Thread: Cadet Razors - I'm blown away.

Images

Default Cadet Razors - anyone try one of these?

I recently bought a Cadet Open Comb razor off a B & B member on the B/S/T at a very reasonable price. (12 bucks) I knew nothing about this brand, I went into this deal blind. All I knew was I liked the way the razor looked and I was dying to try an open comb razor.

Anyways I received the razor today and I am absolutely blown away. For starters, it is heavy! I own several razors and the Cadet is by far the heaviest. I really like that as I prefer heavy razors. The handle is long and the inlay work on the handle is intricate and beautiful. It has an art deco design and creates a confident firm grip when held in the hand - no slippage. The chrome finish is HIGH quality - it reminds me of my Edwin Jagger. It simply shines!

I researched the razor online and they sell for around 20 bucks brand new. The razor I received looks like it has never been used. I am surprised these things sell for so little. The gentleman I bought it off, DaveL, was kind enough to include a pack of Atsra SP blades and another brand I have never heard of but am itching to try out, a Russian brand, Ladas. Yet another example of how awesome the people on this community are. I am totally stoked on this razor and am excited to shave it with it.

Anyone have experience with this brand?

Here is a picture of the razor next to a FB I also picked up on the B/S/T from another really awesome guy, HisDukeness. There's a hilarious story behind the (travellin') Fatboy which I will tell later though lmao.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duo1small.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	369192
    Last edited by Christian_V; 09-18-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Edwin Jagger DE89. Order of Pinaud. B & B Old Fogie. Cult of Arko. B.E.A.S.T.

Images

Hi Christian: I have never tried the Cadet OC razors but I know several B&Bers say it is just as good if not better than a FaTip. You cannot beat that price. Glad that you are enjoying yours.

WARHAWK

Images

Thanks Warhawk! It sure is a beauty. I'll be posting my thoughts later on the shave itself. BTW, the model is Cadet TP-29B. The website that sells them has all sorts of varieties of handles. Some quite elaborate.
    Edwin Jagger DE89. Order of Pinaud. B & B Old Fogie. Cult of Arko. B.E.A.S.T.

Handle (and the entire razor ) is gorgeous.
    VDHS

Looks like a good deal for that kind of price.

I also bought one on BST for very little money. It is smooth and aggressive. An amazing razor for such a low price. I understand it is plated pot metal, so don't drop it or anything.
    Gillette NEW Über-fan (GNÜ) ~ BOTOC ~ Shower Shaver

I am not a huge fan of the Cadet I bought. Don't get me wrong, it's a good razor and for the price, really well built. I find it too aggressive. That's right, too aggressive is like too mild (well, too mild is better IMO). Anyways. Compared to the Fatip, yes, the Cadet is better built. The handle on the Cadet is quite nice and is inter-changeable with a Gillette head.
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

I like mine. I liked it well enough to trade away my Merkur 11C. At some point I may try a Gillette OC razor but for those times I skip shaving a few days the Cadet is perfect for whacking down the unruly growth.
    Weber PH w/B'dog * EJ DE89L * Merkur 37C * Cadet OC * 65 Slim * TV Special * 54 Rocket HD

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    I am not a huge fan of the Cadet I bought. Don't get me wrong, it's a good razor and for the price, really well built. I find it too aggressive. That's right, too aggressive is like too mild (well, too mild is better IMO). Anyways. Compared to the Fatip, yes, the Cadet is better built. The handle on the Cadet is quite nice and is inter-changeable with a Gillette head.
    Which Cadet do you have and did you try it with a Gillette New? I have a TP-02S on the way and hope to put the handle on a Gillette New head is why I ask.
    -Proud GNÜ (Gillette NEW Über-fan) Member, LOSER & BOTOC, AV Club-

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar101 View Post
    Which Cadet do you have and did you try it with a Gillette New? I have a TP-02S on the way and hope to put the handle on a Gillette New head is why I ask.
    Tried with a Gillette NEW (which handle and which head)?

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Tried with a Gillette NEW (which handle and which head)?
    The Cadet TP-02S its like the TP-01 but in pewter and chrome I want to put the handle on a Gillette New Short Comb head, it has the little indent between the grooves. Hope this helps.
    -Proud GNÜ (Gillette NEW Über-fan) Member, LOSER & BOTOC, AV Club-

Images

I'm currently using the Mongoose now, it is a regular in my rotation. Yes it is heavy but very well balanced. I really enjoy the shaves I get from it.

Will have to look into the open comb models.
    Brad, Steward General Shaving, Knight of the Veg Table, OGA, B.O.T.C., Old Foggies Club, Stirling Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar101 View Post
    The Cadet TP-02S its like the TP-01 but in pewter and chrome I want to put the handle on a Gillette New Short Comb head, it has the little indent between the grooves. Hope this helps.
    TP-01 would be the one.

I have the TTO, OC and 3 pieces offerings from Cadet. I really like all three. Excellent for the price and nice to add to the collection.
    -Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?-

Michael