What's new

Tell us about your espresso machine

My wife is out of town, so the kitchen became an espresso chemistry lab. Worked on grind size, tamping, and pulling shots with a regular and naked portafilter. Also, worked on milk frothing skills, had an occasion or two where I felt it actually looked somewhat correct. Finished off with a nice cup of coffee while sitting on the porch. It has cooled off a bit here in Fla. It was super relaxing as it was a batch I'd roasted of Ethiopian a few days ago. It was definitely at it's sweet spot. Fun afternoon working on my barista skills. They'll get much improved after a CounterCulture all-day espresso class in ATL next week. I'm really enjoying plunging into this coffee hobby/obsession/tastiness.

Post some photos....

Did you get the platinum vision?

Have you tried all of the settings on it yet?

I'll try and get some photos tonight. Yeah I got the Platinum, I have tried most settings that I could figure out from the manual. Still waiting on some Cappuccino and latte Cups to really get into it (only got 2 Espresso shot glasses).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I can't compete with you guys. Mine is just a cheap Krups espresso machine given to me as a wedding present 25 plus years ago. But hey, it still works. :thumbup:

I used one of these old Krups espresso makers for years. Made a very decent cup of coffee/espresso. Didn't really get hot enough or build enough pressure for a great espresso but it made some really nice coffee :001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice looking machine. I did order espresso cups and I've got latte and cappuccino cups on the way. I'm enjoying my machine thoroughly thus far. I made myself an Americano tonight and it was really fantastic. There's such satisfaction in operating my new machine and making such great coffee drinks.

Cheers for your new machine. I'm enjoying the added postings to The Cafe. Seems more folks are getting involved in home coffee. Which is great.

National Coffee Day is Sunday- so enjoy!!

Everyday is Coffee Day at my house.

Cheers

I'll try and get some photos tonight. Yeah I got the Platinum, I have tried most settings that I could figure out from the manual. Still waiting on some Cappuccino and latte Cups to really get into it (only got 2 Espresso shot glasses).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Quick question - how thick are those vivace expresso cups? Are they the ones made by Togn?ana

Absolutely brilliant post, and it answers pretty much any question I could ever have about espresso machines. Thanks!

I use a Nespresso Latissima. These are really popular in EU. It's a no fuss machine for tired old men like me.

I use a Nespresso Latissima. These are really popular in EU. It's a no fuss machine for tired old men like me.

I visited my sister not too long ago in Arizona and she had a Kreuig. I can say I was impressed. A few weeks ago I had a "complimentary" Nespresso double shot at a local shop where I get my Chemex filters. Another impressive espresso from that system.

If I did not already have all of this "paraphernalia" sitting on the counters here I would be tempted with either of those options in a pench

Oh man I never should have come in here. FWIW, I'm using a capresso 4-shot machine and looking to upgrade. Can anybody comment on the Gaggia Classic? If it's true that the brewer is more important than the manufacturer, I'm totally willing to learn how to properly use the machine and figure out the science behind a good cup of espresso, but I don't want to break the bank (sub-$500 being a reasonable price range).

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Gaggia Classic a few months ago and it's a superb little machine at a great price. I spent pleny of time online researching and I love the fact that the Gaggia Classic is easy to use and parts are abundant to fix/replace.

A simple mod and I was able to check and adjust the standard PSI too. Luckily I got a deal which included a Gaggia MDF grinder which is also great quality.

I can make a great espresso with lovely crema but need to practice on my milk foaming. (I've switched out the standard black plastic "Magic Wand" to a Rancilio Silvia Steam Wand)

Oh man I never should have come in here. FWIW, I'm using a capresso 4-shot machine and looking to upgrade. Can anybody comment on the Gaggia Classic? If it's true that the brewer is more important than the manufacturer, I'm totally willing to learn how to properly use the machine and figure out the science behind a good cup of espresso, but I don't want to break the bank (sub-$500 being a reasonable price range).

Thanks in advance.

~~~A PID'd Gaggia Classic was my first *real* espresso machine. Bought this one here-

proxy.php

for $500 back in April 2008. Notice the PID is mounted externally (upper left) on the outside of the machine. Also note the Sylvia steam wand mod. I bought the machine as is with the PID and the Sylvia steam wand already installed. I used it for approx. 12 months before moving to one of Salvatore's HX machines, a One Black while he was still making them. they're out of production now-

proxy.php

As for the Gaggia Classic....is it a good espresso machine?, does it make good espresso? The answer is yes and yes. It has a few short comings but as far as how well ogf a shot will it pull...IMNSHO, you will never be disappointed with the quality of espresso it makes, so long as you install an after market PID or buy one already modded

The reason for PID is this- PID is an acronym for proportional, inverse, derivative (going from memory=:) It's an HVAC control device that measures temperature from three waypoints at around less than a second gathering all three temps. After installing a PID you will be able to pinpoint your strike water temp to the degree you have it set for via the LED readout. Changing water temp is as simple as pushing the control button to whatever temp you want to use

the main problem with an oem Gaggia Classic is the temp stat which will vary wildly at around 40 degrees Fahrenheit or so. You'll read where owners of this machine that have not installed a PID controller will use a process known as temp surfing to address the temperature short comings

to pull a good shot of espresso on any espresso machine you want the temperature of the strike water between 193 to 203 degress f (approx.) Actually, any coffee brewing priocess, those are the target water temps. Strike water less than 193 degrees f and your shot will taste sour. Over 203 degrees f and the shot will taste bitter. Again, with the oem temp stat on the Gaggia Classic, it's a hit and miss propostion. Learn to temp surf or install PID. I'd go with the latter myself and did, was very satisfied with the shots

other Gaggia Classic shortcomings?...the valve for steam is all metal construction so when you turn it to close it's metal against metal and will eventually leak (drip, drip, drip). Why did Gaggia choose to use this type of valve? Cost savings. Better valves use rubber replacable gaskets and cost more to manufacture. it's more of an annoyance than a deal killer and that said, I believe some have figured out a mod

Being a single boiler that only holds 4 ounces of water is a blessing and a curse at the same time. The advantage is the water will get up to temp quickly as the two external heaters (700 watts each?) do this job nicely, and with no corrosion to the elements. the downside is if you like to make milk based coffee drinks you fill the boiler with water (semi-automatically with the flip of a switch), pull your shot, then you have to re-fill the boiler, switch so that the boiler will heat at higher temps in order to create steam. this may not seem like a big deal to some, and if you like to drink straight shots, no biggie but if you drink caps (cappuccinos) like I'm wanton to do, I never cared for letting my shot cool while frothing/steaming my milk

If you buy one of these espresso makers, join this yahoo group-

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Gaggia/conversations/topics

I think that url will take you there, if not, do a search for Gaggia Users Group: semi-auto only ...it's a yahoo group. Robert (Tex) Harmon started this group and was very active in it up until this past April. Tex will forget more about this machine than most will ever know, in fact, I bought my Gaggia Classic from Tex. he personally did the mods then sent it my way. I'm told Tex has been experiencing problems with his hands and is unable to type. The group still soldiers on w/o him however and you will find a lot of knowledgeable people that contribute to the forum

If you're handy and like to tinker, consider buying a Gaggia Classic from ebay for little dinero and install the PID mod yourself. Often times you'll find used Gaggia machines for very good prices. These machines are given as gifts and when they stop working, they'll go up for sale. usually the fix is simple and certainly not expensive

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I have a Quick Mill Vetrano which I love especially after two simple mods.
I added the Joysticks for steam and hot water and now operation is is as quick as flipping a light switch which helps since the milk and shots are about done at the about the same time and I have some nerve damage in my right hand which has been flaring up lately.
The second mod and most important was the addition of an Erics Thermometer kit for the E-61 Grouphead which helps me nail shots temps to about 202ºf for every shot. Without it and guessing by time and water dance I was all over the place and either too cold a pull or usually much too hot.

$IMG_8876.jpg

Top Bottom