What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Three of the eight Injectors I have:

$DSC_9413.jpg

Two good finds today at the local flea market: a Gem 1912 and a Gem Micromatic. The 1912 was in great shape; the Micromatic has some issues with the finish but is still in perfect operation. Had to go buy some SE blades so I can try these gems out (pun fully intended) :)
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393728197.794449.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393728209.515150.jpg

I noticed that the tabs that position the razor blade in the front have been filed down on the Micromatic yet the blade seems secure enough. I haven't shaved with it yet but I hope it doesn't affect its performance.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393728370.457646.jpg

Two good finds today at the local flea market: a Gem 1912 and a Gem Micromatic. The 1912 was in great shape; the Micromatic has some issues with the finish but is still in perfect operation. Had to go buy some SE blades so I can try these gems out (pun fully intended) :)
View attachment 419383View attachment 419384

I noticed that the tabs that position the razor blade in the front have been filed down on the Micromatic yet the blade seems secure enough. I haven't shaved with it yet but I hope it doesn't affect its performance.

View attachment 419386

Be very, very careful!

Be very, very careful!

Thanks! I've used it once and took my time. It wasn't as close as I like but that's probably because I was a little hesitant to push things. I probably won't use it again but I found a bullet-tip on eBay for $3 that is in good condition just in need of a little cleanup. It should arrive on Monday. :)

Scored a barely used gold Micromatic bullet-tip at the local antique store. It was in the original case with the blade holder and three original blades. Love it!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394326372.287651.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394326384.770498.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394326393.769883.jpg

A "forty-niner" Gem Junior. 49 cents for a gold plated 1912 and five blades. I paid more than that, but still a cool deal.
I assume this to be late production, it lacks the indent on the thumb tab and the handle is not machined very well (lots of striations in the metal).
$fortyniner.jpg

Gem Junior I picked up for 8 dollars at my local antique store.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1394408448111.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1394408448111.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 401
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1394408475553.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1394408475553.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 393
Since I just mailed off my 1912 patent Model C Auto-Strop, I decided to get another one. This one came complete with the boxes, crumpled instructions, and the strop. Unfortunately I already managed to take a sliver out of the strop :blush:. Interestingly this one is silver plated instead of nickled and also more aggressive... the blade sits further forward on the guard than on the one I've sent out for the passaround. Still could not manage a decent shave with the feather carbon steel blade. :thumbdown Looks like I'm going to be despining some Gem blades. :thumbup1:
$autostrop3.jpg

Got it for $26. I`ve seen two places asking near $100 or more for the same set. The two unused blades were a surprise.

Recently acquired two more Auto-Strop razors.
$austropmodb.jpg
A loose VB2 with solder blobs on the handle (?) - pretty much used up - heavy brassing lots of play in the stropping mech. I got it because it came with a couple boxes of NOS blades. Unfortunately this is one which will not work with modern Feather blades because of the horizontal tab in the E.

$autostrophandle.jpg
I also got this VC1 because I thought the crackle flake finish case was cool, and the handle is different from what I've seen on other model C razors. Shaves the same as the rest of them of course. This one came with one early "solid" valet blade still in the wrapper, but I'm going to leave it in there.

Top Bottom