What's new

Razor theft by TSA or airline baggage handler (False alarm - they are good people)

So I had to travel to Europe and had a nightmarish stream of missed connections and cancelled flight.
So it took me over 48 hours to go from San Francisco to Amsterdam.
When I finally made it to my hotel and wanted to freshen up, I had the nasty surprise upon opening my shaving travel kit, to find my 2 razors to be gone. A Wapienica and a Thiers-Issard.
I called in to declare the theft but so far no news.
Not sure what the airline will do about it.
Having items stolen from a checked bag feels very violating.
And I loved these 2 razors...

Fortunately a friend I was meeting in Amsterdam was muling a nice Joseph Elliot for me. So I have something to shave with while I am here.
I hope this one won't get stolen on my way back. $Joseph Elliot.jpg

Wow man that is terrible. People can be so inconsiderate. I just don't get it. Hope everything turns out in your favor!

There may be hope. I had a wireless mouse USB connector damaged by TSA when they inspected my checked bag. I made a claim with TSA because it irked me that they were so careless. The replacement was only $25. I just got a letter stating they would be sending me a check to cover the replacement. Granted, it took several months but supposedly the check is in the mail.

Holy cow. They say baggage theft is a real problem, but it still astonishes me. That's a real loss.

Eventually I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling again and now I'm re-thinking what razors to check with my luggage. I've been far too sanguine about this. Let us know what happens.

I would say travel with a gold dollar if you travel with a straight. You can tape a note on its case to those losers with the url to buy a shiny new one of their own for $3 or whatever it is.... The TSA is a disgrace.

I'm sorry to hear it, but I'm not surprised. I think long layovers increase the odds, but if you travel and check your bag this sort of thing eventually happens to you.

Sadly ,it is illegal to travel with a straight,even in checked bags.

Not calling you out on this, but it's the first I've ever heard. If you can have a knife in checked bags, why not a straight? CARRYON is completely different, are you sure that's not what you meant?

I have always thought razor blades cannot be carried by carry on ,but are fine for checked baggage.A straight is an "edged weapon" in a certain sense,but if you say a knife (over 4"blade) is legal for checked bags then maybe a staight is as well.I'm sure the reason for confiscation cannot be argued.I have seen men picking up their hunting rifles at the Kilimanjaro airport,but these are an arranged locked transport,probably at extra cost.I had a couple of metal nail files taken from my checked luggage,I do not think they will see a straight as less of a threat.If you find out for sure,let us know,it's an interesting topic.

I'm pretty sure you can check guns as long as you follow certain rules, so I'm sure a razor is no different. Odds are the handlers saw a blade, were too stupid to know what to do with it, so they tossed it and didn't think twice. Remember these guys are not exactly skilled labor. They do steal, but I don't see razor theft as likely. I've had cash and dvd's stolen in the past.

Wow that's terrible! I hate traveling for this very reason. You expect to have a nice time, not get screwed over at the airport.

According to my TSA app. Straights are completely legal in checked luggage with the proviso that the TSA may prohibit it if they don't want it on the plane...just like anything else.

Straights, knives, and even firearms can be transported in check through luggage. There is a protocol for doing so however

It is always a smart idea to put a small TSA Approved lock on your bag to stop those sticky fingers that some people seem to have. Sorry to hear about your straights getting nicked though, hopefully this story will have a happy conclusion.

Top Bottom