What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

We fled Indiana for Tennessee this week to give the kids some time with the grandparents. My wife and I did some antique shopping today. She scored some good deals on oil lamps and cookie jars and such, but I was batting .000. That is until the last place we hit. I scored each of these for $10 a piece.

H-1 Slim Adjustable. Everything works now that it's been cleaned.
$IMAG0496_PerfectlyClear.jpg

This next one had a black sheen on it plus some kind of fabric wrapped around the knob. I originally passed on this, only to have second thoughts and return about an hour later to get it. Score. Unless nickel plating tarnishes black, a silver polish cloth revealed a nice shiny silver finish. 1922 Bostonian Silver.
$IMAG0497_PerfectlyClear.jpg

And last, I had a choice between a Flare Tip, unknown date (too dirty), and this Black handle Super Speed, date unknown at time of purchase. I chose this one. It turned out to have a mild, but ugly scrape on one of the doors revealing some brass. After some cleaning, I revealed the date code P-1. OMG my birth year razor, only one quarter off!
$IMAG0494_PerfectlyClear.jpg

The Fates were smiling on me today.

Until recently, I limited my collection to Old Types, only occasionally acquiring a different variety razor. I am now beginning to collect "the New Gillette". This week I purchased these three razors, but am uncertain if I have identified them correctly. Please help! I am going to post these as three posts, due to photo limitations.
Thank you,
Bob

The first, I thik is a 1930 New Safety Regent, but none on the Mr. razor chart say Made in USA as this does....$1930 New Safety Regent 1.jpg$1930 New safety Regent 2.jpg$1930 New Safety Regent 3.jpg

That one since it's serial numbered, as you say it was made in 1930 or early '31.

The LC you posted first can't be dated, depending on whether it has patent numbers or not you can only tell if it is prior or post '32-'33.

Last edited:
The Last, and for lack of a better name, I think is a 1934 #501 Special Set. The lady I bought it from said (and I now have it in writing) that her grandmother bought the set for her grandfather as a present at the Chicago World's Fair in 1934.$1934 501 Spl. Set 1.jpg$1934 501 Spl. Set 2.jpg$1934 501 Spl. Set 3.jpg$1934 501 Spl. Set 4.jpg$1934 501 Spl. Set 5.jpg
Thank you everyone for your help.
Bob

The reason I set the date at 1934, was not just because of when I was told it was bought, but because the handle was typical of those that were made in 1934 and before.

Thank you for the help.
Bob

The reason I set the date at 1934, was not just because of when I was told it was bought, but because the handle was typical of those that were made in 1934 and before.

Thank you for the help.
Bob

Actually, no.

The general consensus is that the bar handles first appeared in the mid 30s, not before that. Achim dates his set to 1936 (based on the blades), and I'd say that's a more accurate dating.

The first 3 piece NEWs (except Deluxe models) came with ball end handles, not bar handles as you're suggesting.

Btw, I'm not saying it's not from 1934, there's ads from 1934 showing a bar handle. I'm saying they weren't used before that, as you said.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I was looking at the photos of the 1934 Red and Black Set: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1934 Red and Black DeLuxe.JPG

Thank you for the help. If you make it to L.A., let me know and I would like to buy you a drink....

Bob

I need to correct myself too. Seems like '33 may have been when they first used bar handles, although the norm for the very first years would have been the ball end handles. May have been late '33, since the '34 ad refers to it as the ''new-style husky handle''.

Thanks for the invite btw. :thumbup1:

I just received my ebay find in the mail today. Have not yet shaved with it. Can anyone tell me what year it is? It was sold as Gillette Aristocrat and my quick googling revealed it might be 1946-47 model but those corroded end parts were in shiny gold in all photos I could find on the internet... so am not so sure anymore.

I 've been eyeing these shiny golden razors for a while but wanted to give it a try for small $$$ before I invest in a boxed and replated one. :)
$020315gillette5.jpg

I just received my ebay find in the mail today. Have not yet shaved with it. Can anyone tell me what year it is? It was sold as Gillette Aristocrat and my quick googling revealed it might be 1946-47 model but those corroded end parts were in shiny gold in all photos I could find on the internet... so am not so sure anymore.

I 've been eyeing these shiny golden razors for a while but wanted to give it a try for small $$$ before I invest in a boxed and replated one. :)
View attachment 560304
Looks like a nice '48-'50 Aristocrat, missing at least one of the end caps? It's not a big deal, it can be repaired if you want, or leave it as is. They also look nice without end caps.

Congrats! [emoji106]

Looks like a nice '48-'50 Aristocrat, missing at least one of the end caps? It's not a big deal, it can be repaired if you want, or leave it as is. They also look nice without end caps.

Congrats! [emoji106]

Thanks! Both end caps are missing but as long as it does not affect functionality it's no biggie. And I didn't pay very much for this anyways.

Got this as a gift for my father-in-law, still new in the box. It's hard to find a gift for the man who has everything, I hope he likes it,

$image.jpg

Top Bottom