What's new

First Razor advice?

Hi! I am planning to get my boyfriend a nice shaving set for christmas this year, and I have decided to get him this set of bowl, brush, soap, and stand from amazon, since it seems like a good 'beginner' set, decent quality at a good price. I was wanting to get him a safety razor to go with it, but I don't have any idea what would be best. I know that he's never used a safety razor before, he has a very light, sparse, patchy sort of beard and sensitive skin. I guess I am just looking for a good beginner razor that's not very expensive... I'm not totally sure if he will like shaving this way, so I figure I don't really want to spend close to a hundred bucks on something he may not use, and I can always get him a more expensive upgrade for next christmas or birthday if he does end up using this a lot. Any advice or input is much appreciated!

check out italianbarber. they have some killer kits. I'd go with a a merkur HD razor. most guys should. good luck.

Last edited:
check out italianbarber. they have some killer kits. I'd go with a a merkur HD razor. most guys should. good luck.

also, check out lees razors. he has a great beginner brush for 28$. slammin deal. It's so good I use it for travel.

I'd get a nice vintage razor - a fat handled Gillette Tech can be very cheap, shave very well, and is very forgiving while he learns how to shave with a safety razor. Plus, they are just plain cool. My 2 cents!

Blades - you could get a sampler pack, or just a 5 pack of Astra blades (shave well in most razors for most people).

Welcome to B&B, and good luck!

The Van der Hagen set looks nice and at a good price point. For a gift, I think it's nice to get new things and later if he likes the shaving thing he might look into vintage razors etc.

Something like the Merkur 23C is a good starter and not that expensive.

Try a starter pack from here http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html or as mentioned Astra superior platinum are great blades that tend to agree with most folks, so maybe just a couple of packets of those would be good for starters.

Hi! I am planning to get my boyfriend a nice shaving set for christmas this year, and I have decided to get him this set of bowl, brush, soap, and stand from amazon, since it seems like a good 'beginner' set, decent quality at a good price. I was wanting to get him a safety razor to go with it, but I don't have any idea what would be best. I know that he's never used a safety razor before, he has a very light, sparse, patchy sort of beard and sensitive skin. I guess I am just looking for a good beginner razor that's not very expensive... I'm not totally sure if he will like shaving this way, so I figure I don't really want to spend close to a hundred bucks on something he may not use, and I can always get him a more expensive upgrade for next christmas or birthday if he does end up using this a lot. Any advice or input is much appreciated!

I personally bought that same set, and even though he would be a beginner, I might advise against it, or at least the brush. The mug and the soap are good, I use the mug quite frequently, but I have used the brush as my travel brush a few times. After the few uses I have shaved with it, less than 10 I think, the bristles mounted in the metal ring has started to slip away from the handle and now it works itself out of the handle durng the lather process. He may not have the same issues with it that I did with it, but I'd hate for him to have a bad experience because of the brush and decide not to give it a good shot. I might would go for something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Razor-...d=1379572201&sr=1-9&keywords=safety+shave+set He would get a razor with it as well. Just a thought and another option for you to consider. Also, if you decide on the set you linked to, you could add a Merkur 23c or 33c for around $30 and throw in a pack of blades for around $5. That would be a descent starting razor and its very simple to operate. Hope any of the mad ramblings I said might help. Best of luck and I hope he enjoys whatever you decide on!

Cheers!

For a razor I would suggest (given his beard specs.) the Merkur 33c classic. Mild razor and would be good for him to learn on. I'd stay away from any of the more aggressive razors (for now). Watch some YOUTUBE videos on "wet shaving" for some great advice. Check out "West Coast Shaving" as they have some pretty good deals and prices. A lot of people here like the Edwin Jager razors too. WCS also carries them.

As for blades, hehehe, thats a slippery slope to be sure. A lot of people (me included) really like the Astra SP blades. There are sample packs available from different vendors that would give him a chance to try some different blades to see what works best for him. Everyone face is different.

As for blades, hehehe, thats a slippery slope to be sure. A lot of people (me included) really like the Astra SP blades. There are sample packs available from different vendors that would give him a chance to try some different blades to see what works best for him. Everyone face is different.
This is true, you can find sample packs on Amazon, and almost anywhere, containing 5 packs of 5 or 10 blades each fairly cheap.

I would very much recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89L it was, and is, my first razor and it is excellent.
It doesn't hurt that it also looks like a million bucks. The chrome work is superior to most other current razors made.

Since you're ordering from AMZN you might want to add the Lord L6 to your cart. A nice razor at a very nice price point. And you can pick up a sleeve of Personna double edge blades, too.

I have been using that same set. While some have had issues with the brush, I have not. I think its a great set to get your feet wet. The one from Amazon comes with the badger brush while the one at Target ($20) comes with the boar brush. I have both and while the badger is nicer, the boar is completely serviceable.
The badger from Amazon is on the right
proxy.php

As far as the razor goes, I went with the Edwin Jagger DE89L I caught it on a great sale for $27 shipped. Very, very pleased with it. Top quality for not a lot of money and its a company that really stands behind its products.
Here it is with the VDH set.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Good luck with whatever you chose. I am sure he will be thrilled.

+1 on going vintage. Pretty much any Gillette would fit the bill perfectly as a first razor. If vintage is an option, you should search here on the Shaving Mall- Buy/Sell/Trade forum for a Gillette Tech or Gillette Superspeed. The guys around here are great to deal with, and prices here are hard to beat. You're more likely to get a razor in great condition for a better price here than what you'll find on fleabay, and you're pretty much guaranteed to get exactly what you're expecting.

My two cents would be much similar to others on that a tech or super speed would be great. The dangerous thing however is that many people give many mixed reviews on nearly every razor. I would personally suggest for just a little more $ you go with a super adjustable. It is one of the cheapest adjustable's and then it can allow him to fine tune it to his beard. no matter what I would suggest you go with something of decent quality, vintage or new because should he decide he does not like it the resale is stronger.

I started with a Merkur 180 and the same Van der Hagen set and had no problems, and it was a great into to wet shaving. I still use the mug and the soap is very easy to lather with. Be sure to include blades as the razor will probably only have one with it (I started with Feather--he probably should not). The Edwin Jagger DE89 or Feather Popular are also good razors.

I would not go hunting for a vintage razor on eBay if you can avoid it--the BST forum here is a better bet. A Tech or Super speed would be good.

Don't go freaking out about it like you're gonna mess something up; I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine. Very cool gift idea.

Lord 6 from Amazon. Smooth, comfortable and won't cut him. Astra SP blades about $12 per hundred Amazon. Tweezerman brush $13 Amazon. Cella shave soap, $13 Amazon. just make lather on his face, no bowl needed. This is all very decent gear.

+1 on the Jagger DE89 variant. A gift for a newb should be gleaming shiny as well as a good, mild razor. They're pretty and well priced, and they happen to be excellent razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom