What's new

Superlather?

I noticed this morning that some of my discomfort seems to be lather is a little dry from my VDH soap. Someone here talked about a "superlather" of soap + cream.

Tell me more! Do you do this? Often? What soap + cream? Why do you do it?

I'm intrigued!

joel

The way I look at is this:

It's called "wet" shaving, right?

I started to get better and more comfortable shaves when I started using MORE water in my lathers. Splash that water around! What are you afraid of? Don't hold back!

I should also add that if I'm going to mix two or more products together, I usually use an Uberlather. That is, soap + cream + glycerin.

The basis of either a super or uberlather is to get the best of both worlds - the best qualities of the cream and the soap.

As in virtually everything in shaving, YMMV but the not-so-secret secret is to just try it. Experiment. I have about 6 creams and 8 soaps. I just keep experimenting with each combination until I find one that a) works for my skin and b) smells great.

Last edited:
Yep - as stated - add more water. I have also used KISS-MY-FACE unscented (great product by the way) with my soaps. I just put a pump-squirt on top of the soap and let her rip. Fantastic lather too. Are you soaking your soap with hot water prior to preparing it? I put hot water on mine and let it sit for a couple of minutes to soften/prep the soap, then pour off the water and go to town with the KMF and my brush. I face lather only, so this is just how I prepare the soap to load my brush for face lathering.

Some people think super/uber-lather is cheating. I say that if you use sub-par lather, the only one you are cheating is yourself. If superlather works for you, go with it! Experiment with all your soaps and cream and see what works best. It may surprise you what combos work and smell amazing. Speick stick and Pomegranate-grapefruit KMF sounds strange, but it is amazingly slick and cushiony and the smell is fantastic. Have fun with it!

My usual procedure in the morning is to wash my face with a glycerin soap and then use Proraso green for lather. After reading about the super- and uber-lathers last week, I have been trying out something I stumbled upon a few years ago: soap+glycerin for lather.There is a huge difference, much creamier. And my face feels "tighter" after my shaves, if that makes sense - even while I am experimenting with blades on a new fatip razor, so closeness of shave is varying. What I am doing is not super (soap+cream) and not uber (soap+cream+glycerin) but soap+glycerin produces a different lather and my skin feels the difference. I'm just using some Dial glycerin soap from KMart. Shave on!

"All my soaps and creams"

Still on my first puck of VDH and have one puck of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood "in the hopper" for when this is gone. I don't suffer from any of the shaving related AD's :) (let's not talk about electronic equipment now shall we?)

I don't own any creams at this point. This morning I tried the "Soak your soap" method that Thomas suggested above. I put about a teaspoon of water in my soap while my brush was soaking. WOW. It made a HUGE difference in the lather I got from the VDH. My lather was great this morning but the Personna blue continues to not impress me. On to a new blade for tomorrow!

What cream has the best reputation for lather if I was going to add a squirt?

Joel

I occasionally do this for fun/to use up product/for variety or because I'm feeling like changing things up. Is it necessary? No. Is it fun and allows for more variety with your shaves? Yes. Just something else to spice up the day

At one time I frequently used Uberlather (soap + cream + liquid glycerin) when I bowl lather. However, recently I have been on a kick of face lathering and use only one product most of the time.

Went with Creamo and Arko this morning. got a great shave and excellent lather. very slick, good cushion and smelled good. I have also used Glycerine and it makes a huge difference. I call it a lather enhancer. plus the face feel afterwards is good.

I really only superlather to add something that is missing from the soap I am using...or to use up some mediocre product (very rare). These days, the only superlather combo I use is Godrej Menthol Mist + Stirling Soap Anise. I do this to only add a cooling, menthol effect to my Anise shaves.

I add a bit of cream to all my Col Conks and VDH soaps. It ensures that I get a better shave than I would otherwise with these products.

Cheers

One of my all-time favorite superlathers is MWF with TOBS Grapefruit. Holy moly does that give a fantastic lather and shave!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm sure there are lots of superlather fans here. I have been doing it a lot lately trying to use up a bunch of creams I have. I use Mystic Waters unscented soap and add a snurdle of whatever cream (Irisch Moos, tabac, musgo, DRH Arlington...) I am in the mood for that particular day. I whip it up in a bowl and wow, what great shave cream results!

Im strictly a soap guy but bought some Arko cream tubes ( let me tell you they are amazing for the price despite what some have said about the packaging)

I was thinking of trying an uber lather but was wondering if there are any basic no-nos. For example, mixing a menthol and a fruit or something to that effect. I appreciate the responses.

I use soap, cream, and glycerin daily and will never go back to just using one.

Usually it is VDH luxury scented with unscented KMF or Bigelow with unscented VDH luxury, if that makes any sense at all. I have Mike's soaps, MWF, and even the occasional Williams mug soap. I can get a killer lather with anything using this method.

Ingrowns and irritation are a distant memory. Feathers, a Fatboy and a brush by Semogue and it's shaving nirvana.

Try the TOBS Grapefruit with some Proraso green soap. Awesome lather, scent, and the Pro adds the cool menthol feel.

Penn

Top Bottom