What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

So now my theory changed and I understand what Mike was saying. If they don't state the country of manufacture, they were probably made elsewhere (US?) but destined to the South American market.

Ah, so my "US" Gillettes from that period are in fact US, just that they have the Spanish on as well ... presumably something they just did during that period.

Still, a fun razor ... especially with the compressed ball end.

I think we will never be able to tell what Gillette did and for what reason. We would think that they stamped their razors in Spanish for Spanish speaking countries, but I have a Argentinian Tech which is stamped "Made in Argentina" or something like that in English. I don't know if I have a photo here of the base plate handy, since the cap thread post broke pretty quickly after I received it.

I think we will never be able to tell what Gillette did and for what reason. We would think that they stamped their razors in Spanish for Spanish speaking countries, but I have a Argentinian Tech which is stamped "Made in Argentina" or something like that in English. I don't know if I have a photo here of the base plate handy, since the cap thread post broke pretty quickly after I received it.

That would be interesting to see: Achim has a few examples stamped "INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA". But I see various things marked "Made in Japan", "Made in Germany", etc. — sometimes even when they were for sale in their country of origin. English is something of a common denominator, especially for commerce.

By the way Porter posted some good comments and a picture of a very similar "goofy travel Tech" in an earlier thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/341724-Marcas-Regs - and it was also an L-2 oddly enough.

Some of the later Techs I've seen said both "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." and "Marcas Regs." as though they were made for both North and South American markets. This one, for instance, included the original card insert that would seem to indicate that the razor was made in the Boston plant. I don't know if every Tech marked this way could be said to be American made, or if it was a shift that they made in all their "New World" factories to allow inventory to be shifted as needed.

I will eat my words. Looked up the base plate after going home and it says "INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA". Also,"MARCA REGIS". It's an L4 BTW. Here's a pic - not too clear I'm afraid.

$IMG_20141125_223136.jpg

€65 with shipping included for a New Improved Big Fellow with shipper and in that condition is not breaking the bank, it's a very nice score actually.

Congrats.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Gillette #77 Tech Set, right? The cap might want a re-plate, otherwise complete, intact and very nice! I think I have a suitable cap in at the platers at the moment, but it's been a while and I've almost forgotten what I sent ...

Cheers! I've given it a good wash and the razor a polish ... yes, just the top cap is going to want some attention, but I do have one coming back from the platers, so that's that sorted.

Do you ever sleep, Edgar? :lol:

I thought so as well. But It did put a dent in my account. There was some custom fees as well. But overall I am really haåpy I got this.

I've just snagged a black plastic case with a sliding lid for the Star razor as part of a collection of bits and piece (yet to arrive). No razor, though. If they're any good, I might well look out for one to make up the set.

They certainly look nice - the comb looks to be comfortable and the star at the end of the handle is a nice touch.

Top Bottom