What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Super nice find - awesome. :thumbup1: Where did you find this (assuming it is not a trade secret...)

EBay is hardly a trade secret. :001_rolle

I took a chance on a listing with a few small photos and a vague description . . . and it paid off. :lol:

Wilkinson's aren't really rare, although specimens in this condition don't come along every day. The blade is really the most exciting part, as Wilkinson blades are quite difficult to hone.

--Bob

Two British made PAL Injecto Matics arrived in my mailbox today. One came complete with case, inserts, instruction leaflet and injector magazine. It looks virtually NOS. The other needed a good cleaning but came up nicely. Here's a shot of the nearly NOS one and a shot with the two British PALs and their American cousin:

$PAL IM Magenta with instructions.jpg$PAL IM 3 with case.jpg

Attachments

• $PAL IM Magenta in case with open leaflet.jpg
    $PAL IM Magenta in case with open leaflet.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 107
Another British beauty showed up today. :thumbup1: Thanks to [MENTION=101575]Scooby Doo[/MENTION] for taking shipment of this Streamline and stropper for me. I didn't expect it to be in this kind of shape. Virtually NOS all the way around - down to the strop and the blades.

Case:
$Streamline case.jpg

Case with blade holders down:
$Streamline case.jpg

Case with blade holders up:
$Streamline blade holders up.jpg

Had a couple great find in the wild this afternoon. I visited a large antique shop which I had never visited and I immediately ran across a minty Gem Damaskeene 1912 SE for about half price, Score!

A little later I ran across a Kampfe Star Razor tin in the bottom of a packed showcase, the price tag said "Razor tin". I thought the price was a little steep for the tin but I had been looking for one for a while so I ask the store owner get it out so I could check condition. I planned on haggling with him on the price if I liked it.

He opened the showcase and handed me the tin...and it was heavy. I flipped it open and couldn't believe my eyes. All of the handles, the stripping attachment and even had a wedge blade in the blade compartment. Needless to say I didn't haggle on price.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Very nice. It's a mis-matched set, but that early Gem lather catcher (circa 1904, I think) is considerably more rare than the Kampfe Bros. Star that originally came in that tin.

It is a great shaver with a properly honed wedge blade and modern blades can also be used.

--Bob

Today received:- Schick M45 Adjustable.
Arrived just in time to try out NOS Schick Twin blades, kindly given to me by a fellow subscriber.

$IMG_0492.jpg

Great scores lately guys!

I picked up a Valet Autostrop VC1 at a little antique shop today. The strop seems to be in pretty good shape still. Has anyone been able to oil one up and use it or is it best to just use it as a pattern to make a new one and leave it as it is? Also is the bow for the strop supposed to be glued to the bottom of the case it seem stuck pretty hard by something?

Attachments

• $DSCF8871.jpg
    $DSCF8871.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 81
Auto-Strop strops can be reconditioned with Lubriderm (skin cream). Apply a generous coating to both sides, hang it vertically overnight and then wipe off any excess. If the strop doesn't hang straight, repeat. I've brought back some strops that were severely dried out in this manner.

Optionally, you can then paint the business side of the strop with .1 micron iron oxide (FeOx) mixed in mineral oil.

Works great on my Auto-Strops.

--Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll have to pick up some Lubriderm and give it a shot. I have chromium oxide would that work?

Going to throw Bayamontate's freshly honed blade into it and give it a shot in the morning. My little Cumberland travel has no adjustability and it was not a smooth shave. Little screws on this one can be turned with fingernails to adjust blade position and there a scored lines (see pic) for normal blade position. I dry shaved a bit of hair off my arm and it felt very smooth.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I never Thought that I would get into SEs, I like Vintage stuff and This is one of six that just came
I changed the Handle to a Stainless Steel Barber Pole from RR. I wish I could Shave again Today:w00t:
$IMG_4741.jpg$IMG_4743.jpg$IMG_4745.jpg$IMG_4746.jpg$IMG_4747.jpg

Six? I thought you only bought four, Steve. I have seen the set screw trick in other threads, what size is it? Thanks, Jeff

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Six? I thought you only bought four, Steve. I have seen the set screw trick in other threads, what size is it? Thanks, Jeff

I used a 10/32 Stainless screw and cut it to size ,I could not find set screws when I was looking.
The handle I made for you I had it laying around, it was cracked and I added some weight and filled it with marine epoxy
The screw is not glued in just in case you don't like it . It shave really nice with the longer handle ,but it also shaves great with the stock handle too
View attachment 657542View attachment 657543

Top Bottom