What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Not bad for a 60 year old razor aye! :001_smile

Makes a nice little trio of vintage Gillettes...

$image.jpg

Gillette Aristocrat

A few months ago I bought a NEW SC that had a case, I knew the case and blade holder was wrong. The case was for an early Aristocrat. Since I've migrated back to milder razor, I started looking for an Aristocrat for the case I already have. Early this week, I found one, a '47 or earlier one. I was the only bidder for $29.99 + $6 for shipping. I was shocked at the low price it sold for and the condition it is in.

I had one a couple of years who and sold it, I believe it was a later one. As suspected, the head on this on looks exactly like the head on my '40 style Superspeed which is one of my favorites. Very happy with this purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
L'Essor Le Supreme Been wanting to try one of these for ages. Very head biased weighting. The adjustment range also seems huge. I'm still not done pulling verdigris out of it but close.

$20160624_184757.jpg$20160624_184803.jpg$20160624_184809.jpg$20160624_184818.jpg

It's going to be very interesting. It adjusts to a huge gap but the way the mechanism is designed the bars move on an arc trajectory so they are furthest out at the largest gap so it may blunt the effect of the gap to some degree. It's heavy but 65% of it seems to be up top. Slightly shorter than a fatboy. I think the length contributes to the gorgeous industrial aesthetic this thing has but the balance would be helped a lot by a longer handle. I don't think it will be anything like the Gibbs in use

No great story to this one, sadly. I just paid a frenchman the small fortune he wanted this time around. No great barn or estate tale. Every once in awhile I admit defeat and just pay market value for something

I've only been shaving with a double edge since April. But it didn't take long for me to get the RAD. So since these have been acquired over such a short period of time, I think it makes sense to post my current collection here. The most recent acquisitions are the black fat handle tech and the Muhle R41 head (currently sitting on an EJ DE89 handle). I have a Razorock Barberpole handle on its way which is where the Muhle R41 will end up sitting. And I feel confident in saying that with the RR purchase, I'll be done for a very long time.

$IMG_0531.JPG$IMG_0532.JPG

I've only been shaving with a double edge since April. But it didn't take long for me to get the RAD. So since these have been acquired over such a short period of time, I think it makes sense to post my current collection here. The most recent acquisitions are the black fat handle tech and the Muhle R41 head (currently sitting on an EJ DE89 handle). I have a Razorock Barberpole handle on its way which is where the Muhle R41 will end up sitting. And I feel confident in saying that with the RR purchase, I'll be done for a very long time.

View attachment 668462View attachment 668463
Very nice collection! [emoji106]

Top Bottom