engieka doesn't carry pilot anymore that can be tough to pull off

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
$20 or less, I'd say the Pilot 78g ... doesn't get the love around here that the Metro gets, but it's the same nib/feed, $5 cheaper, and can eyedropper.

The Preppy is also in the mix ... not quiiiite as good as the 78g, and a tiny bit fragile on the materials, but dirt cheap and good nib/feed.

For the expensive pens, IMHO the distinction is between some excellent Japanese pens which have phenomenal nibs and use c/c filling systems, and Pelikans with not as good nibs but wonderful filling systems ... we need a "best of both worlds" meeting.

And then, with expensive pens, the "artistic impression" of the pen comes into play in a big way too ... and that gets very personal and subjective.

Ian the best of both worlds.... pilot Custom Heritage 92... it has a fantastic piston filler, with a 14k Japanese nib

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian the best of both worlds.... pilot Custom Heritage 92... it has a fantastic piston filler, with a 14k Japanese nib

Hmm ... IIRC there is at least one of those Pilot pens that has an exotic filler system where you are supposed to loosen the back end ever so slightly (to let air in, I believe) when using the pen for more than the briefest moment. Is that this one?

I'd take the Monteverdes I've had for under 75 over my danitrio

At 150 I'd add my pilot 92 as well a good ebay snipe can have that at 100 bucks although now that engieka doesn't carry pilot anymore that can be tough to pull off

What?!?! That's too bad about engeika/Taizo not carrying Pilot. I don't care for metal grip sections, and the only Monteverde I've seen that sort of appeals to me is the Intima. Their pens generally don't do it for me aesthetically for some reason. YMMV strikes again!

-Andy

The most important question here is, vintage or new?

I cant speak much to this because most of my pens are vintage but in the
<$50 I really like my Cross Aventura

The rest of my pens are vintage finds, all less than $20 to buy and re-sac
Parker Duofold Jr
Sheaffer Flat top jade senior
Esterbrook dollar pen

That being said these pens fetch quite a premium in many cases but they can be had for cheap if you look in the right place.

Regards
Dave

Hmm ... IIRC there is at least one of those Pilot pens that has an exotic filler system where you are supposed to loosen the back end ever so slightly (to let air in, I believe) when using the pen for more than the briefest moment. Is that this one?

i believe that you are thinking of the pilot custom 823... $pilot-custom-823-amber-instructions-detail.jpg...and for the record, that seems too exotic (i.e. too much work)for me

The most important question here is, vintage or new?

I cant speak much to this because most of my pens are vintage but in the
<$50 I really like my Cross Aventura

The rest of my pens are vintage finds, all less than $20 to buy and re-sac
Parker Duofold Jr
Sheaffer Flat top jade senior
Esterbrook dollar pen

That being said these pens fetch quite a premium in many cases but they can be had for cheap if you look in the right place.

Regards
Dave

That's true their are bargains in the restore world, but I will argue that The Duofold and Esterbrook were bought at steal prices.

Ian no... the 92 is just a regular piston filler
The 823 has a plunger vac filler that requires the end to be backed off like the visconti or twsbi

$20 or less; Sheaffer VFM
$50. or less; Monteverde Artista
$75. or less; Pilot Pera
100 or less TWSBI 700 Vac
200 or less Delta Serna or Edison Beaumont

I'd say modern, to keep the comparison fair.

I handled the Sheaffer VFM last weekend (it was mentioned above), and after the initial thrill of recognition, I was somewhat disappointed. Not made in the USA anymore, a generic nib and a cheaply made clip, and it even doesn't take Sheaffer cartridges.

I think your best bets in the sub-$50 category are the Japanese pens.

I'm curious to see what everyone thinks the best pens at various price points are. I've only had experience with pens to a certain level, but wanted to see where my next steps may fall. Just for fun, tell us what the best pens are at the following price points:

As Johant said, best to keep vintage pens out of it, since not everyone ends up paying the same for a particular one. I'll allow myself a couple of recently discontinued models which some sellers still have in stock. Based only on the pens I have myself...

$20 or less
Pilot FP-78G, medium nib
$50 or less
Sheaffer 100
$75 or less
Taccia Overture
$100 or less
Pelikan M205. Actually cheating a bit, as I picked mine up for $93 shipped with some discounts before the price went up.
$150 or less
Pilot Vanishing Point
$200 or less
Pilot Vanishing Point customized by Richard Binder to remove that annoying clip.

Top Bottom