What's new

Norton 1k v Chosera 1k

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have been contemplating replacing my Norton 1k. The Chosera 1k is what I am thinking of.
Is the Chosera going to be better than the Norton for the bevel setting or is it just too similar to be worth the extra money?

I recently did the same thing and its a much better stone. Cuts faster cleaner scratches, doesnt dish and is splash and hone vs soaking. No comparison IMO. chosera 1k is well worth it.

Nothing to add to Buca's comments above - except that I totally agree.

I've had several different 1k-ish stones - I prefer the 1k C over all of them.

Chosera is hands down the best bevel setter I've used. It may not be the fastest cutter so I have a DMT plate setup if I need to move metal, but I always ALWAYS hit the Chosera afterwards. It just gives the best edge, period, for this grit.

One may argue that a coti sets a better bevel, but it is a natural stone and not quite comparable. Plus it takes longer.

Another endorsement for the chosera here. While it is "splash and go", personally I find a better feel by letting water drizzle on it for s few minutes prior to use (not a full soak). Ymmv, try both ways.

I have had the Norton 1k, King 1k, Naniwa SS 1k, and the Chosera blows all of them out of the water IMHO....It has the best speed & feel out of all of them I think...

I have the 800, but it's a great stone. You read so many comments in praise of these Chosera stones, but they really are justified. I use mine all the time. Razors and tools.

Is it the whole range that gets praise or more the 1k ?

You read a lot of comments here, in particular, about the 1k because it's considered one of the best bevel setting stones by many people... but there is plenty of love for the whole range. I use the 800 because it's a touch faster. Some people like the 10k as a finisher, etc...

*edit* Some people don't like the green slurry from the Chosera 1k, but if you have ever used a red King 1k, it is no comparison. The King is a slimy, oozing mess.

Yea, I do like the Chosera 1k much better than the Norton and a little better than the Super Stone. It is smoother than a Norton and the Super Stone feels muddy. The Chosera gives me the best combination of feedback and cutting speed.

I too like to soak my 1k for just a few minutes and flood with water with ¼ dish soap in a squirt bottle, I like Dawn is it a little slicker and seems to keep the stone from loading up with swarf as quickly. I hone on a bridge so excess water is not an issue.

There is something to having a back-up stone like, Brooksie and I may buy another next time I order stones, if for no other reason as a hedge against inflation I bought mine a while ago and doubt they will be getting any cheaper and you never know when they will change the formula or just stop making them.

I have a King 10K that I bought many years ago and I cannot find them anymore. For many years it was my pre finisher and is an excellent stone, very similar in performance to the12K Super Stone, the 12k just a tad better but the 10k is thick.

I have been toying with a JNS 1k, but find it hard to believe it will be better than the Chosera. That is what I thought when I bought the Super Stone... I was right.

The Chosera is my go to 1K, the Norton is a knife stone now and does a good job at that..

I have been toying with a JNS 1k, but find it hard to believe it will be better than the Chosera. [/QUOTE]

I too have been curious as to how the JNS 1k stacks up against the Chosera & have been wanting to try one myself. I hear that the JNS 1k is slower though..is that correct?

I love the 1k C been using it these last thew days or so..the thing I like about? is the scratch pattern it leaves , if I remember rightly the 4k Norton leaves more aggressive scracth pattern than my 1k C. the 1k c feels smoother when in action than the Norton 4k.. after 1k c I use coticule and I get great success rate .

I have been toying with a JNS 1k, but find it hard to believe it will be better than the Chosera. [/QUOTE]

I too have been curious as to how the JNS 1k stacks up against the Chosera & have been wanting to try one myself. I hear that the JNS 1k is slower though..is that correct?

I used to have that JNS 1k... I sold it and I wish I still had it. It's a great stone too. Feels harder and a bit more feedback than the Chosera. Pretty fast. Less likely to dish (although neither dishes much). I think if you had both and tested them back to back you would find them comparable.

Top Bottom