What's new

Gillette pamper today.

Just getting over the flu and had a couple of days growth so I really needed a shave. Thought I'd pamper myself so I looked at all my razors and decided to try my Gillette SS that I haven't used in ages. Had to actually dust it off (shame on me). So, washed my face with hot water, did a hot water towel soak for a couple of minutes and got ready to go. I loaded the SS with a new Gillette 7 O'clock Black. Soaked my Semoque 1305 for a couple of minutes while I was hot toweling my face. Loaded my brush with RazoRock Fresco and face lathered. Got a nice lather going and went to down. Actually did the full 3 pass shave today (treating myself and no hurry). I forgot just how well the Gillette SS shaves. Its amazing how well it took down the whiskers with no irritation. Actually, did get a little irritation as I got "clumsy" blade buffing around my adamsapple and got a few little red scrapes but just a couple. After just a little touching up I ended up with a BBS (wasn't trying for one and didn't expect one..). WOW - I really love my Open Comb razors but this old SS did a wonderful job. Mild, clean, efficient and pretty much the standard that all other razors are compared to, I.E. more aggressive than an SS, Milder than an SS etc..
I sure wish Gillette would re-introduce these razors. Maybe if we started and email campaign or something to let them know that people are interested..... Hmmmmmmm
Anyway, got a great shave, will be re-introducing the SS into my rotation, and glad I decided to pamper myself.

Just getting over the flu and had a couple of days growth so I really needed a shave. Thought I'd pamper myself so I looked at all my razors and decided to try my Gillette SS that I haven't used in ages. Had to actually dust it off (shame on me). So, washed my face with hot water, did a hot water towel soak for a couple of minutes and got ready to go. I loaded the SS with a new Gillette 7 O'clock Black. Soaked my Semoque 1305 for a couple of minutes while I was hot toweling my face. Loaded my brush with RazoRock Fresco and face lathered. Got a nice lather going and went to down. Actually did the full 3 pass shave today (treating myself and no hurry). I forgot just how well the Gillette SS shaves. Its amazing how well it took down the whiskers with no irritation. Actually, did get a little irritation as I got "clumsy" blade buffing around my adamsapple and got a few little red scrapes but just a couple. After just a little touching up I ended up with a BBS (wasn't trying for one and didn't expect one..). WOW - I really love my Open Comb razors but this old SS did a wonderful job. Mild, clean, efficient and pretty much the standard that all other razors are compared to, I.E. more aggressive than an SS, Milder than an SS etc..
I sure wish Gillette would re-introduce these razors. Maybe if we started and email campaign or something to let them know that people are interested..... Hmmmmmmm
Anyway, got a great shave, will be re-introducing the SS into my rotation, and glad I decided to pamper myself.
This is good to know! I just ordered a '51 SS off ebay that should be here Wednesday. I have a slim that I used this morning with a new Kai blade and some Speick. It was wonderful. I hope the SS is at least as comfortable as that Slim. Feel better!

That's great. I started with an EJ89, but got hooked on collecting vintage Gillettes and find they give me better shaves than the EJ.

I also enjoy shaving more when I have a two or three day growth. Going from gruff to smooth is especially rewarding. I need to find a couple of good quality vintage Gillettes.

Top Bottom