What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

A couple of months ago I purchased a 1958 Executive on eBay. I probably paid too much for it, but it was what I wanted. On closer examination I found that one door was "tweaked" a bit out of alignment and most of the gold was pretty faded, but I decided to keep it anyway. Here is what it looked like:

proxy.php

Anyway, I decided to get it replated to make this the nicest razor in my collection. So I sent it off to Chris Evatt at RazorPlate. He was pretty backed up with work, but he kept me informed as my razor progressed. He also said he managed to correct the doors. So, finally, last week, it arrived...

proxy.php

proxy.php

The razor is extremely bright and IMHO looks amazing!

I can't say enough about Chris, he did excellent work. He emphasized that he plates razors under the same processes and specifications that Gillette used. I think his attention to detail is unmatched. So I also sent him an early '40's Tech that was in pretty rough shape to get replated for a gift. Chris contacted me to let me know that that old Tech had been replated by someone else, very badly. Chris stripped off the bad plating and uncovered the original Gillette logo etched on the head. He managed to save that etching and returned the razor...gift-wrapped...in amazing condition.

So take a look at my new "baby", I hope you enjoy. And, if you ever want something replated, consider Chris!

Picked up a Sheraton from a B&B member couple of weeks ago, I was lucky to be the first to IM the seller, after the sale, I saw many posts from people who wished luck to the buyer, as they missed it. Well after a little tarnish clean up, here she is, took her for a spin tonight, what an efficient razor!

$Sheraton razor.jpg

Hello gentlemen, I just finished cleaning up a razor I scored about a week ago, which came in the mail yesterday. It's a 1930's Gillette Aristocrat. This one was utterly filthy, as you can see by the before photo. It took a lot of elbow grease, but it was worth the effort. And it's mechanically sound too. Here is the before shot,(sellers photo)-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410880495.928218.jpg
And here's the after photo-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410880540.244149.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410880551.176903.jpg
Have a great day!

Hello gentlemen, I just finished cleaning up a razor I scored about a week ago, which came in the mail yesterday. It's a 1930's Gillette Aristocrat. This one was utterly filthy, as you can see by the before photo. It took a lot of elbow grease, but it was worth the effort. And it's mechanically sound too. Here is the before shot,(sellers photo)-
View attachment 496506
And here's the after photo-
View attachment 496507
View attachment 496508
Have a great day!
Great score. Keep them coming gents.

Last weekend was my first EVER find of razors in the wild. Local indoor garage sale, new house owner selling left over junk from a previous owner leftovers, basement full of gunk, 15 min in, my wife tells me, "hey, aren't those the style razors you have in your shave den" and pulls out 3 from a tool box full of loose nails, broken utility knifes, screw drivers and paint scrapers.

The two Schick Injector razors still had the rusty blades inside, the Super Speed also had a thick accumulation of rust inside, all were covered with paint, embeded into them.

Before:

$3 razors from wild og.jpg
$SS TTO from wild og.jpg

After some soaking, cleaning and polishing, 100% function:

$3 razors from wild after 1.jpg$3 razors from wild after 2.jpg
$SS TTO after 2.jpg

:001_smile

Top Bottom