What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Bought this off the bay... 2nd quarter 1957 red tip...it was so rough that I got it for 5 bucks:

$Before.jpg

I thought it might clean up OK, and be a good shaver if nothing else. Well, it didn't clean up so well, lol. So I decided to strip it down to the base metal and repaint the tip just to see what it would look like then. Here's the result:

$P1010003.JPG

Interesting. The handle from the neck down appears to be copper. From the neck up it appears to be yellow brass. Anyway, I like the way it turned out!

Last edited:
Bought this off the bay... 2nd quarter 1957 red tip...it was so rough that I got it for 5 bucks:

View attachment 554329

I thought it might clean up OK, and be a good shaver if nothing else. Well, it didn't clean up so well, lol. So I decided to strip it down to the base metal and repaint the tip just to see what it would look like then. Here's the result:

View attachment 554332

Interesting. The handle from the neck down appears to be copper. From the neck up it appears to be yellow brass. Anyway, I like the way it turned out!
She's a beauty now!

What did you use to do that? I have a few superspeeds that i'm willing to try that on.

I Love all the SS models. They are pretty easy to find, and, easy to give away. :thumbup1:

Yeah, i agree with the first part, but not so much the second, lol. I absolutely love the super speeds. i only have the one black handled one, but when I get my grubby little hands on any more, they will never leave me. i love all of my razors, but the SS,when I reach for a DE, is the one that shaves my mug the best.

I picked this up on the bay recently. The picks on the listing didn't make it clear how it worked. I thought it was interesting and I was the only bidder (very low bidder). I used it for a couple of swipes yesterday and it does shave, but the design would make it difficult to keep it clean on the inside of the mechanism. Someone tried to build a better mouse trap and ended up making a better lather trap. Nice display item though.

$104_1657.jpg
$104_1658.jpg

This is how it is held while shaving. A little awkward.

$104_1660.jpg

Attachments

• $104_1659.jpg
    $104_1659.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 141
I'm going to make a wild guess and suggest that you've got a stropper of some sort there ... not for leather, but perhaps for glass, or similar. The blade appears to be bent in a way that is opposite to the way you'd want to shave with it. Does the blade edge make contact with the surface of, say, your lovely marble worktop when the device is put down?

What did you use to do that? I have a few superspeeds that i'm willing to try that on.

Muriatic acid, patience and elbow grease with a dremel tool. You can get muriatic acid at paint or pool supply stores. I got the 30% concentration. Be warned, you MUST be careful and safe when using this stuff. It will burn the hell out of you, strip your clothes off if you splash some on you, and the vapors are VERY toxic...you MUST do this outside IN A GLASS CONTAINER and avoid breathing the fumes. When you submerge the razor, be prepared to wait...and wait....and wait some more. It will be bubbling and fizzing for what seems like an eternity. I had to soak it for almost two days, every so often taking it out, checking the progress, and hitting it with the steel wire brush attachment attached to the dremel. Don't forget when you're fishing it out, NOT to use anything metal...use plastic forceps and have a fresh water bath to immerse the razor in to dilute the acid and rinse it off before working on it.

It's not an easy job and attempt this only at your own risk of YOU AND THE RAZOR. Mine was so far gone I didn't care what happened to it :w00t:

Last edited:
indeed. gave her a bubble bath, and im a happy camper. i thought shed need a paint job on her numbers, but they were just cruddy. the head was pretty gummed up, but the bubbles took good care of it.

Muriatic acid, patience and elbow grease with a dremel tool. You can get muriatic acid at paint or pool supply stores. I got the 30% concentration. Be warned, you MUST be careful and safe when using this stuff. It will burn the hell out of you, strip your clothes off if you splash some on you, and the vapors are VERY toxic...you MUST do this outside IN A GLASS CONTAINER and avoid breathing the fumes. When you submerge the razor, be prepared to wait...and wait....and wait some more. It will be bubbling and fizzing for what seems like an eternity. I had to soak it for almost two days, every so often taking it out, checking the progress, and hitting it with the steel wire brush attachment attached to the dremel. Don't forget when you're fishing it out, NOT to use anything metal...use plastic forceps and have a fresh water bath to immerse the razor in to dilute the acid and rinse it off before working on it.

It's not an easy job and attempt this only at your own risk of YOU AND THE RAZOR. Mine was so far gone I didn't care what happened to it :w00t:

Thanks for the response.

Wrong case, but I don't really mind. These are hard to come by, and while I would have preferred rhodium over gold, I hear this is a great shaver.
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

THanks Edgar! I mercado libre it's the south America version of eBay. I knew a lot of imports happened in Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina etc. I figured my odds would be better there. After a few days of hunting the relative sites I found a buy it now fur 1800. About $200 USD. I was looking for a rhodium #16, but I will happily settle for the gold. Everyone tells me it's their preferred aristocrat over my #21 and 1934. I'm excited.

Top Bottom