What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Hello fellows, I scored this a couple of days ago-http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231754649742 It is a 1940/41 Gillette Milord Tech. I scored a replated one about a year ago, but it's too nice to shave with. That's why I jumped on this one. These razors are a fantastic shave. Thanks for your interest, and have a great day!

We can't see the picture in the link once the bid is over. Show us a picture! :001_rolle

Sorry about that Johnnie! Here's a couple of screen shots. I hope they come out-

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448482059.121532.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448482078.886740.jpg

There we are!

Found this 1905 Double Ring today in an antique shop. Persistence pays off. :thumbup1: Random decision to go at lunch and there it was. First real significant score in the wild.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1946 Gillette Milord came in today - end caps but no notch in bar and patent info stamp.

I'll see how it compares to Sheraton which is one I really like and the newer 40's style super speeds. 48-51 Aristocrat is on the way. Was hoping it was going to be a 46 too, but the Aristocrat has notched bar.

Got a couple of cheapies locally today.

1932 Canadian Tech

British Wardonia

Bob
Great finds. That is a contract tech made during the war with the plastic handle. That is a nice looking wardonia with the metal end on the handle. You have to modify a blade to fit, but it will give you an excellent shave. Enjoy your adventure

I made a special trip out to The Art of Shaving and picked up a Meuhl R89 Grande, a brush, and a bowl with the sandalwood soap. I look forward to my first foray into the world of wet shaving in the morning. Happy Thanksgiving to me!

I made a special trip out to The Art of Shaving and picked up a Meuhl R89 Grande, a brush, and a bowl with the sandalwood soap. I look forward to my first foray into the world of wet shaving in the morning. Happy Thanksgiving to me!

Excellent sir. Welcome to the site. Sounds like it will be a memorable Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

I successfully performed my first wet shave. Did 3 passes. No cuts. Really smooth. I feel a little raw on my neck where I went 4 passes. Lesson learned. Overall, I would say it was a success, though it still isn't as consistently smooth as my fusion. Just need practice in not missing spots.

I couldnt feel the blade nearly as much as I expected. Maybe that's what they mean about the R89 being a mild, or less aggressive razor? And the sandalwood has such a strong scent. Not sure I like it as much as I thought I would. I may go with a different scent once this one is done. Who knows, I may get used to it. I guess the wife will be the final say on that one.

I successfully performed my first wet shave. Did 3 passes. No cuts. Really smooth. I feel a little raw on my neck where I went 4 passes. Lesson learned. Overall, I would say it was a success, though it still isn't as consistently smooth as my fusion. Just need practice in not missing spots.

I couldnt feel the blade nearly as much as I expected. Maybe that's what they mean about the R89 being a mild, or less aggressive razor? And the sandalwood has such a strong scent. Not sure I like it as much as I thought I would. I may go with a different scent once this one is done. Who knows, I may get used to it. I guess the wife will be the final say on that one.

Sounds like you did fantastic on your first go. Stick with the same set up and you will find it gets easier and better as time rolls on. Once you think you have your technique down you can then start experimenting with new razors. The neck is the toughest spot to get perfect. I would just take it easy and go for a damn fine shave (DFS) for now without it being baby butt smooth (BBS) until you get more familiar. This should keep you from getting raw. I have been shaving for 1.5 years now and still don't go after BBS everywhere. Not worth it. Ha. Did you watch some of the shaving videos on you tube? For your soap you can leave the lid off and some of the fragrance will start to lighten up. Some soaps stay strong though so this may not help. Also, a good aftershave or balm will help with the irritation. Go check out the aftershave sub forum for ideas. Happy Thanksgiving.

Picked up two razors at an antique store for $24...pretty happy overall. Just haven't had a chance to use them yet. The one is mismatched for the case it's in, it appears to be an older Gillette travel razor. The other one is Canadian made, not sure on what it is exactly either...but I'm sure you gentlemen will inform me.

Travel razor info:
Gillette on top of cap
Also has "REG US PAT OFF", a Gillette logo and "MARCAS REGS" stamped in it, together with an L in the upper left, a 4 in the upper right.

The Canadian razor:
Pat.Canada and 1932
Gillette Logo and Made in Canada

I plan on cleaning them up as well...haven't got that far yet.

Top Bottom