What's new

Shave-piffany!

Warning- May contain seemingly newbie remarks, menthol and peanuts.

So, tonight's shave yielded excellent results for me. I browsed my vintage razor collection, hunting for the razor of the day, and picked my user-grade Slim. I had been using it on 4. I felt adventurous, so I begin clicking the dial. 5...6...7...8...9. That'll do. Then I took my trusty super badger brush and soaked it in the faucet for a bit. Then, I put a dollop of Bigelow in the mug and went at it. Got a nice, slick lather. Nothing too out of the norm yet. Slipped in a Red personna and put the razor to my sideburn.

This is when it happened. Suddenly, I remembered what B&B drilled into my head: No pressure. So, I angled and pulled for my wtg pass. Then the Xtg. Then, finally, Atg. My first no nick, no weeper BBS from a DE. Only my 1912 had previously accomplished this. I was feeling very good.

Okay, now for the aftershave. My stepfather gave me a travel mouthwash bottle of Osage mentholated aftershave. Man was it COLD. Loved it.

So, to the newbs out there, remember, No pressure means NO PRESSURE!

Congrats on a great shave! Sometimes all of the variables align and everything goes well. It seems to me that if you have the blade angle dialed in and you don't apply pressure, it makes little difference how aggressive the razor happens to be. I know that many disagree, but large blade gaps just increase the margin for error in my experience. I can get as close and comfortable a shave whether I'm using my 2011 Muhle R41 or a Schick Krona-- I just have to focus more with the former than the latter. Enjoy your shaves!

Top Bottom