What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Oh, I thought I was close a number of times but spot some little variation or oddity in the ones I have an the hunt is on again ...

You mention the Featherweight - it comes with two top-cap styles, you know: one larger, like the heavy flat top and one slimmed down ... just to keep you hunting :lol:

Don't get me started on 1914 and 1924 variations, what with the attached spring clip, solid blade clips, pillar base, square tooth, round tooth, Co. Inc, Corp., earlier, later, stropper handles ... aaargh! Will it never stop? :cursing:

The Stoll/Hero is an excellent razor it is a very mild smooth shaving razor. I have an original Stoll SE blade, it is both thicker and more rigid then a modern SE blade. The Stoll blade fits a bit too tightly into the Stoll razor.

I find a modern SE razor blade to be easier to install into the Stoll. Also, the Stoll came with a strop attachment (my Stoll is pictured below) that was inserted into the bottom of the handle.

View attachment 525508
View attachment 525510

LOL, I know...those Stoll blades are very, very thick. I had some trouble fitting modern blades into my Star Super Six when I first got it, so I tried to de-spine one of the old blades that came with it (Stoll Chrome Steel). The technique that works with modern blades didn't work at all on the Stoll blades, as the spine is so thick that the blade broke before the spine would release at all. I think these were probably some of the nicest, sharpest blades back in the day though, as they seemed much nicer that a lot of the other blades from that era. Glad to see someone else appreciates the Stoll!

I really do have to quit trolling the Bay. I jsut picked up a Schick Grip and an Easyrider. Photos to come when they arrive.

LOL, I know...those Stoll blades are very, very thick. I had some trouble fitting modern blades into my Star Super Six when I first got it, so I tried to de-spine one of the old blades that came with it (Stoll Chrome Steel). The technique that works with modern blades didn't work at all on the Stoll blades, as the spine is so thick that the blade broke before the spine would release at all. I think these were probably some of the nicest, sharpest blades back in the day though, as they seemed much nicer that a lot of the other blades from that era. Glad to see someone else appreciates the Stoll!

Yikes, I didn't know that the Stoll blades would be break if you tried to remove the spines. The Stoll blade is super sharp indeed, you can tell it's a high quality blade. I stored my Stoll blades away just to collect, it's not easy to run across Stoll blades for sure. I had a chance to score a Hero LC for $9 but I passed it up, now I am kicking myself for it. It looks like the Hero would weigh more due to the handle compared to the Stoll's hollow handle.

Yes, the Stoll (like the Hero) are very good shavers! The strop attachment on my Stoll accommodates a wedge blade and not a modern SE blade. It seems as if though strop attachment was intended to be used for wedge blades, even though the Stoll doesn't use wedge blades.

Yikes, I didn't know that the Stoll blades would be break if you tried to remove the spines. The Stoll blade is super sharp indeed, you can tell it's a high quality blade. I stored my Stoll blades away just to collect, it's not easy to run across Stoll blades for sure. I had a chance to score a Hero LC for $9 but I passed it up, now I am kicking myself for it. It looks like the Hero would weigh more due to the handle compared to the Stoll's hollow handle.

Yes, the Stoll (like the Hero) are very good shavers! The strop attachment on my Stoll accommodates a wedge blade and not a modern SE blade. It seems as if though strop attachment was intended to be used for wedge blades, even though the Stoll doesn't use wedge blades.

Yes, the Hero is heavier as the handle is solid and the razor is made of steel rather than brass. It also has noticeably more blade gap than the Stoll (which has very little).
That is strange about the stropping attachment. I don't see how you could possibly use a wedge with these razors :tongue_sm so it doesn't make sense. Perhaps you got a mismatched set or something. I constantly see Gillettes in Gem cases and such. Your Stoll looks to be in beautiful shape!

I was having a tough time finding a Valet VC3. The few that I did find appeared not to accommodate a Feather SE razor blade. The Valet box is in fair to good condition it reads "Prosperity Special." There are 3 wrapped Valet blades in one blade box. The strop is in good condition. The VC3 razor is in very good condition. I was lucky and I scored the whole set for $5.

$14y7b85.jpg

I just got this uncommon Rea (Unsinger) safety razor. This is another variant of the Curbo, Majestic, Hodes and Adelene 1909 razor. It came with the case one original blade and the original instruction slip.

$ReaRazor 2b.jpg

It does take proprietary blades but I have been able to mod a modern blade. For a total of $6 with shipping this was a steal. Ironically, it cost $1 less then my Adelene 1909 which did not include a case.

$ReaRazor X.jpg

Ooh! Pretty ... and shiny! :thumbup:

Shame about the blades, tho'. Is there nothing we can get to fit? Perhaps a smaller blade, maybe an injector, that could be sandwiched up front and held in place by pressure? This was a neat solution for my Kriss Kross.

Meanwhile over here in Blighty, I bagged one I've been after for a while ... especially since I'm quite a Weck-head!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Paul, I made a make shift piece (best way to describe it) that allows injector blades to fit. In time I will give more details with a long review about the Rea (Unsinger). Though this is not always the case, my attitude is if a modern SE blade doesn't fit it's time for an injector blade.

Nice little Weck Paul, you are totally Wecked out! I've never used a Weck due to the blade issue but I'm sure you know how to get it shaving!

The blade issue?

Ha! Yes, 10 folding Wecks, this T Weck, two Japanese "ejectors" and a Personna.

Great that you got that lovely razor fired up with a shim. Those little injector blades do come in handy, eh?

The blade issue?

Great that you got that lovely razor fired up with a shim. Those little injector blades do come in handy, eh?

Oh, I meant that I don't know what type of blade accommodates the Weck. I don't own one so I have never looked into it, it looks like it will take a Durham type blade?

Ah, I see ... well, let me enlighten you ...

proxy.php

I'm just experimenting with some Feathers, but I think they're too thin. Anyway, those Personna blades fit the bill just right, give a good shave akin to a 009RD Treet and last probably the same number of shaves.

Just had one myself a few minutes ago and feeling smooth ... old-fashioned smooth ... which, naturally, is better :thumbup1:

Two passes, both WTG with a slight diagonal. Super!

Happy hunting, chaps.

I love Christmas-eve UPS deliveries...

$DSC_0503a.jpg

5x 10-pack Personna Gem blades
1x 7-pack Schick Injector blades
1x NOS Gem G-Bar with cardboard insert, original blades, case and instruction sheet
1x Near-new or NOS Gem G-Bar with case
2x (well) used Schick Injector I2s, one with case

Top Bottom