What's new

D4 Fatboy replate before/after

Thanks Dave (Onotoman) at Restoredrazors. I'll let the photos do the talking...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yeah I'm very impressed :yesnod:
It shaves very well too! Just had my first with it.
TOBS Avocado & Personna Lab Blue. WTG(3)/XTG(3)/ATG(4) ended in DFS.
I think I'll try all 3 passes on 4 next time or maybe even 5.
Forgot to mention... along with the strip, polish & bright nickel replate, Dave also freed-up the baseplate & painted the numbers & dots. All for £29 inc recorded p&p.

I'm pleased you like the result :)

Guys, you'll notice from the photos that the detailing is intact, I don't believe in buffing razors to death, there really is no need and retaining the original detailing is as important as the overall finish in my book.

You won't like it now - so, I think you shoudl send it to me.....<G>..great pix and great looking razor. He did a nice job. THinking of getting my Old Type Ball End replated. The head is pretty worn down and leaves a brassy smell on my hands when I use it (hate that). but it shaves really nice.

I completely agree. When a razor has had a lot of knurling detail buffed out, regardless of how nice the plating is done, it has been marred. It's nice to see someone who takes a more considered approach.

Those before pictures are U-G-L-Y - where did you get that thing from? Some dump at the bottom of the world or something?

Great job on the restore!

The black ring was actually anodised rather than painted - paint would quickly wear off and to anodise the ring would require a full strip-down of the razor making the whole job cost-prohibitive. This anodised ring is also one of the first items to look shabby (as can be seen in one of the 'before' pictures - anodising is a lot less durable than plating).

One option would be to mask the razor leaving only the ring visible and to spray it with Cerakote - I've yet to try this though.

Another option would be to mask the razor and plate the ring in Black Chrome - it's tight to get in there but I may have a play, this option would look pretty special :)

Can you get the black ring painted correctly after a replate on a Fat Boy? I think that ring really completes the look.

Last edited:
Those before pictures are U-G-L-Y - where did you get that thing from? Some dump at the bottom of the world or something?

Great job on the restore!
It was a BST on here. £30 inc p&p from Oz.
Love the way it shaves @5 with a Personna Lab Blue :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. You gave me an idea. It might be interesting to do the ring and numbers in red or blue. Plate the whole thing in black chrome, and do the numbers and ring in red. Just a thought.

The black ring was actually anodised rather than painted - paint would quickly wear off and to anodise the ring would require a full strip-down of the razor making the whole job cost-prohibitive. This anodised ring is also one of the first items to look shabby (as can be seen in one of the 'before' pictures - anodising is a lot less durable than plating).

One option would be to mask the razor leaving only the ring visible and to spray it with Cerakote - I've yet to try this though.

Another option would be to mask the razor and plate the ring in Black Chrome - it's tight to get in there but I may have a play, this option would look pretty special :)

Top Bottom