What's new

Tell us about your espresso machine

The new Andreja Premium is in place!

$IMG_5955web.jpg

My first and current maker is a Semi-Auto DeLonghi EC220. I get a good grind from a Burr that Costco has just sold out of on-line.... Capresso Infinity 565.04. For under $90 it turned out to be of tremendous quality and super quiet. The little DeLonghi provides a perfect pull with a beautiful head of crema. The cheap frother with plastic tip does a credible job of preparing milk (without a pack of large different sized bubbles on the top). I should be happy with my setup but I bought a cheap machine to see what I could learn while I researched the upgrade that I would want to live with for a few years. Every time I pull a shot I want to look in the mirror and ask myself why I want to spend the additional money. The decision was firm in the first place and now after lots and lots of reading I have narrowed the choice down to the Gaggia Classic or the Rancillio Silvia V3. Not sure I want to invest the extra $300 so it may boil or steam down to the Gaggia. I'm not worried about Frothing and Tamping techniques and I am pretty confident the grinder will meet the proper particle size to give a perfectly timed shot. Already have ordered a Motto Professional 58mm Tamper which will be the right size regardless of my final pick. For years I've always enjoyed preparing quality coffee from quality beans so this will be a lot of fun.

My first and current maker is a Semi-Auto DeLonghi EC220. I get a good grind from a Burr that Costco has just sold out of on-line.... Capresso Infinity 565.04. For under $90 it turned out to be of tremendous quality and super quiet. The little DeLonghi provides a perfect pull with a beautiful head of crema. The cheap frother with plastic tip does a credible job of preparing milk (without a pack of large different sized bubbles on the top). I should be happy with my setup but I bought a cheap machine to see what I could learn while I researched the upgrade that I would want to live with for a few years. Every time I pull a shot I want to look in the mirror and ask myself why I want to spend the additional money. The decision was firm in the first place and now after lots and lots of reading I have narrowed the choice down to the Gaggia Classic or the Rancillio Silvia V3. Not sure I want to invest the extra $300 so it may boil or steam down to the Gaggia. I'm not worried about Frothing and Tamping techniques and I am pretty confident the grinder will meet the proper particle size to give a perfectly timed shot. Already have ordered a Motto Professional 58mm Tamper which will be the right size regardless of my final pick. For years I've always enjoyed preparing quality coffee from quality beans so this will be a lot of fun.

If you get the Rancilio, or use the standard (non-pressurized) basket on the Gaggia, you will need to upgrade your grinder, so keep that in mind. To me it's a reason to go Gaggia - you can start making espresso on delivery day and then decide if you want to upgrade your gear later.

Also if you do want to go higher end, in the price range of a Silvia is the Crossland CC1 which has a PID that controls the temperature to the degree, which means you don't need to mess with what they call "temperature surfing" on both the Gaggia & Rancilio. It also steams without overheating the entire boiler so you can steam your milk, then make a shot much quicker. I used mine for 3 years and loved it - only swapped when I got the upgrade bug.

I have a Mazzer Mini grinder but I'm waiting for the funds to get my espresso machine.... an Elektra Micro Casa or Semi-automatica!

This arrived on Wednesday:

View attachment 550570

It's a Pre-Millenium La Pavoni Europiccolo. I've pulled at least 20 shots out of it since then (about 16 of which went right down the sink) trying to learn the machine and realize that this is going to take a long, long time. That's ok. It's all about the journey.

I love the completely manual nature of the machine. It's like the straight razor of the espresso world.

My first espresso machine was this one. I got a great lesson in how to pull a shot, and got so I could do it expertly. But the machine kept breaking down in every possible way.

I have a Profi machine a got at Starbucks with a built in grinder. It just keeps chugging along. I have never replaced so much as a gasket on it. It does well.

My first espresso machine was this one. I got a great lesson in how to pull a shot, and got so I could do it expertly. But the machine kept breaking down in every possible way.

I have a Profi machine a got at Starbucks with a built in grinder. It just keeps chugging along. I have never replaced so much as a gasket on it. It does well.

I had some electrical work that needed to be done, but otherwise it's been a workhorse (keeping in mind that I bought it used).It pulls a minimum of 4 shots every day and a max of about 2x that number.

The grinder is an old Pe De Dienes Turkish grinder. It will still grind fine enough for espresso, but it has to be adjusted quite tightly meaning a fair amount of burr rub. But yes, it does compliment the Gaggia nicely! Thanks for the comment.

My first machine was a Cremena. It worked fine but was a pain when people came over for dinner so I upgraded to a Caferex. I then bought a single group LaPavoni pub plumbed in machine from a used restaurant supply. Then I got another for spare parts and pid the heat exchanger. The family was afraid of using it... not sure if they were worried it would break, they would hurt themselves or the coffee would just be sub-par. So I now use a LaMarzocco GS3... the family still doesn't use it much as they claim the coffee is much better when I make it.

Not sure I will need to upgrade, but you never know (going to the SCAA show in Seattle is dangerous)

Ruckin.

So I now use a LaMarzocco GS3

I don't like you very much.

:tongue_sm If I can ever drop bank on a machine like that, I'll be buying a Kees Speedster, but....the GS3 would make a better coffee service machine due to portability, which would be the only confounding factor.

I had some electrical work that needed to be done, but otherwise it's been a workhorse (keeping in mind that I bought it used).It pulls a minimum of 4 shots every day and a max of about 2x that number.

Mark how's that pavoni pulling?

Well, here we go... I picked up a used Via Venezia locally this afternoon.
nice, I looked that up quickly, looks cool. Hope it works well.

And the gs3, ruckin, jealous, I think the shop I go to in Annapolis, ceremony coffee, uses a two group gs3. It's frigging beautiful and every shot tastes delicious..

Top Bottom