What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Got this from my mom! I've been thinking about trying DE razor, and remembered that my mom had one of those (can't remember what brand, I was still small when she had it). I called her and asked if it's still around... and luckily, it is!
So, yesterday I went to her house (she lives in a different city), and when I asked about it, she gave it to me, saying "don't understand why you want this old thing... the new disposable ones are easier and more practical to use..." (yay! :D )
From B&B's Gillette Dating Info wiki, it's a Gillette Super Adjustable, made in 1977, 3rd quarter.

By the way, is it okay to clean the head part with metal polish? It looks kind of faded - I guess it was used frequently...

Attachments

• $IMG_2505.jpg
    $IMG_2505.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 168
  • $IMG_2509.jpg
    $IMG_2509.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 167
  • $IMG_2506.jpg
    $IMG_2506.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 167
  • $IMG_2505.JPG
    $IMG_2505.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 170
  • $IMG_2509.JPG
    $IMG_2509.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I've found "Flitz" to be an excellent polish. It is all I will use. A small dab on a clean soft cloth, rub/polish for a bit, then go to a clean part of the cloth and finish. it is more like a cleaner/wax and to damage the plating you would have to work at it for quite a while. If you put some on a toothbrush and work the handle a little that will really clean up the knurling. Again just finish with a soft rag. Do that and that boy should look fantastic!

I've found "Flitz" to be an excellent polish. It is all I will use. A small dab on a clean soft cloth, rub/polish for a bit, then go to a clean part of the cloth and finish. it is more like a cleaner/wax and to damage the plating you would have to work at it for quite a while. If you put some on a toothbrush and work the handle a little that will really clean up the knurling. Again just finish with a soft rag. Do that and that boy should look fantastic!
Can you post a photo of your tube/bottle of Flitz. I want to make sure I get the correct one. Thanks.

Picked this up for €10 at a local flea market on Saturday.

Looks to be practically unused and cleaned up nicely with some Tarni Shield. Case is chrome and the handle appears to be solid pewter or silver plated because it released a lot of black tarnish before I got it to shine.

Have shaved twice with it and it takes a little maneuvering because the head is so slim, but it shaved clean and no cuts with a decent Merkur blade.

No idea who made this. Looks German or even locally made here in Spain:

I found this at a yard sale. They was asking 3 dollars but didn't have change for my 5 so they added (not pictured) a R1 gillette super speed, which happens to be my birth year. The Fatboy is in flawless condition. Not a bad day at all. $uploadfromtaptalk1427704692569.jpg

I found this at a yard sale. They was asking 3 dollars but didn't have change for my 5 so they added (not pictured) a R1 gillette super speed, which happens to be my birth year. The Fatboy is in flawless condition. Not a bad day at all. View attachment 560737

Coincidence. I also found a NIB Fat boy at a flea market on Saturday from the same guy I bought the vintage kit from, but paid €30 for this one:

Top Bottom