What's new

What to do with a NOS/Mint vintage razor? Use or not?

You just bought a NOS/Mint vintage razor. What do you do with it?

• Crack it open and start shaving. That's what a razor is for!

• Put it on a shelf for display. It's a collector's item!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just won a '50s Tech made in England by 7 O'Clock en eBay. Cost a bit more than I was prepared to pay, but look at that box! All green and shiny!
$7 O Clock Tech 50s.jpg
I bought it to use it, but as the delivery nears I started to think that maybe it's a pity to un-mint it? I'm no collector though, so in that case I have no interest in keeping the razor. What do you guys think? Is a NOS razor still a tool, or is it a collectable rarity?

I've got a NOS Tech of my birth year's quarter and will open it on my 50th birthday to shave with it. This will not yet be this year. I will keep the original package though. Not sure if I would do the same with a NOS double ring though. :001_rolle

With your razor, if not wanting to make a few extra $$$ (not to many, I believe), I just would use it. Also, most "normal" people never ever would use a used razor. :biggrin1:

I acquired a NOS 1915 Pocket edition with original box and instructions that has been in the family since new.

proxy.php

My plan is to use it on its hundredth birthday. I don't care about what it may or may not do to the value as I will never sell it anyway, I will pass it along to the next generation.

If it's an investment - don't use it.
If it's for display or collection - don't use it.

If neither of the above apply, use that razor for what it's been waiting for 60 years.

Dude, shave with it. It's not like you're going to sell it for a small fortune. Use it and enjoy it. Then, let the next generation do the same when you hand it down.

Personally, I intend to use all of the razors I purchase. I would probably avoid paying the extra $$$ for a NOS (unless it wasn't significant) but IMHO, these things were made to be used. That doesn't mean I don't take care of my babies, but I never believed in buying something to sit there and look at, and the value of these isn't really high enough to consider them a serious investment. (Unless we're talking about buying dozens or hundreds, in which case, I'd soon become un-married...)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Display the box if you want but shave with the razor.
that is why you bought it!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Alberto, I understand your dilemma; I have a Gillette New SC NIB complete with paper razor blade "Use only Gillette Blades". And I have a Gillette NEW LC red and black box set that I got from a high end collector who "shaved with it once or twice to make sure it's functional". Yikes! I'm no help at all......

Last edited:
Invoke the 5-minute rule (the shaving equivalent of the 5-second rule for dropped food.)
If the shave lasts less than 5 minutes it doesn't count, so the razor remains NOS.

Keep good care of it, but definately use it.

Very few will appreciate it in your display cabinet. However you will appreciate it greatly each tim e you shave with it.

Dude, shave with it. It's not like you're going to sell it for a small fortune. Use it and enjoy it. Then, let the next generation do the same when you hand it down.
My plan exactly. I like the direction this thread is going :)
Of course I never thought using this razor would be a huge loss of value (not much value to lose here!), it was more from the viewpoint of a historical document so to speak. I guess my question was also meant to gauge the community's opinion on a more general level, not just for this specific piece.
That said, if I ever bought a NOS Rhodium Aristocrat I'd probably be a bit more nervous and use it seldom! But even then we're talking about industrially produced consumer goods, albeit luxury ones.

It's not fair to the razor if you don't use it....start shaving.
The box though, is SWEET! You should build a display in your bathroom around that.

Sell it and buy 5 user grade, replated, or new production razors with the profit (except in the case of it being a family heirloom).

Last edited:
Sell it and buy 5 user grade, replated, or new production razors with the profit (except in the case of it being a family heirloom).
I'll do that when I get my hands on this bad boy at a flea market (there's actually one on eBay right now, already at $100 with one week left. Yikes!)! If I resell this one I can buy at most 3 aluminium Techs with the profits!
I have to say I'm little surprised about how the poll is going: I thought that a enthusiast community like this one would have more collectors and historians. Glad to be between like-minded people :wink2:

Last edited:
Top Bottom