What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

was really looking forward to my first shovel head, but alas, it arrived today with a broken spring and closing clip.
$20160924_133050.jpg
i had been reading about these for a couple of weeks and finally thought i had one, but there is no way that i can get this working. :bored: so i will have to wait.

on a possible good note i bought a set of unused Schick Repeating Razor blades in the little brass tubes. i am hopeful that they could still be good after 60+ years. i should get them some time next week.

was really looking forward to my first shovel head, but alas, it arrived today with a broken spring and closing clip.
View attachment 690899
i had been reading about these for a couple of weeks and finally thought i had one, but there is no way that i can get this working. :bored: so i will have to wait.

on a possible good note i bought a set of unused Schick Repeating Razor blades in the little brass tubes. i am hopeful that they could still be good after 60+ years. i should get them some time next week.

Get some tiny nuts and bolts, try a hobby shop.

View attachment 690899

it can be repaired with a little JB Weld in the place where the spot weld are.the trick is to get in the correct poxition until it sets up

The Darwin Razor:

$dar2.jpg

I actually got this a while ago, but just now got around to cleaning it up for a photo op and honing the blade.

$dar10.jpg

It's a British made wedge blade type razor with a sharpening system built into the case, similar to a Rolls. It was made 1930's - 1950's and was indeed intended to compete with the Rolls.

$dar3.jpg

Unlike the Rolls it is actually a safety razor, with a fully functional guard bar. It's even adjustable.

--Bob

it can be repaired with a little JB Weld in the place where the spot weld are.the trick is to get in the correct poxition until it sets up

well it cant hurt to try. i will get some and see if it can get it attached. it looks like it will take some time to set, so first i need to come up with some kind of clamping system to hold the spring in place. thanks for giving me some hope.

well it cant hurt to try. i will get some and see if it can get it attached. it looks like it will take some time to set, so first i need to come up with some kind of clamping system to hold the spring in place. thanks for giving me some hope.
You could try to set it in place with a magnet on the outside while the JB dries

You could try to set it in place with a magnet on the outside while the JB dries
that was my first thought, but none of it is magnetic. here is my plan..
$20160924_204014.jpg
now to see if we have some JB weld at work and then go buy some if not.... or i may not be able to wait and will end up buying some tomorrow.

Got the little Schick in on Friday.... The Gem Featherlight (?) came today. Both needed a good amount of cleaning but came out nicely.
The Schick is a Type K (I think... please correct me here, I'm new to injectors) and came with the original box.

$0926162107~2.jpg$0923162147~2.jpg

The Schick is fantastic. Tried it out with some Ted Pella PTFE injector blades... very smooth and relaxed shaves.:thumbup:

looking good.make sure to set it in the right spot,maybe thesr will help
View attachment 691165

thanks for the picutes. i did JB weld it up and it has set for about 24 hours, i did close it and it locked up kind of tight, but did not break the weld. i will leave it another day before putting a blade in and locking it up again.

$shovel fix.jpg$shovel fix2.jpg
this is the second attempt, the first time i tried to close it too early and it snapped off. i also thought that the spring had some extra bend in it on one side so i did some repairs on that before welding it a second time. over all it looks pretty good and i think that i will get to try out the shovel head soon. i think the JB weld cost me about as much as the razor, but soon i will get to try out the legend.

Top Bottom