What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

I got number three of four today. it's a MIL issue Simplex 7 from the last quarter of 1940.. it is mint in the box.
I'm really debating if I even want to try it, since it's never been used.

Techs (or any other razor for that matter) weren't date coded in 1940. That K4 is 4th quarter 1965.

It is a Simplex handle, tho' which were issued as Military razors. Further to nuclearblast K4 = 1965 ... the stamped cap is a '60s style.

Went antique shopping with the wife today and picked up a 60' fat boy and what I believe to be a travel tech for dirt cheap. Not sure what kind of plating is on it but they cleaned up pretty well. Anyone know what kind of plating is on the mini tech?

Attachments

• $Photo Dec 21, 4 44 03 PM.jpg
    $Photo Dec 21, 4 44 03 PM.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 98
I got one of those Russian twin blade razors with an open comb on one side and solid bar on the other. The top tier where you put two half DE blades doesn't quite work, but it makes a nice cap for my Personna base.

proxy.php

... it put me in mind of the Wilkinson Sword Bonded for some reason, pictured alongside.

Last edited:
Mark,

Looks like you are progressing nicely on your RAD. Ha. Nice pickups. You going to leave the silver patina on your single ring? I love the natural patina. My double ring and bulldog still have their original patina and I won't be taking it off.

Here is my latest acquisition and one I have been hunting for awhile. A super nice NEW De Luxe Criterion Chrome set (serial # 29125) w/ no handle cracks. I have a question for you history enthusiasts as this handle has no patent dates stamped on the handle. It looks to me to be all original and there is no evidence of a patent # ever being there (aka crappy replate covering it over). I read that the early NEWs did not have patent info on them. Just wondering if this is true. Here she is. She is a heavy sucker. I think I am going to like this one.

Attachments

• $IMG_2652.jpg
    $IMG_2652.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 140
  • $IMG_2653.jpg
    $IMG_2653.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 139
  • $IMG_2658.jpg
    $IMG_2658.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 139
  • $IMG_2659.jpg
    $IMG_2659.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Beautiful condition, and the chrome plating looks original to me.
The examples I've seen have the JAN 13 1920 Other Patents Pending on the handle though

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930 Belmont.JPG

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930 De Luxe Criterion Gold.JPG

My Big Boy has the patent info as well. But that doesn't mean much IMO. I've seen weirder than that. Having a serial # means it was produced in 1930.

Congrats on a very nice score, Brent!

Btw, just to clarify. The early NEWs don't have patent numbers stamped on the base plate. The handles have the JAN 13 1920 patent info.

Last edited:
I considered replating that one, but after the shave I got with the 40's-50s tech I may get that one done, and add it to the rotation.

considering it is 98 years old i like the idea of leaving her as is

Beautiful razors, David, Mark and Brent.

This one arrived yesterday evening, after a loooong wait.......

$IMG_20141223_085522.jpg

I need to give it a good clean and then take it for a spin. Have heard they are great shavers.

Beautiful razors, David, Mark and Brent.

This one arrived yesterday evening, after a loooong wait.......

I need to give it a good clean and then take it for a spin. Have heard they are great shavers.

ohh. That's a nice one. Really like the case as well. I have barely delved into the other than Gillette category. Stop showing this stuff or I'm going to have to start a new display case. ��

Great razors everyone, congratulations men! Jolly Good Show!!! Guru, does the whole handle unscrew, or does it disassemble like a Single Ring? It looks just like mine, so I'm curious.

Guru, does the whole handle unscrew, or does it disassemble like a Single Ring? It looks just like mine, so I'm curious.

It sure looks like yours, but I believe yours is a two piece? I thought mine was too, so first thing I took it apart, and it indeed is a three piece, comes apart almost like a Single Ring. I have it handy, so clicked a quick photo (Pardon the quality) -

$IMG_20141223_120137.jpg

On mine the whole handle unscrews. I guess they are a little different. Thanks for responding to my question Guru. That's a nice razor you have there. Congrats! You'll love the shaves.

Yes it is a three piece razor. It's my understanding there is two versions like yours. One is much heavier than the other. I think mine is the earliest version, where the whole handle comes off when unscrewed.

Top Bottom