What's new

Old Fogies Club: What was your workout today?

3 sets:
10 lat pulldowns
10 squats w/ 40 lbs
11 pushups
5 pullups
10 deadlifts
10 tricep ext

Then 20 minutes intervals on the elliptical

Still nursing a sore left shoulder and struggling with getting my strength back there.

At 55, I still play on a mens adult hockey league twice a week each followed by an extensive session with the 12oz pucks...lol

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just thought we should have our own workout thread.

Cool, I'm. At least until the mods decide that there's no real need for multiple "what was your workout" threads

Remember- some of the mods are old fogies and their fading eyes may not even notice this thread. Couple that with their general inability to move and it should be safe.

Most of my daily workout these days is comprised of stretching and strengthening a hip flexor tendinitis.
Then I do a little work with dumbbells. Curls and presses. Then some lat pulldowns and a couple pullups
I mix up some cardio with either thirty on the treadmill or go for a bike ride.
I have to be careful not to injure myself trying to exercise lol.. :)

Squats starting at 10 X 30Kg, working up 2Kg at a time to 62Kg/137lb (2 sets of 3, then 3 sets of 4.) (A lot of warm-ups, I know.)

I don't know why I'm so bad at squats. I can do about the same weight doing seated leg extensions on my multigym - it's the max weight setting. But I can do sets of 30 of those and get a great burn going in my legs. But doing squats my legs fail quicker, and no burn at all. :sad:

If I do squats with even lower weight it stresses my overall system long before my legs burn.

Not sure where this will head. Can a 48-year old improve squats much?

3.0 mile walk meandering Downtown spending my children's inheritance on pens, coffee, cookware, and shaving supplies. Thanks B&B members for improving my health and emptying my wallet.

25 pushups.
25 Situps

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Will turn 49 in Oct, so I think I meet the 'old fogie' requirement? Just finished a 2 day tactical rifle class which kept me all day, running and changing different positions, prone, sitting, getting in and out of a vehicle all while manipulating and shooting an 8 pound rifle and loadout vest with several more pounds of ammo, sidearm etc.

I am tired and sunburned, So will rest this Monday, and be back to work on Tuesday and will post my next visit then to the gym in this thread.

Squats starting at 10 X 30Kg, working up 2Kg at a time to 62Kg/137lb (2 sets of 3, then 3 sets of 4.) (A lot of warm-ups, I know.)

I don't know why I'm so bad at squats. I can do about the same weight doing seated leg extensions on my multigym - it's the max weight setting. But I can do sets of 30 of those and get a great burn going in my legs. But doing squats my legs fail quicker, and no burn at all. :sad:

If I do squats with even lower weight it stresses my overall system long before my legs burn.

Not sure where this will head. Can a 48-year old improve squats much?

Congrats on actually doing squats--you're way ahead of the game. They are arguably the most important training movement there is. They are also hard, and, therefore, skipped by most people.

You can absolutely increase your squat at your age. I'm 47 & my goal is to make 405--current recent PR is 340.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe is a great read to learn why & how to train.

If you're a good Googler, you can find some great research on the benefits of squatting--including the increase in bone density as a result of spinal loading. Something of great importance as we get older and potentially more brittle.

I'm 44, but I'm doing my best to keep old age at bay. I recall dinner table discussions of presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan (by then I had moved on to college), I saw Randy Rhodes perform live with Ozzy and Def Leopard's drummer with 2 arms (for those who appreciate a musical era reference), and rember watching Ted Koppel nightly during the Iranian hostage crisis just to put a fine point on my age. So, even though I qualify to be an old fogie based on my years, I'm fighting like hell to make my appearance look as young as the immature voice in my head...

The above said, my goal is to deadlift 515, squat 445, bench 315 and strict press 225 by this time next year. Fogie schmogie...

Last edited:
Congrats on actually doing squats--you're way ahead of the game. They are arguably the most important training movement there is. They are also hard, and, therefore, skipped by most people.

You can absolutely increase your squat at your age. I'm 47 & my goal is to make 405--current recent PR is 340.

If you're a good Googler, you can find some great research on the benefits of squatting--including the increase in bone density as a result of spinal loading. Something of great importance as we get older and potentially more brittle.

This is sound advice. I'm 44 and attended a seminar with Rippetoe last year and I was far from the oldest person attending. Coach Rippetoe does a pretty good job of laying out the foundation for strength training, and if you stumble across his forum you'll read plenty of accounts of trainees who are much older than you who are actually managing the bodily devastation caused by many afflictions by strength training.

I'm 44, but I'm doing my best to keep old age at bay. I recall dinner table discussions of presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan (by then I had moved on to college), I saw Randy Rhodes perform live with Ozzy and Def Leopard's drummer with 2 arms (for those who appreciate a musical era reference), and rember watching Ted Koppel nightly during the Iranian hostage crisis just to put a fine point on my age. So, even though I qualify to be an old fogie based on my years, I'm fighting like hell to make my appearance look as young as the immature voice in my head...

The above said, my goal is to deadlift 515, squat 445, bench 315 and strict press 225 by this time next year. Fogie schmogie...

5/4/3/2 is outstanding in your 40's(or any other time). If Rip ever makes it to Las Vegas, I'm in. He's tried before & couldn't get enough attendees.

I, too have seen the two-armed drummer version of Def Leopard.

I almost saw Black Sabbath on the Black & Blue tour with Ronnie James Dio/Tony Iomi--I don't remember why, but Sabbath didn't show, only BOC.

I couldn't agree more. I feel a good squat workout in my whole body. You can do 405 and more. Keep digging and above all be smart. Most of my setbacks were caused but me being stupid and doing things I shouldn't. As you get older you have to know when to pull back a little and I'm a little stubborn. I'm still making gains at 49 and I have no plans to quit.

I couldn't agree more. I feel a good squat workout in my whole body. You can do 405 and more. Keep digging and above all be smart. Most of my setbacks were caused but me being stupid and doing things I shouldn't. As you get older you have to know when to pull back a little and I'm a little stubborn. I'm still making gains at 49 and I have no plans to quit.

Thanks. I'd be there now if it wasn't for that pesky triple hernia repair last summer(nothing like learning the hard way):thumbup:

Thanks. I'd be there now if it wasn't for that pesky triple hernia repair last summer(nothing like learning the hard way):thumbup:

Triple hernia repair?? Wow, recovery must have been tough. The inevitable injuries that come with age and training is the trickiest part of making gains as we age. Like you I had surgery last year - I had a ruptured pectoral tendon while benching that needed to be surgically re-attached (recovery was no bueno) but persistent effort and rehab are key to a complete recovery. With age comes wisdom and the ability to better listen to one's body for those niggling pains that crop up, which in turn leads to the exam checklist of injury vs good old fashioned strain.

I'm now a year and a few months post surgery and I'm back to making slow gains on the presses and as long as hip pain flare ups an IT band issues are kept at bay, I am confident I'll meet my goals. And it looks like you will be too in short order.

Yup, I'd already downloaded the free Amazon Kindle preview. It's incredibly generous, it includes the whole squat section. (Don't know if this is someone's mistake?)
It's great for learning the right form. It's much more comfortable having the barbell resting on muscle than one of your spinal vertebrae!
I probably need to work on the hip drive thing. One thing I really won't manage is getting my knees as wide as shown in the stretch/demonstration. My anatomy just doesn't work that way, and I have no trouble going low so hopefully that's not an issue. I'll keep working at it.

Top Bottom