What's new

What to do with a NOS/Mint vintage razor? Use or not?

You just bought a NOS/Mint vintage razor. What do you do with it?

• Crack it open and start shaving. That's what a razor is for!

• Put it on a shelf for display. It's a collector's item!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Use it. Thats what it was made for. Just pretend you went back in time each time you shave with it <G>. Its like my gun collection, I shoot them, thats what they were intended for. Same goes with all my razors (except my Gem Micro - never could get the hang of that darn face ripper). Just enjoy your new toy. Be sure to give us a report on how well it shaves though.....:thumbup:

The only thing that wears by using a razor is the plating and that's very straightforward to rectify when the time comes - which is much better addressed before the engine turning on the handle is worn smooth and the brass has turned green :)

Use it for 40 years, get it re-plated in Rhodium and pass if on as a family heirloom :)

I have neither the space or the patience for collecting. I am a firm believer in using the things that I have so as to give them purpose and meaning once again. Like firearms, razors and other tools are articles of manhood that should be kept in service so as to serve their intended purpose. A NOS razor in the plastic does no good IMO and because these razors were so well made, with regular cleaning and care, they can be passed on to future generations with ease.

YMMV,

Frank

If you have a razor that you consider to be special and want to keep mint, why not just shave with it but take special care not to scratch it by over-zealous cleaning or putting it down roughly on hard surfaces?
I tend to put down a small cloth to rest my razors on anyway. None of them show any sign of wear from my use. All it takes is a little care.

Just how much damage can a face do to metal by daily contact?

Maybe the main risks are cross-threading the screws or over-tightening or leaving it wet. Again - all problems that can be avoided with care. And if you see the item as special you should be willing to take that care.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Alberto, I understand your dilemma; I have a Gillette New SC NIB complete with paper razor blade "Use only Gillette Blades". And I have a Gillette NEW LC red and black box set that I got from a high end collector who "shaved with it once or twice to make sure it's functional". Yikes! I'm no help at all......

I'm not the OP of this thread, but I'm glad Alberto started it. Your collective input has convinced me; what I have is not rare and I take very good care of my stuff. So here it goes, I'm going to enjoy these two razors because of what I've read here.

Look at it this way. You bought it to use it. You're probably not going to see a return on it, unless you got a steal. This is like, me going into home depot and buying a hammer, then considering leaving it in the package because it's shiny.

I have a 1940's Gillette Tech. It's working beautifully for me, and it's 2013. 65 years later it's still a great razor. If you like it, you'll never need to buy another razor! (emphasis on need, because I know we all have wants :wink2:)

If you're simply un-sure about the razor, use one of your own blades, and then if you don't like it, the packaging is still intact with original blades, and you can list the razor as "bought new, used once, didn't like it, cleaned meticulously to mint condition, original blades still brand new"

$Jackie-Chan-Meme.jpg

If you got it to use, by all means use it. But, NOS items fetch a premium. If you were ambivalent about using it, sell it and use the proceeds to acquire different user grade razors (as another poster suggested). Ultimately, these are only things, which hopefully add some enjoyment to your life.

I have a NOS Schick razor that's not accessible thus it'll stay that way. Besides being that everything about it is a 10 I'll never open it. My wife forbade me to sell it:D

Top Bottom