What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Couldn't resist this deal. Brand New Schick Krona Razor and Blades. :w00t:

$IMG_0826-1.jpg

$IMG_0829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys.
I have been visiting and reading for quite some time.
I have joined the forum to ask for advice

I have been introduced to the world of wet shaving by the Muhle r106.
I feel confident with my technique and would like to expand my collection.

I have the option to buy either a Merkur 42c, Parker 22r or Parker 89R. I am leaning towards the 89R but have read good reviews (this b&b included) on the merkur. And the butterfly blade guard of the 22r still keeps it in the back of my mind. (I am looking for something more aggressive than the muhle)

Can anyone sway me one way or the other, please.

Thank you in advance

It's been an odd week, collecting-wise. Before Monday, I'd never even seen a "V3" date code razor. Now I have three of them. The first is the previously posted Aristocrat, and the next two are enroute; both Super Speeds. One has V3 stamped in the same direction as all the other lettering; however, the second has the V3 stamped upside down.

I know Milords had the V3 date stamp (see here, 3rd post), but does anyone know about the Techs? In addition to the Aristocrat, Super Speed, and Milord, I believe the Tech was the only other razor being made by Gillette in 1950.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 207
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408884630.043615.jpg

1916 Gillette Single ring. Replated in Rhodium by Sam.

Just completed a 4 pass shave and found it to be a stellar performer. This is my fourth open comb Gillette and they all deliver.

Great plating job too.

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a vintage Gillette razor kit at a thrift shop and I was hoping someone here may be able to provide me with info about it. I'm pretty sure it's from the 1920's, but I'm not sure what year. I'm also having trouble as the case is a different shape then almost every one out there. I've only seen pictures of two that are the same, but they have been red and mine is green.

Any info someone might have about this would be VERY much appreciated. I'm not a collector, but I loved the look of it from the instant I saw it. I'm just trying to learn as much about it as I can.

The razor has no serial number on it, and it says "Made in Canada" on it. The blade case however says "Made in USA" on it. Did it come like this or is it a mismatched set?

Thanks in advance for any info I might get.
Liam
$Case.jpg$Razor.jpg

Hi Liam,

Achim has a similar set, but he lists it as "unusual representation" so I guess we can't say much more.
You can't date it, it was made in the 20s as you said, but since they weren't numbered we can't tell the exact production date.
I'm not sure if it is mismatched or not, but probably is. If the razor was made in Canada, I'd think they made the blade cases too, but I could be wrong.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920s unusual representation set.jpg

It's a very nice set, congrats!

I was touring thrift stores while on a business trip and when I was looking through a box of bathroom items (hair curlers, combs etc.) and this little ziploc bag with a $4.00 price tag got my attention. Inside I found two grungy razors, a 59 blue tip and a Schick Injector Adjustable. The blue tip had a blade installed (X2). My imagination started to run wild, thinking about the story this razor could tell, a 55 year old razor with a 62 year old blade. Who used it, why did he quit and why was it left just sitting around. I know what the next chapter will be. I will clean it up and see how it shaves, and then either keep it or pass it on to some other aficionado. The Schick will go into rotation with my E3, and my other SE razors. These are the before photos.
View attachment 478739View attachment 478740
Hey Rod, that wouldn't have been in Fort st. John would it? I was just in a store that a nice man from GP was in a couple weeks ago that bought a tto and was looking for a straight. I immediately thought it was you. Nice score.

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but it seems like it is. I started wet shaving 5 months ago and I wanted to try out a vintage razor, so today I found this Gillette super speed at an Antique store, It has X 4 for the date code, I know these pictures are terrible but I don't see really much if any rust on it, there seems to be a very, very small amount of "pitting" on the cap, it opens and closes very easily but I was just wondering what should I use to clean this, because it seems like the only thing that's dirtying it up is maybe very old shaving cream in the nooks and crannies, again I'm sorry because these pictures really suck. Bye the way, I paid $10.00 for this with no box.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but it seems like it is. I started wet shaving 5 months ago and I wanted to try out a vintage razor, so today I found this Gillette super speed at an Antique store, It has X 4 for the date code, I know these pictures are terrible but I don't see really much if any rust on it, there seems to be a very, very small amount of "pitting" on the cap, it opens and closes very easily but I was just wondering what should I use to clean this, because it seems like the only thing that's dirtying it up is maybe very old shaving cream in the nooks and crannies, again I'm sorry because these pictures really suck. Bye the way, I paid $10.00 for this with no box.
Ooops..forgot pics.$uploadfromtaptalk1409353627054.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409353638215.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409353646853.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409353657891.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409353669839.jpg

Top Bottom