What's new

Tell us about your espresso machine

Tamping and grind go hand in hand. Most in Europe grind finer and tamp lighter but here in the US there is the tendency to grind coarser and tamp heavier.

Though your tamp will not effect your pull as much as the grind it WILL effect it some.

Developing a consistent pressure and adjusting the grind is the best way to start off. That way you are only changing one variable (grind), not both (grind and pressure).

There are "click" when tamped tampers They click like a torque wrench when the proper tamp pressure is reached. I've used one for years and rarely reach for my non click tamper any more.

This is just one calibrated tamper, there are others out there too.

http://espro.ca/tamper/

Started with a Jura super-automatic and had one problem after another. Especially using the bypass for decaf Passed it on to my daughter who has been happy and less demanding.
Then went with Gaggia Platinums and have been very happy. We use one machine for regular one for decaf. Are we nutz? You bet. Super automatics allow SWMBO to make herself espresso whenever she wants. We only drink espresso at home. Even if a "drink" means 4-6 shots. My morning drink is 6-8 shots of espresso with hot milk.

1. Is my grind correct? Seems to be too coarse on notch 2, too fine on notch 1 with my Hario Skerton.
You have identified the most significant issue. Which is you need a stepless grinder or a stepped one with many levels of adjustment. A grinder with only a couple of levels of adjustment at finer end will not work unless you get incredibly lucky that it lands on just the right setting (not likely).

Started with a Jura super-automatic and had one problem after another. Especially using the bypass for decaf Passed it on to my daughter who has been happy and less demanding.
Then went with Gaggia Platinums and have been very happy. We use one machine for regular one for decaf. Are we nutz? You bet. Super automatics allow SWMBO to make herself espresso whenever she wants. We only drink espresso at home. Even if a "drink" means 4-6 shots. My morning drink is 6-8 shots of espresso with hot milk.

That's not a ton of caffeine?

Using a Jura here. First machine and debated for a long time. Love it and haven't had one problem with it after a couple years of heavy use

This arrived on Wednesday:

$photo-2.jpg

It's a Pre-Millenium La Pavoni Europiccolo. I've pulled at least 20 shots out of it since then (about 16 of which went right down the sink) trying to learn the machine and realize that this is going to take a long, long time. That's ok. It's all about the journey.

I love the completely manual nature of the machine. It's like the straight razor of the espresso world.

View attachment 550570

It's a Pre-Millenium La Pavoni Europiccolo. I've pulled at least 20 shots out of it since then (about 16 of which went right down the sink) trying to learn the machine and realize that this is going to take a long, long time. That's ok. It's all about the journey.

I love the completely manual nature of the machine. It's like the straight razor of the espresso world.

Nice!!! Looks like great condition

That's a nice looking machine there, Mark. I'm sure it has some splendid espresso in store for you. Good luck learning to play your new instrument.

That's a nice looking machine there, Mark. I'm sure it has some splendid espresso in store for you. Good luck learning to play your new instrument.

Thanks to you and your advice, I'm finally pulling a half decent shot. The last was splendid.

Nice!!! Looks like great condition

All I need is 5 mins notice next time you're passing through Jon and I can whip up a 'spro for you.

View attachment 550570

Yea... I am still trying to convince SWMBO that we NEED a lever machine....

Wow.
Lot of straight razors are coffee lovers too I see.
Well I'm one of them..
My espressomachine.

Izzo Pompei lever machine.
Had it for over two years now and makes real good coffee.

Wow.
Lot of straight razors are coffee lovers too I see.
Well I'm one of them..
My espressomachine.

Izzo Pompei lever machine.
Had it for over two years now and makes real good coffee.

Awesome machine. I was about to purchase a Pompei when the Alex Leva was announced. I've had my Alex Leva now for almost a year. I agree, they make really good coffee.

Picture of an early espresso machine. I do not know (or pretend to remember) the particulars of this machine but it looks like an early boiler with dual dispersion heads that did not produce 9 ATM of pressure that is expected from modern machines, but it is part of the history and evolution of making espresso. Based on comments posted here, it was part of some equipment used to start up a 1930's Honduras coffee shop.

proxy.php

I've got a bunch of stuff for cold brew and pour over coffee...never thought I'd want to do espressos. But my workplace now has a Slayer espresso machine for us to use (required of us in order to be a distributor) and it's been fun pulling shots with it. So down the rabbit hole I go...

I've got a bunch of stuff for cold brew and pour over coffee...never thought I'd want to do espressos. But my workplace now has a Slayer espresso machine for us to use (required of us in order to be a distributor) and it's been fun pulling shots with it. So down the rabbit hole I go...

Can we get a pic of the slayer? Those are hot machines.

Care to distribute one of those Slayers to my house in Austin, TX?

Can we get a pic of the slayer? Those are hot machines.
$20150408_083318.jpg

**Edit-- not sure why the image is upside down.

Sent a team off to SCAA...think in a made scramble they snagged some tubing we needed to run this puppy in office, so no fun at work today pulling shots!

Fun and easy machine to use though...even as a noobie, I can pull a decent shot. Granted, I didn't have to spend the time dialing it in.

Top Bottom