What's new

Pen Review - Parker 15 aka Jotter

Parker 15 aka Jotter
(1980-Current date)
$2013-09-22 12.54.49.jpg

This pen is the updated version of the Parker Mixy. Produced in USA, UK and France. By 1982 the Parker 15, France and UK, joins the USA Jotter line but in the UK it goes on to be refereed as Parker 15 till year 2000. Pen comes in few versions called:​

• Special CT (chrome trim) - that features stainless steel cap with molded plastic body and grip section.
  • Flighter - that features steel body to replace the plastic one of the CT models.
  • and a GT(gold trim) - that is a flighter version that has the steel parts covered in matte black epoxy resin and has the chrome trim replaced with gold. Also a gold plated Nib.
Comes as a Fountain or Ballpoint pen. And the CT version features many color options for the barrel. Takes a Parker (short or long) cartridge or a Parker converter (as I read only the shorter slide version will fit).

Appearance and Design

As the current name, Jotter, imply this pen is on the small scale and features a simple design without any ornaments except the Parker arrow clip and a simple thin ring that divides the grip from the body sections. Also Parker logo and name imprinted on the bottom of the cap and place of production, in my case UK.
As mentioned above, the pen comes in several versions, mine is a second hand (antique store bought) pen that comes in the GT version. This means it is all metal (except the plastic grip section) that is covered in matte resin and with gold trims (cap clip, ring divider and nib). The gold ring, although tiny, provides a nice brake in the all black body (closed and opened).
Clip on the cap has a good flex and it is quite solid, opens up to 1 cm with no issues and keeps the pen quite secure. Barrel section has a brass screw in inline (see picture at bottom). Cap is clip on and closes with a nice "click". Pen posts easy and it feels solid.
$2013-09-22 12.57.17.jpg

Weight and Dimensions

Lenght:

• 12.2 cm - closed
  • 11.2 cm - opened - not posted
  • 14 cm - opened - posted
Small pen that can function (barely) not posted if you have small-medium hands, while posted it is decent sized for normal use. Thin tapered grip section that comes at around 8-10 mm that also can be an issue for some one with bigger hands. Grip is smooth plastic that has a soft feel and it feels comfortable. Compared to the Parker Vector the advantage here is that it has a smooth transition from the grip to the body section and thus can be hold at different heights, wile the vector cylindrical grip has a sudden transit to the body section and if hold higher up, can be uncomfortable.

Compaction bellow is with a MonteVerde Prima that would about equals a Pelikan 600 in size.
$notposted.jpg$posted.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance

This is a cartridge pen that takes the Parker cartridges (short or long) and can be converted with the Parker slide converter. As seen in the picture bellow, the pen can be disassemble quite easy. Nib section is a friction fit that goes in a cylindrical opening, so it can't be put in the wrong way .. nib has a groove above the feed that keeps it perfectly aligned and in place. So taking it apart for cleaning/maintenance is quite easy (except pulling the nib out the first time :closedeye).
$2013-09-22 13.10.44.jpg

Nib Performance

I got my pen in F size, the tines were slightly misaligned when I got it, and it was obviously scratching crazy when going left to right. But after getting them aligned, now it glides smooth with no issues. Nib is a gold plated steel that is quite solid that has a bit of "give" but for normal writing will produce a constant width line. Writes smooth and performs good with no skipping even at lightest touch. Nothing remarkable but solid performance for general everyday use.

Conclusion

As described above this is a small light pen compared to most fountain pens. But as the name imply its meant to be carried and used as a Jotter/small pad companion for everyday note taking etc. Writes good and being all metal it feels quite solid and definitely is a good candidate for everyday carry with a small notebook/jotter. While it functions not posted, the preferred use will be with the cap on, and with a metal cap the risk of cracking it while posted is almost non existing. For my taste the minimalist design of the GT is quite appealing and I especially like the matte black finish, would be nice to be a bit bigger/thicker.

Great review. I actually have one of these I picked up for $10 online. I never knew what it was called. Thank you

Great review. I actually have one of these I picked up for $10 online. I never knew what it was called. Thank you

I got it even cheaper :) please post a picture in this thread if you got some (especially if it is different color one).

Very nice!

I think most pen people have one of these, or had one at some time ... great performers with a sleek design.

My girlfriend and I each have a Vector, which seems similar to the Jotter reviewed above. Both of ours are plastic bodies with stainless grip sections (one blue, one red). They were our first fountain pens. She bought hers a year or two before we met in grad school. By the time I met her, she also had a Waterman Phileas. I tried her two pens and was hooked. I popped down to the University bookstore, bought a Vector, and have had this powerful AD ever since.

-Andy

Last edited:
$uploadfromtaptalk1379916470551.jpg

Here is mine (not inked ... and not yet cleaned ... at the moment). Good little pen that can take a lot of abuse :blush:

Top Bottom