What's new

Savon le Père Lucien (Le Père Lucien Soap)

I am sorely, sorely tempted to by some of this. If for no other reason than the incredible retro tins. The labeling is an immediate draw and from all accounts, the product inside is quite good. When I first got into this I saw guys posting about heavy glass jars for Castle Forbes shave cream and remember liking the metal tubes Geo. F. Trumper uses(used? I don't know if they are all plastic now) for their shave creams. When you buy high end goods it is nice to have high end packaging. I also get it that skipping the upscale packaging keeps prices very reasonable. I would simply like it if you could have the option for high calibre packaging. I have approached more than one artisan maker and offered to pay substantially more for upscale containers and packaging. Some interested, some not. Anyroad, great thread and some day I will have to try this.

Cheers, Todd

This was my soap of the day today. Even though I am new to this, I really love this soap. It is a great performer and I get great shaves from it. It also leaves my face feeling great the rest of the day. I'll have to always keep some of this on hand for special occasions - it may be my go to soap. . . well, for now. I still have a lot of soaps to try! :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would consider myself lucky as I was able to buy a small sample to try this soap. I'm happy that I did as this one, while the lather was good, I didn't love the scent. Too much sage. It's a matter of taste here but I was expecting more lavender, maybe more rosemary but anyways. I can't say that the performance was bad, it was good. The soap is closer to a cream than a soap IMO.

I worked the sample a few times now and I will finish it no problems. I was mainly curious as I saw all the reviews on the French forum and thought this might be the next big thing (might be) but not for me.

Le pere Lucien is a fabulous cream-soap. Shaved with him yesterday and he exceeded my expectations!
will encore it on the very next shave!
proxy.php

Just shaved with it two days ago and it performed great! I ended up buying Myrsol Agua Balsamica splash because it has some similar scents involved. I also ordered another large pot of LPL because having 1 tub was not enough! I will take this over almost all soaps everytime and the scent profile has changed my nose forever.

Sarimento, you have a beautiful looking shave with that setup. Glad you enjoy this almost as much as I do! :laugh: Naw, just kidding. Cheers

Hey Sarimento1 nice picture! Is that the 200g tin or the 100g one?

thanks, zip; that's the small 100g roundish tin.

shaved with him again the next day; but i think i got overconfident and gave him too much water initially.
it just did not lather as well as the first time and i was too lazy to add more product.
it probably wants to be watered slowly with time to aerate and whip up.
but still a nice shave; next time, i'll add the water more gradually.

proxy.php

So I have shaved with this twice and I am REALLY impressed. Today's shave was, without reservation, one of my finest ever. I used my DE89 today and used a shavette on Friday with this soap. Both times the soap performed wonderfully. It is not the slickest soap I have used, but I find that it cushions and protects extremely well regardless. Further, I find it hydrates my skin very well. I used alcohol based aftershaves after both shaves (Fine American Blend Friday and a Myrsol Agua Balsamica today) and my face is very well hydrated.

As as for the scent...I could definitely see it being polarizing and off putting for some people. Not everyone loves the scent of MdC either. These are the only 2 French soaps I have used and there seems to be a similarity in how they scent their soaps...garden herbs appear to be their preference. I find it is a nice, earthy natural type scent rather than being heavily perfumed. I have a fougere cologne from Murdock London which, when I smell, I get a note of dirt, as if I had been digging in the earth. This complements that scent very nicely. MdC fougere bath soap is also very earthy, and this is perhaps where I best sense the desire of the soap makers to create these natural organic type scents in their soaps. I like it and rather than forsaking the scent will be over at the fragrance section of this forum to find a new fragrance which really compliments this one.

This soap is, for me, a top performer and my initial impressions are that I don't have much need for MdC anymore. This soap is fantastic and has already earned a permanent spot in my shave den.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
A bit of a necro, but I have some on the way from Bullgoose. Really excited to try this stuff. I like MdC but it's a bit drying for me, so I'm really hoping I'll love this.

A bit of a necro, but I have some on the way from Bullgoose. Really excited to try this stuff. I like MdC but it's a bit drying for me, so I'm really hoping I'll love this.

If MdC is drying for you then you might want to try adding more water to the lather. I was doing it the same way when I first started using it but once I added more water it was at a whole new level.

LPL really is a great soap as well.

I have been using Le Pere Lucien traditional scent soap for months and would not do with out it. The scent reminds me of eucalyptus, it makes plenty of later (using distilled water) and leave my face feeling great.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If MdC is drying for you then you might want to try adding more water to the lather. I was doing it the same way when I first started using it but once I added more water it was at a whole new level.

LPL really is a great soap as well.

I don't have MdC anymore (gave it to a friend) but I'm considering ordering some Fougere because of all the good things I've heard about the scent. I don't feel like I had any issues with water but I'll get around to trying it out again sooner or later. I don't like having bad luck with soaps that are so widely loved so I keep wanting to give it another run. It's probably just a matter of time before I order more.

I have been using Le Pere Lucien traditional scent soap for months and would not do with out it. The scent reminds me of eucalyptus, it makes plenty of later (using distilled water) and leave my face feeling great.

Eucalyptus? Curiously, i don't get that scent when i sniff it.

Shaved twice with LPL traditional scent. Excellent soap and I even like the smell. However, it burns my face a bit. Does anyone have similar experiences?

It took me about 3 shaves to really decode this soap. Dryer brush at the beginning really helped.

It is slowly becoming one of my favorites of all time

LPL is a very nice shaving soap with great post shave feel. I can`t say I use it often but once I finish off what I have already opened up it will be more regular in my shaving rotation.

I agree... LPL post shaving feel is great, nicer than MdC - not to mention is almost 1/2 price.
Performance wise, seems to be exactly the same.

It is also a lot softer so it will not last nearly as long. It may be actually more expensive per use.

true, LPL is softer but is not a soft soap... I used it about a dozen times, with a Maggard synthetic, and i don't even see a dent.
I bought 2 200g tins from Connaught, for 15 pounds a pop (~$21, cheaper than CRSW - i should've bought refills as well, too late now). If i remember correctly, MdC was $60+ and don't use it much, dries my skin a bit, especially in the winter.
I can not comment on scent, is not my first concern (usually, i buy the soap to shave with, not sniff it) so MdC MIGHT be nicer but i dont have an opinion.
IMO, the post shave feeling is second to none and gives MdC a good run for its money..

Top Bottom