What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416540431.253093.jpg

Just received this NEW Deluxe Criterion in the mail today. I got it in a trade with another member. I can't wait to try it out in the morning! Do these shave the same as a three piece NEW Deluxe? I imagine it will, just figured I would ask.

These may not have the rarity value of a New Deluxe, or be as beautiful to your eyes, but I love 'em. I bought these two techs from a generous B&B member (actually I only bought one of them but he threw the other one in for free!) and they finally arrived at my house today. That's a British '75 on top of a little travel pack, inside of which is a '65 USA model. The lavender cream was a free bonus too.

They both look like they've never been used to my eyes, and came with the cardboard blade place holders.

$Techs.jpg

Keep your voices down! The American one is still asleep in its little bed. I think I'll let it rest a bit longer, after the arduous journey from North Carolina to Northern Thailand!

$US_tech.jpg

Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416684475.342031.jpg

I found these 2 razors today. Does anyone know much about that German razor. It looks like it has a slant to it. It says Hoffritz Germany on it. It's very heavy with a nice solid handle. I'll have to clean it up. It came with that case that says Germany on it and I can't make out the company name.

The simplex razor seemed neat. It's made of plastic but looked old to me.

I found these 2 razors today. Does anyone know much about that German razor. It looks like it has a slant to it. It says Hoffritz Germany on it. It's very heavy with a nice solid handle. I'll have to clean it up. It came with that case that says Germany on it and I can't make out the company name.

The simplex razor seemed neat. It's made of plastic but looked old to me.

Cool scores.

The Hoffritz were rebranded Merkur slants.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Hahaha I'll try to get around to it tomorrow, I'll probably keep it until i have been here long enough to put it up for trade, they share nice, i like it better than the the lc cap.

If it's a home hack, it's VERY well done. There was a real speight of these travel cases in the '60s. I've had a few now, all manner of designs on the outside of the case, even one needlecraft; one mother of pearl, another just pictures, or inked designs. Nice little items ...

Okay, I will hold my hands up and declare absolute ignorance over the 'Marcas Regs' stamp. So, these are South American? I saw a map recently showing Gillette operations the world over and noted how many were in South America. Are all 'Marcas Regs' South American?

EDIT: Interesting! I've had a nose through my Techs and ALL my '60s examples with the 'Gillette' stamped into the cap (both styles) that have REG US in the top left corner, indicating a US model, have MARCAS REGS in the bottom right corner. Curious! I do have some other examples with what appear to be blank baseplate undersides from Britain that have a feint date code combination stamped in, but all "US" models have MARCAS REGS.

Last edited:
Okay, I will hold my hands up and declare absolute ignorance over the 'Marcas Regs' stamp. So, these are South American? I saw a map recently showing Gillette operations the world over and noted how many were in South America. Are all 'Marcas Regs' South American?

Marcas Regs. can be either Portuguese or Spanish. Techs were made in Argentina and Brazil, but I believe all Brazilian razors say ''Industria Brasileira'', and the Argentinian examples sometimes are stamped only with ''Marcas Regs'', others state the country of origin, like this one:

proxy.php

I think your Tech is Argentinian.

Cool! Thank you for the education ... did you catch my edit above? I was typing while you were ...

EDIT: Interesting! I've had a nose through my Techs and ALL my '60s examples with the 'Gillette' stamped into the cap (both styles) that have REG US in the top left corner, indicating a US model, have MARCAS REGS in the bottom right corner. Curious!

Not necessarily. Gillette would have placed that stamp on anything that might possibly end up in a Spanish-speaking or Portuguese-speaking market. It simply means that registered trademarks appear on the razor. At some point I think they were also moving some manufacturing to Mexico, but I have not researched that topic.

The razors sold in Portugal were regular UK and US examples, that I know for sure, mostly UK actually ... not sure if American Techs were sold there too, they end up there, I just can't be sure if they were bought in Portugal.

Since they produced razors in Brazil and Argentina makes sense that these examples all came from there.

Mexican razors usually say Hecho en Mexico, did they produce Techs there too? I've seen a few TTO, not sure if I ever saw a Tech. Probably I did but I can't remember.

It gets more interesting ... thanks for the replies.

Okay, ALL my examples that have MARCAS REGS in the bottom right corner also have REG US in the top left and PAT OFF in the top right, just like this one I pictured above.

Perhaps, it was a case of writing the patent information for both US and abroad (Spanish speaking)?

I'm not sure anymore ... But here's a Brazilian Tech, poor pic I know, if I find a better one I'll post.

Says ''Marcas Regist Patenteada'' and ''Industria Brasileira''

Better picture, but a later Tech:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom