What's new

Cookin' with coffee

I have way too much coffee here. I won't be able to drink it all before it goes bad- anyone have any ideas to use it for cooking? All I'm coming up with so far is coffee-flavored muffins and using the cheap ground stuff to clean cast iron :001_tongu

Send it to me. I will happily use it to make soap :lol:

On a more serious note, you could start by adding a hint of coffee to your favorites desserts. Brownies, cakes, etc. all go well with coffee.

I use coffee in dry rubs all the time, it adds a deep note that folks like - but cant pick out.

Chili and other spicy stews would seem a good match, other than that I can only think to pair it with foods that call for dark unsweetened chocolate

A lot of vegetarian chili recipes use coffee, either brewed or instant. I tried it, and it adds a nice depth of flavor. Makes me wonder what other uses it has with vegetables.

Hm, chili sounds great. I tend to add a bunch of rum to my chilis, I think I'll throw in a cup of coffee next time too. Now im thinking of using some for chocolate chip cookies too.

Keep 'em coming, guys these are great.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Redeye gravy over grits.

Fry up some ham slices in a large cast iron skillet. Bacon? Yeah okay.

Pour off all but 2 tbsp. of the grease. With ham you should not have any excess to pour off.

Sprinkle 2 heaping tbsp. flour into the grease. Stir stir stir. Don't let it burn.

When the flour is nice and brown add half a small onion finely chopped and about a match head of garlic powder.

When the onions start to brown, pour in a cup of coffee and stir stir stir. It will thicken. Keep adding coffee and stirring, keep it bubbling, stir the stucky stuff from the bottom of the skillet.

Serve over grits with ham on the side.

Do you just use finely ground coffee grounds, or do you pour some brewed coffee over the meat?i

just coffee finely ground, added as you would any other powdered spice. It really is a versatile ingredient for boldly flavored foods, I keep meaning to try it in braises

Blasphemy! Wasn't coffee carried by the 3 wise men to wake up baby Jesus? J/K

I often use hot coffee to reconstitute dry chunky oatmeal and steel cut oats.

I use coffee in both my BBQ dry rub and my Sauce-
Here is a non-secret version of the sauce, it is a good jumping off point to make it your own.

$Goose juice label -framed.jpg
BBQ finishing/dipping sauce:
Goose juice~

• 2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup dark molasses
  • 4 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon lemon peel/zest
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of arrowroot or corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 cup white vinegar

Heat ketchup and molasses on stovetop over low heat. Combine spices and vinegar, add to pot.
Strong coffee to thin (about 1/2 -3/4 cups) wait and see how much you need. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken as it cools.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes to a half hour. Mix with stick blender several times, then bottle.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use a very similar BBQ sauce that Jim posted.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/coffee-granita-recipe/index.html

OR brew a really strong batch and put it in ice cube trays. pop them out and put them into freezer bags and repeat. Great for making iced coffee. Or throw them in the blender with some milk and a cookie or a brownie and have a frappucino.

http://ecosalon.com/20-unusual-uses-for-coffee-423/

This has everything from reducing cellulite :) to growing mushrooms :chef:. It makes a good soil additive and repels ants and slugs and cats.

Or grind it very very fine and put it in a shaker with some rice or popcorn kernals to keep it from clumping and shake it onto meats, veggies, and fresh fruit.

Top Bottom