What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Sounds like you did fantastic on your first go. Stick with the same set up and you will find it gets easier and better as time rolls on. Once you think you have your technique down you can then start experimenting with new razors. The neck is the toughest spot to get perfect. I would just take it easy and go for a damn fine shave (DFS) for now without it being baby butt smooth (BBS) until you get more familiar. This should keep you from getting raw. I have been shaving for 1.5 years now and still don't go after BBS everywhere. Not worth it. Ha. Did you watch some of the shaving videos on you tube? For your soap you can leave the lid off and some of the fragrance will start to lighten up. Some soaps stay strong though so this may not help. Also, a good aftershave or balm will help with the irritation. Go check out the aftershave sub forum for ideas. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the pointers. Second day of shaving and I'm less raw than the first. Still did 3 passes, but concentrated on using light pressure and just let the blade do the work. No raw feeling or irritation today.

I live in a very small town, and I thought I had been through pretty much all the junk shops, thrift stores, and antique places around here. Today, I drove past a place I had never noticed, a rather nondescript building with a very plain sign out front that said, simply, "antiques". I stopped in, and was surprised by the amount of really nice things in this place, and particularly a lot of smalls. Anyway, here is the only thing I brought home - a nice adjustable with a J1 date code, never used, with original box and display, blades, and instructions. Absolute mint! Pictures aren't great, but I literally just got home with this one less than an hour ago. I'm curious - would you shave with this?
$DSCF5915.jpg$DSCF5917.jpg$DSCF5921.jpg$DSCF5922.jpg$DSCF5924.jpg

Nice find! I would leave it untouched in original condition if you are sure it was never used.
You can always get a user grade slim at a relatively low price.
Just my opinion.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I live in a very small town, and I thought I had been through pretty much all the junk shops, thrift stores, and antique places around here. Today, I drove past a place I had never noticed, a rather nondescript building with a very plain sign out front that said, simply, "antiques". I stopped in, and was surprised by the amount of really nice things in this place, and particularly a lot of smalls. Anyway, here is the only thing I brought home - a nice adjustable with a J1 date code, never used, with original box and display, blades, and instructions. Absolute mint! Pictures aren't great, but I literally just got home with this one less than an hour ago. I'm curious - would you shave with this?

I'd say leave it as is. Either keep is as a collectable, or if you're willing, trade it for another razor (or two) that you would have no problem actually using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the responses. I had initially thought I'd just go ahead and shave with this one, but I have decided against it, for now anyway. The lady I bought it from said it was mint, and unused, and while I don't know of any surefire way to confirm its unused status, (short of sending to a forensics lab), I have looked it over well, and I honestly don't believe it has ever had a blade in it. All that considered, I think I'll take Claudel's advice and leave it as is. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing find strat. Congratulations.
once you use it, you can never 'un-use' it, if you know what i mean. Its a really remarkable thing, and you might want to let it sink in before deciding to use it or not :)

Great Find..in the wild yet!! Whats rare here is the cardboard box.. These we Holiday only in the early 60's and were only at certain dept stores that carried Gillette, and were used to box up the already packaged razor as a Holiday gift box.. I saw one on the bay many years back and it looked just like this and there was another version that had silver snow flakes. I found this info out to a big time collector and whom worked for Gillette late 50' early 60's.

Awesome Slim, I have to agree with others keep it NOS. There are plenty of user grade Slims out there some pretty cheap.:thumbup1:

Great Find..in the wild yet!! Whats rare here is the cardboard box.. These we Holiday only in the early 60's and were only at certain dept stores that carried Gillette, and were used to box up the already packaged razor as a Holiday gift box.. I saw one on the bay many years back and it looked just like this and there was another version that had silver snow flakes. I found this info out to a big time collector and whom worked for Gillette late 50' early 60's.

That is some great info - thanks! SWMBO said she thought it was a holiday box, but I wasn't sure. It is the first one I've seen. I have ruled out using it, for the reasons Jas mentions: once used, it can't be un-used.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like that Slim, and I like your decision to keep it dry. The only reason I would use it would be if I were going to keep it forever, and even then would I likely not get it wet. You wouldn't just destroy monetary value, you would destroy something's joy of having it.

What a score!

Congrats on that remarkable find strat63 and wise move to keep it dry.
A good field test to see if it has seen action on that model is to shine a flashlight between the adjusting lift plate and the head baseplate
bottom side. If it has been used you might find soap residue in that hard to clean area.

If you find any do not tell me cause I like the idea that NOS is still out there.:thumbup1:

Thanks Couplerguy, I had actually done just that during my inspection. Nothing I can find anywhere that looks like soap residue, or even water mineral deposits. Wish I could find one like this every week!

Not a bad haul over the weekend. My father drives all over the country for work and and he always checks out antique shops for razors for me. Found these for $5 a piece. Any on have any idea what the spare handle is from? Looks like a ball end that lost the ball and had a new neck modified and glued it. I won't have the razors in my possession until today so I can't do a close inspection yet. Just haven't seen a handle like that before.

$20151128_161221.jpg

Top Bottom