What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

RAD has creeped back in my life. Ugh. Picked up what appears to be a #48 Aristocrat Junior set this evening. Not sure I have seen this white case. Have to wait for delivery. Going to be difficult not to try it out. Ha. Same head as the #21. What to do?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
PIF it to me! :001_rolle

That's a Popular case. IMO

It definitely looks like the Popular case. The blade blanks look right though. Also looks like the instructions are tucked in there as well. This is from Australia so who knows. Maybe they used leftover old stuff and packaged it together and sold it in Australia. Ha. Hodgepodge. Look forward to checking it out.

Update: Appears they did make a white case 48 Australian set.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/329333-Aristocrat-Junior-Question

Last edited:
Here are the first 2 DE razors I've purchased. Last month I got the '60 Super Speed at a flea market. It was marked at $10, but I got it for $6 'cause that's all I had on me. I bought the '61 Fatboy today at an antiques store for $20. Both are in decent shape, although could use a good cleaning.

$IMG_0006.jpg$IMG_0004.jpg

I just took a flyer on this because we all have our weaknesses and mine is that I'm in love with all things Aristocrat (pre-1955, that is) :blushing: I haven't found this set on mr-razor.com, then again, I don't expect Achim has an example of everything Gillette ever made, but most of the visual clues seemed "right" to me - silver(ish) canisters and silver(ish) blade safes that match the silver logo in the headliner, blade safes that look like they're from the '30s, etc. For the price(GBP57.75 shipped), it seemed worth the risk, especially since this is the first of its kind that I've seen.

Now....what razor should I be looking for, since I'd be surprised if the razor included is original? Could this case be from the silver British Aristocrat set #2 listed in the Wiki? I know, I should be so lucky, right?
proxy.php

I believe that should be set #2 or #3, Dan. I am not the expert though, and I heard the experts are away on vacations now.

I just took a flyer on this because we all have our weaknesses and mine is that I'm in love with all things Aristocrat (pre-1955, that is) :blushing: I haven't found this set on mr-razor.com, then again, I don't expect Achim has an example of everything Gillette ever made, but most of the visual clues seemed "right" to me - silver(ish) canisters and silver(ish) blade safes that match the silver logo in the headliner, blade safes that look like they're from the '30s, etc. For the price(GBP57.75 shipped), it seemed worth the risk, especially since this is the first of its kind that I've seen.

Now....what razor should I be looking for, since I'd be surprised if the razor included is original? Could this case be from the silver British Aristocrat set #2 listed in the Wiki? I know, I should be so lucky, right?
proxy.php

Well done, Dan! I was eyeing this one but somehow missed it. Not an expert... but on holiday too!:)

Well done, Dan! I was eyeing this one but somehow missed it. Not an expert... but on holiday too!:)
Thank you, Juan Manuel! It'll be interesting to get a definitive ID on this unique piece, then to begin searching for the proper razor to make it period-correct.

Where on holidays?

Dan, congratulations on the Aristocrat set. Hopefully we will find an answer soon about that specific model this might be.

Lambretto, those are some most intriguing razors especially the Miwa. Do let us know how they shave.

Dan, congratulations on the Aristocrat set. Hopefully we will find an answer soon about that specific model this might be.

Lambretto, those are some most intriguing razors especially the Miwa. Do let us know how they shave.

The Miwa razor has a strange system of blades that are joined by a hinge in the center.

I do not know if will try ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom