What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Acquired today. :lol:

$IMG_0748.jpg

Merkur 23C Long Handle

Picked this '34 American Aristocrat up recently and gave it a warm bath with some dawn dish soap and some scrubbing with a toothbrush. Going to try it out tomorrow. Came out looking pretty shiny. I was surprised. Looks good w/ my British #15. Love the knurling on these!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 190
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 188
​Early this year I was scanning Ebay for interesting razors. I didn´t see much I liked and what I liked didn´t come with a reasonable pricetag, but a really grimy British Flare Tip Rocket caught my eye, not because of the model itself (I´m unfortunately an BBS-addict and as such I more or less exclusively stick to the more aggressive razors), but because of the grime. There was even a used Gillette Blue stuck in it. Even so it looked like it had potential and I find it rewarding to clean razors. I offered the very low starting bid and no one else bided against me. I got it home, tossed the used blade, put the razor in a plastic bag and stuffed it into a drawer.

A couple of months later I remembered it and for once I had some time on my hands so I decided to sanitize it. I don´t want to know what actually made up the particles and strange goo that floated in the glass jar where I had put the razor. After a lot of work the razor turned out to be in very good condition. It doesn´t even have the usual scratches on the outside of the doors. It was promoted to a place in my ordinary razor storage. The story could have ended there, since I, as written above, prefer aggressive razors. But last morning, when I was taking out my Joris the Flare Tip caught my eye and I thought that I might as well give it a try.

I put a Feather into it and went to work. The first pass felt just as extremely mild as I had suspected, but when I afterwards touched my face the first pass had taken off much more stubble than I had had reason to expect. During the second pass the razor still felt ridiculously mild, but it still managed to shave off more stubble. During the third pass I even tried to provoke it to bite me and I laughed since I couldn´t make it do so. Admittedly I didn´t try that hard but my the same behavior with a R41 would have cost me dearly. I rinsed my face and gave it a splash of Floid that came totally without sting. To my great surprise I had got a BBS, not a very long lasting but still a BBS.

I have gained an understanding to why Super Speeds were so popular and for so long. This is the only one I´ve ever tried. I probably won´t get another one and the one I got might not get too much use, but I´m truly impressed by its capabilities as a mainstream razor and I going to keep it.

I´m sorry that I haven´t got any “before” pictures but I didn´t see the need at the time.

Thank you for reading
Polarbeard
$2014-07-31 17.08.01.jpg

Last edited:
I was touring thrift stores while on a business trip and when I was looking through a box of bathroom items (hair curlers, combs etc.) and this little ziploc bag with a $4.00 price tag got my attention. Inside I found two grungy razors, a 59 blue tip and a Schick Injector Adjustable. The blue tip had a blade installed (X2). My imagination started to run wild, thinking about the story this razor could tell, a 55 year old razor with a 62 year old blade. Who used it, why did he quit and why was it left just sitting around. I know what the next chapter will be. I will clean it up and see how it shaves, and then either keep it or pass it on to some other aficionado. The Schick will go into rotation with my E3, and my other SE razors. These are the before photos.
$20140730_132103.jpg$20140730_132132.jpg

Got this one today. A silver plated 1916 Ball End Pocket Edition with thin head and cap. Case has a bit of plate loss and the interior is pretty messed up but the razor itself is looking great. One crack in the handle that I will have to repair but that isnt a problem. Before and after a bit of clean up, the case is gonna take some elbow grease.
View attachment 478797View attachment 478798

My Merkur 34g and German manufactured Wilkinson Sword Classic blades came today! This is my very first DE razor--I can't wait! Stock photo:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Just picked this up off Ebay last night. Seller said it's an Aristocrat, but I don't think so. Maybe Flare Tip SS? What do you guys think? I'm still new to this game, though my RAD is getting ahold of me.

proxy.php

Top Bottom